Skyrim Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Nov 10, 2011.

1. krishnarama108

krishnarama108 Guest

GPU:
    asus ati 5850 1gb 850mhz
    that benchmark on techspot is garbage...

2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I'm using an older catalyst driver (havent updated to most recent because I dont have any recent games besides this), and I renamed my exe to Oblivion as someone said it made it run better.

However, I have an issue where if someone catches on fire, the fire is giant black boxes. So if I'm on fire fighting a dragon, I cant see anything. If I shoot fire at trolls I can't see what I'm aiming at.

Is this a game thing or drivers?

3. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Strange how some people's CFX works, and works well, and others not at all >.<

4. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    Driver because I don't have that

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You do know tomshardware is amd biased right?

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

No Hardcorp I goto daily, but yeah they fudged these performance numbers bigtime

I get a solid 60-70FPS at all times with the same settings they used, meanwhile they only got HALF of the framerates I got

So either they don't know how to configure a system, or their benchmarks were fudged

P.S. They also said Skyrim only shows use over two threads, meanwhile I start it up I see use over all eight threads

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
  7. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    interesting, can anyone else confirm this?

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    thanks man:bigsmile:, it works like a charm now. Rock solid at 60 fps on ultra settings on my 5870's. My X6 now use 2 cores full, before using the dll only maximum one core was used.

9. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    It doesn't saturate all 4 of my cores.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ROFL

Hardocp has partnership with AMD, and is one of the few reviewers that followed AMD's so called BF3 benchmarking guide (no MSAA), that was sent to all major reviewers.

11. wafu88

wafu88 Guest

GPU:
    DDR3
    My issue with them isn't that. As said before they are actually AMD biased.

The issue is they don't seem to do much research and all their reviews are done by just a few core people. If it doesn't work or something they don't like, then they make these general, blanket systems, because this is what they found, then it must be like that for all AMD or Nvidia.

Forget but remember they had some complaint about something and said they wouldn't pursue reviewing it further because they had issues even though millions of other users had no issues. I think personally they are morons personally, they seem to break their systems a lot.

Though I'm an AMD fan, I dislike HardOCP as much as I dislike Toms Hardware and PCPER.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    My issue with them is that there's rarely anything worth reading there.

Joe the Plumber could easily write for Hardocp.

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I actually consider their reviews the best around. Last article about Skyrim they complain about the lack of profile from AMD and praise Nvidia for the driver support.

They review with high resolutions and not 6990 crossfire @ 1080p ...lol.

14. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    Exactly...and their "best playable" benches are great. We know what each card is capable of playing with and get a good experience.

Plus it only makes sense to call out AMD for not having crossfire or having problems with single cards when the competition can have SLI preofile and good performance from single card solutions.

15. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    oh so you're seeing 2 cores maxed and the rest barely used?

16. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    That's not what I said, I said it doesn't saturate them all. Which tells me either windows is spreading the load out across all available threads by default and if you had a fast dual core you would simply see more usage than I do on 4 cores.

17. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    windows always spreads across the cores, take any single threaded app & usually you will see it spread

example: firefox (let's say 3.6) being busy rendering something, 25% total cpu usage on a quad core, but you see small amounts all 4 cores instead of just 1 (unless you set affinity, then you'll still see identical performance & identical total 25% usage)

toms had the cpu charts that clearly showed gains based on cpu speed, but almost no useful gains with 4 -> 6 -> 8 cores at fixed 3ghz, therefore skyrim isnt taking as many cores as it can like bf3 or some video encoder

18. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2
    Same thing happened to me after I copied that ATI*.DLL file posted in this thread to game directory. Doubled my performance, but my fire spell is distorted with black boxes.

19. grimeleven

grimeleven Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870X2 2GB
    Use Radeon Pro instead http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4159680&postcount=118

Code:
    Blocky black flames bug fixed when setting below

Radeon Pro
    Profile = The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
    Catalyst AI = Advanced
    MVPUMode= AFR

20. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest