3.4 omegas w/ 9800-> softmod

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Big Brown, May 17, 2003.

1. Big Brown

Big Brown Guest

Well I just installed 3.4 omegas w/ 9800 soft mod, 7 I have to admit I am impressed. Played desert combat & graphics looked cleaned up and overall quality was impressive. Also my FPS were up about 5-10 from before. Thank u ATI 4 finally making decent drivers.

2. Big Brown

Big Brown Guest

3. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    Vey nice job by the Omega dude, i'm very impressed, thanx for the info Big Brown :)

4. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 6600GT 128MB
    which ones are the ones to get?

5. vasot

vasot Guest

Well Omegas has nothing to do with ATI

The responsible for the Omegas are made from some non Nvidia or non ATI ppl

They are based on the official drivers but they are not Official at all
    They are Tweaked to run even better from the official normaly(just like beta)but without taking responsibility for anything that goes wrong...

I had some bad and good moments with them when i had a Gf4

It seems they were better in performance or in quality from the official sometimes and not always...but acted with strange behavior in certain games...

So i prefer the Real Companies drivers and not Non omega drivers...Beta or Official

6. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    Work fine for me so far :)
    Got another boost on 3d mark and on actual framerate in games plus i like all those little addons that came with the Omega drivers, like the built in overclocker in the control panel the artifact tester and plenty more :)

7. [SHS.Donny]

[SHS.Donny] Guest

Well the Omega refuses to work with me at all, having said that the official ones only work about half the time. So yeah. My system is buggered.

8. steef

steef Guest

dont listen to vasot - he lives in a place where video games are illegal. :p

J/K vasot, hes on the right track there, cept credit should be given to both Killersneak for his slightly faster with better IQ DNA drivers, and Omega for his drivers with magnificent IQ... hell the Aniso with omegas looks soooo good

9. Big Brown

Big Brown Guest

Sorry, to clarify, I was referring to the overall increase of the 3.4's not the omegas. However, props to the them as well.

I really liked the artifact tester that came with it, that was one of my concerns w/ the 3.2's is, I wasnt sure if I was getting artifacts or not.

10. Silverfox

Silverfox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560ti
    Omega apparently does some fine tune tweaking of ATI`s drivers to enhance in- game play, while you most likely will take a slight hit of maybe 150 pts. give or take when benchmarking 03. In game play is what you should be concerned about , not benching. ;)

11. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    which ones are the ones to get for the 9500 -> 9700 drivers

12. Silverfox

Silverfox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560ti
    Either the ATI`s or the Omega`s will work fine for you. In fact download them both, and install the ATI`s first, try them out, then uninstall the ATI`s and then try the Omega`s. The Omega`s will include the control panel in it`s one d/l and it will install both the drivers and control panel at the same time. Just remember to uninstall your previous or current drivers from your pc`s control panel (add/remove programs), shut system down, re-boot, and then run the Driver Cleaner utility program, which you can find at www.driverheaven.net Then install the Omega`s and try them. You can find the Omega`s at www.omegacorner.com Good Luck! ;)

13. rogz

rogz Member

GPU:
    16bpipe x800 Pro
    new omegas are really good :D

Does the extra 9800 hack actually do anything apart from changing the chipset name tho?

cant see it :(

14. Silverfox

Silverfox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560ti
    I dont really think so anymore. It did when we were running the Omega 3.2`s. Go to www.omegacorner.com and write him an e-mail and ask him personally. He`s a real nice guy, and I know he will respond back to you.;)

15. bor

bor Guest

Are these omega drivers so good? is it interesting to try? i'm curious but i like the official drivers of ati also. and don't wanna mess up my system

16. bor

bor Guest

by the way when you softmod a 9700 to a 9800 and when you uninstall the drivers is it still a 9800?

17. mengy

mengy Member Guru

GPU:
    no because the 9700 -> 9800 is done with the drivers

18. Silverfox

Silverfox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560ti
    Like I said a few posts ago, I dont think with the 3.4`s you will see any difference. Other than using the omega`s the only reference would be under the adapter tab depicting the 9800 chip. Performance and quality will be pretty much the same between ATI`s official driver`s versus the Omega`s. And also like I previously stated, Omega may tweak the drivers for a little better quality for in game play and you may take a small hit on your 03 benchmark vs. the ATI drivers, because of his modifications. Alot of folks like the Omega`s due to the fact the control panel is included in one download and one install, and he throws in a few utility programs. They also say the visual effects on screen are a little better with the Omega`s. With my eyes I cant really see any difference, but no two eyes are the same! This release around, I have tried them both and presently I went back to the ATI officials. Omega incorporated the softmod back when ATI released the 3.2`s, and the Omega 3.2`s at that time were a better performer versus the ATI 3.2`s. This time around in my opinion you can just flip a coin!;) http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=779950

19. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    I cant get GTA Vice City to work with these Omega 3.4. The patch 1.1 does not make any difference. When I enter the main menu, a black screen with severe artifacts appear. Or graphics are corrupted in game.

Anyone tried Vice City with these drivers?

I got a Sappire 9500 Pro, Soltek Sl-75DRV-4 (KT266A), 1800+, 512 PC2100.

Btw: I cant clock the card with the driver. Damn...Is a bios-hack the only option? The Redline utility was missing from my package (does Redline enable overclocking with orig. stock bios?)

thx

20. Silverfox

Silverfox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560ti
    You may be having a conflict with the overclocker utility, Omega inserted in his d/l. Try deleting his OC utility if you can and re-try the system in game playing. Also did you run the Driver Cleaner program prior to installing the Omega`s? If not you can find it here: www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ Run the DC program and then re-install the Omega`s, and and again delete his OC utility.;) P.S. Get your system running your games right before you try any OCing the video card. Then use either PowerStrip,Rage3dtweaker, or Riva-Turner for OCing. :)

Last edited: May 20, 2003