New AMD Performance Drivers releases this week

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol :D

Has there ever ever ever, in the history of AMD/ATI/nVidia ever been a magic driver that made everything gold and shiny ?

Nope, and there never will... I`ve seen these threads for years and when the mystical driver is released, its as buggy and crap as all the rest

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Please don't thread crap. There have been a few very good drivers over the years from my experience.

3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Think of it as having a one lane road vs a two lane road.

If the main road is being occupied then you have to wait till its clear before you can go on it. If you have two or more lanes (multithreaded) you can have multiple cars going in and out.

Basically if that specific core is being used but not being fully utilized then its kind of a waste, but if it can do two or more simultaneous things then you're making use of the whole core itself.

There will be Pros and Cons for it as well, the game engine may have to support or have code for it to use the technology. Lets just hope game developers will take advantage of new technology in the future...

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I`m not thread crapping - these threads appear every now and then and people who don't know any better get their hopes up - all these benchmarks appear with 23% extra in this and 40% extra in that and when the driver comes about - people see like 1fps better in one thing a 5fps worse in another

If you can not handle people having a different opinion on drivers than you then you shouldn't make a thread in a forum where people know better

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Just to add a bit to your analogy...

Even though the highway is multi-lane, the off ramp is still single lane

but having the multiple lanes on the highway allow for more efficient loading of the offramp...

lol

in other words, the trick will be how to efficently execute those mulitple command threads...

certain functions will lend themselves to this "paralellizing", others wont...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
  7. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    what are you going on about with console ports? Most games now period are texture heavy, otherwise everyone complains about teh textures!

8. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    yet properly coded pc games can have much more on screen than any console game, but I guess it might be a pain to code around. M$ pisses me off. And the ex employee from codemasters who made crappy games... Look at arma 2 compared to his ****ty work.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    thats my point, console ports are texture heavy (i suppose all games are at this point really)....the MT implementation will be able to load those textures draws up in the new command threads much quicker freeing up the GPU to do other things...

The reality is people complain about the texture resolution, but the developers have to play a balancing act between speed and texture fidleity..the faster draws will created additional resources for higher fidelity..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Problem with console games is their built around texture streaming, the PC is not great at that. We need the textures cached and loaded into memory that's where our advantage would be.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    thats what MT will help...the CPU will be doing allot of the heavy lifting, and the GPU can foicus on the render rather than spending its time mucking about with transfers..

12. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    pc exclusive games do it too, especially mmos. It seems nvidia drivers are better at this. Even on dx9. I think things are going to get reall interesting soon, the "great firewall of USA" looks to be coming... bye bye piracy.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I have to wonder if that would require any additional patching for such games? From the looks of it so far it doesn't.

14. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    well the last time the amd driver team got us all hyped and wetdreaming about an awesome new driver architecture we got the catalyst control center in .net and weighting 150mb..

can't wait to see what they'll come up with this time... ahem ;)

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Thanks for the bumpage ;)
    It will be interesting to see how this turns out. But by no means do I take it to mean that it will be a one time thing. I see it as something that will evolve in future drivers if all this turns out to be true.

But I noticed some writing on the wall.
    -AMD will release next gen GPU 1st, again.
    -AMD is releasing performance drivers that is suppose to be more DX11 oriented

Looks like AMD is going all out this time. Sure we got a new face lift with CCC a few months ago. But this time it seems they are making sure they have both drivers and hardware inline this go around. If so, good news :).

16. stephenk

stephenk Guest

GPU:
    6970 unlocked 2gb
    so this is all due out tomorrow? if that's a positive then I signed up just to do this :banana:

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What was posted was that it would be released this week. If not tomorrow then hopefully an official announcement is made as to when it will be released.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I remember that the first Mjölnir gave some pretty impressive boosts and stability. After all 11.5 was one of the best drivers this year.

19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Should be out today, or early next week, cause they dont release anything from what i remember at end of the week.

20. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    They should tweak shaders for Deus ex 3 to stop lagging.