Frame rate decrease after the BF3 patch

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Yesterday, I updated to 11.11a and noticed a nice improvement in performance. Nothing ground breaking but enough to see that the perf overlay chart ms results was a little lower and with less spikes. Frame rates improved at 1080 resolution and was more flat when there was a lot of explosions going on in a 64 player server.

As of today, after the update, my frame rates are a lot lower then it was before. The perf ovelay chart is spiking all over the place. After trying a few servers (both 32 and 64 player) nothing I have done so far changes this. I also found a threads here:
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3-pc/1456369-lost-10fps-after-patch.html
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1456726-fps-drops-after-latest-patch.html
    discussing the issue and that person isn't using a AMD card.

I have to wonder if we need a new driver. I don't know...call it 11.11b or something because 11.11a was working great for me yesterday before the patch.

Note:
    I rarely create threads like this as I usually don't have problems. But when I do I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. kazama

kazama Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    Happened to me too, yesterday with 11.11a all was smooth, today, im getting shuttering on turnings, and lower framerate with explosions.

Maybe i give a try to 8.93? or rollback to 11.11whlq?

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Yes, the explosions, etc are causing a pretty nasty frame rate hit. Something I didn't experience before. Even before cat 11.11a the frame rate hit with explosions was miniscule and not relevant. Now it's a problem.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Funny that u mention that, i had always FPS drop in BF3 no matter high medium or even the LOWEST settings. after patch is became WORSE, hmm so much for increase performance.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The patch did something to performance. For us it's not a favorable one. The only thing I can think of is:
    1. A new patch to address the performance issue.
    2. AMD released a 11.11b that can some how compensate for whatever they did in the patch.

6. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Have you tried 11.11a with the latest CAP? If that didn't work 11.11whql and 11.11 cap2 work fine with the patch.

7. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    I found the same thing a hit of around 15% overall to framerate, :)

8. mentalpeace

mentalpeace Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 Oc edition
    in caspian border 64 players everything Ultra except texture (high) 1920x1080 i have 28-30 fps with 47%-50% of cardes used.

9. Tmax

Tmax Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5870 Crossfire
    I am running 11.11 with Cap 2. Big drop in frame rates. I went from running Ultra to High with my 5870 CF set up.

10. illprem

illprem Guest

GPU:
    I've noticed this same exact thing...I'm in the process of installing the leaked Nov. 3rd drivers as those have given me the best performance to date in BF3. After the BF3 patch, its laggy even on my 6990 (eyefinity, though) with both 11.11a performance AND 8.93 leaked

11. mentalpeace

mentalpeace Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 Oc edition
    please tell us if with Nov 3rd drivers runs well.

12. stephenk

stephenk Guest

GPU:
    6970 unlocked 2gb
    gonna boot up soon after a download finishes and let the update roll out.. hopefully this isnt bad as im thinking... how can a game get worse? :(

13. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    maybe they enabled some eye candy stuff that wasnt previously available

i seen many people say, theres no difference between ultra and high textures for example

14. illprem

illprem Guest

GPU:
    Okay guys, I just got rid of 8.93 performance, since both it and 11.11a turned horrible for me after the patch in Battlefield 3.

I got my game running smooth using the same exact settings / config as I had before the patch. It's fluid and really playable again :banana: Here's what I did:

Step 1: *Fully* uninstalled current drivers as follows:

* Kill all ATI-related running processes (atieclxx.exe, atiesrxx.exe, CCC.exe, MOM.exe)

* If you're changing from official AMD drivers (example: 11.11, 11.11a Performance etc) then Go to Control Panel --> "Programs and Features" and run "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" and do: "Express Uninstall All AMD Software" -- if you're changing from any of marthand's leaked drivers (example: 8.93 leaked) then this will not be available so you will need to follow the next step:

* If using marthand's leaked drivers you must use Microsoft's tool called Windows Installer Cleanup available here to delete all of the junk that these drivers leave behind. The stuff that will need to be removed using Windows Installer Cleanup includes AMD APP SDK Runtime AND EVERYTHING listed in this picture: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3748/cccty.jpg

* Uninstall Catalyst Application Profile from Control Panel --> Programs and Features, but do not reboot yet

* Run Driver Sweeper 3.2.0 -- available here, selecting the "AMD - Display" preset, clean, but don't reboot.

* (If you have it, Run Driver Cleaner.net 3.4.6.0 and select all ATI related entries, and select advanced cleaning. Let it run and delete files, but choose reboot later.)

* Run ATIMan Uninstaller v6.0.0.0 -- available here -- "Selective uninstallation (option menus)" mode. Don't delete chipset drivers if installed.

* Manually delete any leftover ATI/AMD directories from Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, AppData\Local, and AppData\Roaming

* Manually delete any leftover ATI/AMD entries in registry (regedit.exe) from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node

* Optional but recommended: run the latest CCleaner using its 'Cleaner' and 'Registry' cleaning functions

* Finally, now you can reboot

Step 2: Install Nov. 3 BF3 Driver

* Install the "AMD Driver Nov 3 smooth Battlefield 3 gameplay" Driver from marthand available here

* Reboot

* After reboot, install AMD 11.11 CAP 1 -- available here -- I did not try CAP2, but if 11.11a + CAP2 / 8.93 + CAP2 is an indication, it will be crappy on my system so I used CAP1 instead.

* Reboot

Step 3: Tweaked user.cfg file

Download this tweaked user.cfg file. It will increase BF3's performance/smoothness and likely provide 10-20 more fps WITH LITTLE TO NO LOSS IN VISUAL QUALITY -- available here -- Extract the user.cfg file to the folder that contains BF3.exe (IT MUST BE IN THIS FOLDER!) -- it will most likely be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3 -- I believe that in addition to the Nov. 3 drivers this is the CRITICAL STEP that increased the smoothness/playability of the game for me

Finally, play the game! I hope this makes the game for you as smooth as it now is for me (post-patch)!

15. Alph4Dawg

Alph4Dawg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC
    Aight, I did what illprem did.
    Uninstalled my AMD drivers, booted into safe mode and cleaned with driver cleaner, installed 'AMD Driver Nov 3 smooth Battlefield 3 gameplay' drivers and AMD 11.11 CAP1.Extracted 'user.cfg' into BF3 folder and now it's really running smooth!

Thanks a bunch!

16. iamgamefreak

iamgamefreak Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    The user.cfg illprem posted has...

Code:
    WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
    RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
    RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
    Render.DrawFps 0
    WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
    WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
    RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
    Render.PerfOverlayEnable 0
    PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
    As far as I can understand it seems to disable dx11 mode and AO....So we have to disable dx11 and AO to get smooth gameplay? :3eyes:

17. Shadowsong316

Shadowsong316 Guest

GPU:
    SLI EVGA Titans H20
    That does seem to be exactly what it does, not a viable resolution to the problem if you ask me. Not to mention the lack of shiny!

18. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its been acknowledged that the patch screwed with performance, even on Nvidia cards, DICE is working on a patch for the patch.

19. syncore

syncore Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    I tried the above fix. It works, even if you take out the "RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0" line. Also, there is no visual difference with that setting at either 0 or 1, it still renders DX11 anyway. Plus, even if there was a difference, games are about GAMEPLAY and not all about graphics. Are you busy looking at rocks and trees on the battlefield or trying to do objectives?

20. sink257

sink257 New Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850 1GB Crossfire
    The frame rate drop is caused mostly by the **** patch the DICE has shat out.