The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim no crossfire support again

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mao5, Nov 10, 2011.

1. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    I remember reading that this game doesn't use much in the way of shaders but is texture heavy so it's possible, but not likely IMO that you're loading up all your vram.

2. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I'm getting the error where on the intro, the dragon lands on the tower (while you're abotu to be beheaded), and as soon as the dragon roars the game crashes. Very consistently it'll crash at this exact point. I don't know if it's the video card or my system, but it's annoying as hell as I can't play the game at all.

My laptop has old as drivers for an HD4670 and plays the game fine, why can't my PC? (everything at stock clocks).

3. wafu88

wafu88 Guest

GPU:
    DDR3
    Yep. Bethesda pretty much said this has more texture than Oblivion. But in terms of shaders and post-processing, it's minimal. The only thing they took advantage of with DX11 was for performance.

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I dont think they used any dx11 calls...

5. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    You do the sound fix? That is set your sound control panel to 24bit 44.1Khz studio quality. Seems that the audio Skyrim is looking for doesn't play nice with anything else set.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Really? Crysis profile is OK at first but when I use the interface, map or anything like that the FPS suddenly drops from 60 to 45. Though I admit that I've not used the DLL.
    For me the Oblivion profile + Vsync works best except for one thing...lag indoors while checking a corner or a wall or something like that. Seems quite random too and even though the FPS seems to drop, the RadonPro FPS counter still tells me that I have 60 fps.

7. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    im tried FalloutNV, fallout3, crysis, bioshock profiles but still bad gpu scaling, damn it.
    Skyrim runs better with cfx disabled (hd6850) for me -.-"

8. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    try oblivion

9. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    try with AFR mode. It didn't work without it for me. I prefer fallout3.exe

10. Artifice

Artifice Guest

GPU:
    unlocked 6950 2Gig xfire
    To completely kill stuttering you need to lock your refresh rate at 59Hz for 60hz monitor panels, it has something to do with a sync bug with how skyrim runs at 64Hz even when its reporting 60Hz (64hz bug, as it has been called)

Fix is to limit your frames to 59Hz
    Download dxtory and disable all check box's other than limit FPS to 59hz under the advanced tab. This seems to be a better fix than disabling Vsync and letting your gpu/game engine - burn energy/overwork/bug out

i was able to put everything on ultra with that fix with 4xAA + 16xAF @ 1920x1200

seems the 64Hz sync bug plagued alot of previous elderscrolls games, oblivion for definate, if you minimised every setting in the options and put it at the lowest resolution it'd still stutter in towns. I suspect morrowind had it aswell, i remember turning had stutter even on the lowest of settings.

Thing is it's funny how 59Hz refresh rates missing from catalyst control centre, it used to be there. wonder if your vsynced to that it'd fix the issue.
    Is it missing so it would constantly seem like ya need a GPU upgrade?

I assume the gpu manufacturers pay/extort some of the studios to help push forward GPU upgrade sales by doing unrealistic performance settings/stroke/graphics for next generation hardware (fine line there), but this 64Hz bug is :thumbdown

Could be wrong but it seems like you can push up most of those eye candy settings once its syncing at 59Hz, if the sync issue was eating up GPU performance aswell as lagging you, between that missing performance and never truely having an end in sight with computer upgrades on a set of games that could never trully be running perfectly smooth.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

11. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    i managet to get good sclaling with atm cfx xtension 1.4 http://www.radeon3d.org/downloads/ati_software_und_tools/ati_crossfire_xtension/get/
    Setting: fallout3 profile, force cfx, and AFR render (other renders wont work)
    i tried the other render too but i just got gfx malfunction

the fps i now "ok" but in towns i still get fps drops

Edit:
    never mind I didnt read the full thread. someone posted this already

i heard that some nv powered games have powerlimiters when an amd gpu is detectet. I still dont know i that is rly treu but we all now nv thy will do everthing to get more sales

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  12. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772

I think that's called AMD driver team incompetence :puke2:

It seems that Nvidia can get a driver out to enable SLI scaling 2 days before release and over a week later AMD still hasn't figured it out. Something is wrong, seriously wrong. It's not the hardware at all no matter what people might say. The drivers just aren't coming along in a timely manner and it seems that they don't leave a fix intact when they attempt to fix another game. That should never happen. No I don't program, but if these guys worked for me and broke one thing to fix another they would not have a job. Just saying.

13. sabar

sabar Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 6950 2gb Xfire
    Best performance by disabling crossfire so far and putting a good overclock on the CPU. No difference between 2 or 4 core affinity. All the other crossfire profiles are doing is leading to more crashes for me.

14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  15. wafu88

wafu88 Guest

GPU:
    DDR3
    Awesome. Bethesda lied to us all then.

16. Artifice

Artifice Guest

GPU:
    unlocked 6950 2Gig xfire
    download ENBseries skyrim patch
    the enbseries_skyrim_v0092patch5.zip
    fix's microstutter + other issues without graphics rendering issues like with the previous 59Hz dirty fix i suggested.
    the ENB patch doesn't work with radeonpro

these 11.11a's rule though for a single card, I'm just going to wait for official xfire fix's

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  17. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    The game wont start at all if I didn't do that. But yes I did do that prior. I have tried absolutely everything, seems to be a rare bug some people are having that cripples the game.

18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I have my audio set to digital out, 48000khz, 16bit. Skyrim runs normally...

19. Duftreg

Duftreg Guest

GPU:
    GB HD6850 CF
    For me CF works perfectly.

1 x Gigabyte 6850 OC

2 x Gigabyte 6850 OC

Disabled the VSync in Skyrim.ini file under section [Display] added the line iPresentInterval=0.

Everything on ultra/high, maximum distances etc. 1680 x 1050.

Disabled and enabled crossfire from catalyst control center for the tests.

AA is the killer -> 3 settings in CCC in 3D Application Settings section:

1. Multi-sample AA -> 97 FPS
    2. Adaptive Multi-sample AA -> 75 FPS
    3. Super sample AA -> 41 FPS

These FPS are all on the same area as the two pictures above, every other setting in CCC was default.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  20. T1mmy

T1mmy Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    For people having problems with skyrim, I run the game at ultra with all setting at max. But everytime after I got a loading screen the game start to get low fps. But when I ALT-TAB out of the game and back in the game runs very fluent again :s. So for those experiencing low fps or fps drops, ALT-TAB'ing might help.

My Gpu's 2 x 5870 11.10 beta drivers.