SKYRIM - Performance Issues!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Altra001, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Strange, it plays at 60fps steady for me at Ultra, view distance with all bars maxed, shadows/decals to high, and FXAA on. Half way though the game. :3eyes:

2. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    the thing about this game is you can play in huge outdoors with many trees and enemies on 60 fps - but inside a cave in a certain spot the fps go down to 35 for few seconds even though there is nothing impressive graphically going on..

3. WDeranged

WDeranged Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    From what I can tell on the Bethesda forums it's mostly GTX 580 owners having trouble, though, lots of 580 users are running it fine.

I'm getting the same issues though, really low CPU and GPU usage but massive FPS drops even on medium/high settings, especially in towns at certain times of day, I suspect shadows are the culprit.

I'm using only FXAA and it looks fine to me, this game isn't too prone to jaggies on geometry, it's the foliage that needs smoothing.

4. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    I think GTX 570 users are also having troubles.

Anyone else having unusual low framerates indoors? In outdoor locations my framerates are decent (50-60 fps avg) but when I enter a building the avg framerate drops to 30-35 with short drops to ~20-25 fps!

Anyone else having this?

1920x1080 4XFSAA all ultra, no ini tweaks or SSAO

5. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    i just fired it up and rolled with the auto-detect settings for giggles. it selected 19x12 everything high except blur to medium, 8x aa, 8x af and it runs fantastic @ 40fps. gonna run with it like this for awhile until i run into drops or something

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Im getting 70-80+ all on ultra 4*aa with no fxaa, runs great with no drops on my 570, cpu usage is high though on all cores.

7. Jeffredo

Jeffredo Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 460 1GB @ 875 Mhz
    For all intents and purposes the same Gamebryo engine they've always used with modifications (and a new name). Do you guys remember the big FPS dips on the New Vegas Strip? Or the Imperial City Market District during the middle of the day? Or the Point Lookout Pier (FO3) when the tribals attack? Lots on NPCs clustered together = huge slowdowns in Bethesda games. Your hardware can be very capable and you'll still get a big drop when the camera points towards an NPC group. Just the way it is. I'm not saying it won't be optimized by a patch or can't be bullied through with over-the-top hardware, but it doesn't change the basic limitations of the game engine. Just go ahead and play - the whole game isn't large groups of NPCs.

8. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    Damn, that's practically the same hardware setup as mine.
    Which drivers do you use? And do you still have +70 fps indoors?
    Which resolution?

9. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    playing at 1920*1080 with the new nvidia beta drivers 285.79, not done any sort of tweaking just set it to ultra and turned aa down to 4 from 8

inside I'm getting 60 to 80 but very random e.g I can look at fire and people and I will get high fps but then look at a cupboard with some books on it and it will drop to 60

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    heh same here cpu max total usage 55% (avg 30-40%), gpu usually 30-50%, but then again i used vsync..

compared to Dirt3 cpu usage 96% gpu usage 100%, vsynced.

vram isnt a issue (max 800mb), 4xaa rest with maxed sliders..

Like i said it before the code can't keep the cpu busy and needs something with hacks to speed up single threaded part of the code >> SB, at least it looks like so..

Or maybe its because i "try before you buy" game fault?:pc1:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

11. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Hey Des, what about when you get to a villiage with lots of npc's. I get slowdowns in these areas but exploring the countryside I am up to around 100fps?Strange.

12. WDeranged

WDeranged Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    I suspected it was NPCs but It's more than just that, I've seen a group of eight or nine people with no slowdown but turn around to look at a mostly empty market place and it starts to chug, pretty typical issues for a Bethesda game though, really hope it gets fixed.

13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I'm only level 2, so I've only been to a few villages the one I'm at,at the moment has the big tree in the middle quite a few people walking round and I've been inside.

I will continue to monitor my fps as I get further.

and yeah while I wonder I get v synch 120fps

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just had the game crash twice without any errors. Seems more people have this issue. I hate console ports :(

15. buanaoda

buanaoda Guest

GPU:
    geforce 9600gt
    (Sorry for my english) Something very weird happend to me, every time i got those lags if you just press F5 for quick saving , it stops. when it comes back again after some time you just press it again and will stop. Try this and see if it works for you too. =)

16. Strider

Strider Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX470 Overclocked
    SLI performance will be fixed, there's always SLI drivers optimized for the games soon after they are released. It always containts SLI improvements.

I do think that all graphic options should be available ingame or at launcher. Before I start a new game I always spent a while finetuning all available settings to get optimum performance. I don't like it when games hide options that I want to alter.
    True you can go into .cfg or .ini files to set ur options, but why wanna go through the hassle of finding out what options to change etc. when game developers can very easily create a menu for you to change all available options to your liking!
    Screw autodetects and other sorts of "automized improvements", give me full control of how it looks, makes me a lot happier then a plug and play game which sets options I do not like and cannot change.

And I discovered my FPS isn't bad at all!!! I put all options to High (since my pc is fast but not top of the line anymore) and I get constant 60fps in the world and in caves and other instances. Only when I am in cities my framerate goes down to like 40 which is a shame, but not bad enough to no play the game.
    Seems like the start of the game is a bad benchmark to test ur fps, continu to play and u experience its better for the rest of the game.

True, some improvements may be made to the engine for pc's, but it isn't as bad as I first thought.

And apart from some minor bugs, the game is GREAT.

17. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    Fail console ports are fail. Aren't mostly all PC games are console ports nowdays?

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    during the opening scene i thought uh oh bad engine but since then have the occasional slow down but most of the time it runs great @ultra 1920x1200 4xaa and 16af.

but lets hope better drivers n some bugs are fixed (i saw a cow/bison doing some very odd stuff...think it was trying to balance on a fence).

19. eiren

eiren Active Member

GPU:
    GTX480 @ 890
    Anyone got the shadows not to look like dancing pixelated crap?

Shadows from the tree branches on the ground look horrible!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  20. Y1ROK

Y1ROK Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
    Same here. I just turned shadows off, and game looks much better without this dancing crap.
    fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000
    fShadowDistance=0.0000