Skyrim crashing to desktop

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Huda, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Doesn't mean much actually... every system is different.
    Don't forget that only people who are having issues complain... people who have no issues are just exploring Skyrim and they have all kinds of hardware.

2. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    +1 :rolleyes:

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I have my sound card set at 192 khz,i get no problems whatsoever,yet to experience one crash,i dont play skyrim anymore cause im waiting for overhaul mods to appear.

4. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I've been playing around with the settings and now I only get crashes once every 3 - 4 hours, which is not too bad. I disabled the Steam overlay and the Xfire in-game menu and forced V-Sync off in the Nvidia drivers. Sound settings didn't have any effects for me.

5. Huda

Huda Member

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/2100
    This is the only thing that has worked so far. I did lower my clocks, but after this fix i just put everything back to the way they were. Even the sound. No problems so far.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Seems they are working on a big patch at the moment to fix performance issues and such. Can't wait =]

7. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    It's unbelievable how someone can release a game as buggy as this, I have gone through a ton of games the past few years, many indie games and low-budget ones and I have yet to have these many CRUCIAL bugs with a game for ages.

What's going on with this game? Seriously..
    Here is the specifications of my system, and I had to make another FurMark, Prime95, memtest+ and Intel Burn Test run just to make sure the system is okay.

Asus Rampage III Extreme, latest BIOS
    Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.0GHz, rock stable with HT off
    3x 2GiB Corsair Dominator GT 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-20-1T, checked with memtest86+
    Zotac GeForce GTX580 AMP! 1.5GiB tried with both 285.79 BETA and 285.62 WHQL, tested stable with latest FurMark
    Auzentech Home Theater HD (Creative X-Fi technology)
    LSI MegaRaid 9260-8i running 8x Western Digital RE4 2TB in RAID6
    3x Intel X25-M 80GB Gen2 in RAID0 on the ICH10R controller
    1x Intel 510 250GB running on the Marvell SATA3 controller for games
    Intel Pro/1000 ET Dual NIC
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1 with all updates, running all the latest drivers mostly downloaded from station-drivers.com
    Dell UltraSharp U2711 monitor

There is no reason why this game shouldn't function properly. My first problem was the game randomly crash to desktop without any error message at all. This seemed to be related to me gaming at 2560x1440 resolution, on ultra settings, with the INI tweaked for even higher settings and 16x AF and 8x AA made the game extend the 32-bit application limit of 2GiB max ram usage.

This could be solved by running on lower resolution, or turning down the graphical settings which I didn't really like to do as I had a rock stable 60+ FPS so why should I turn the settings down?

I tried the Large Address Awareness modification, but this has a rather awkward impact on my game, yes it can extend above 2GiB RAM but whenever I interact with something in-game, click the tab button or anything it will crash instantly. Why this happens I have no idea, and if I don't interact with nothing and do not press anything to bring the inventory or menu up it won't crash, but you can't play the game this way now, can you?

So my solution was to play in 1920x1200 (had to actually modify the INI in order to do this....) windowed mode which made the game stay slightly below 2GiB RAM usage.

But what happens next.. I get to the first town, I have to interact with Alvor in order to get my quest and when he says "But what's this all about? What are you two doing here?" the game instantly crash. There is no expect ion, I can run on the lowest setting, with 1280x720 resolution and it still happens. With or without the LAA mod and everything. There seems to be no way around this glitch?

Then I try this sound fix, setting my audio sample settings to 24 bit @ 44100 Hz but this doesn't change a thing.

So I copy my save game over to my girlfriends computer, apply the sound fix and try to interact with Alvor on her computer and instant crash again?! This is on a separate system, even though it features very similar hardware this just doesn't make any sense. What is up with this game? Is there no way around these critical glitches?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^

you can try my cfg. mentioned here, but change/add your reso/gpu in it..
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4164543&postcount=7

tweak both skyrim.ini and skyrimpref.ini

for smoother shadows use iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3, but dont change the rest of shadows values or it might get fuxed again - Shadow shimmer in the distance.. :nerd:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011