GTX 470 getting hotter

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vidra, Nov 11, 2011.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hi guys, I need some advice with my Gainward GTX 470 graphics card. My problem is that it has been getting very hot lately. We all know Fermi cards run hot but this is too much.

Case well ventilated
    Ambient temp: 24C
    Idle temp (fan@40%): 80C!
    Idle temp (fan@66%): 58C

This is my fan profile:
    [​IMG]

When playing games, the fan really kicks in and manages to keep temps below 85C (except Crysis or similarly demanding games where it can exceed 90C), but quite frankly I'm annoyed by such high idle temps, not to mention the hurricane force noise coming from my gfx card.

I've tried vacuuming the card (there was little or no dust in it to begin with) but with no result. I'm a bit worried about trying to reseat the heat sink, as I've read many stories where people just made things worse by doing that. What do you think? What should I do? I'm worried about voiding my warranty and even if I decide to sell it, who's going to buy a card that goes up to 80C in idle on default settings.

If I do decide to reseat the HS, which paste do you think I should use? I've got a tube of AS5, but I've heard some people advising against it for GPUs as it is electrically conductive.

Thanks

2. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try compressed air

3. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Well, there was no dust to speak of, so that is definitely not the cause.

4. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    airflow inside case good?
    dust buildup?

those are the only things i can think off

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    driver issue?

I had a P-state issue with any 280.xx ~50-52C (just web browsing), usually its max 39-42C like now with 285.xx..

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    The case is well ventilated and was recently cleaned of dust, so unfortunately that's not it.

According to MSI Afterburner, the card volts down completely (51 MHz for the GPU and 100 MHz for the VRAM) when idle. I'll update the drivers and see if that helps.

7. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    80c* is nothing for GTX470.

folding and 91*c here with 70% fanspeed

8. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    80C is in idle at 40% fanspeed or playing games with 90% fanspeed (see the fan profile above). I'm not so worried about load temps, it's a fermi after all, it's the idle temps that bug me.

BTW, my card's VID is 0.912V at default (downvolted to 0.865V) and it's not overclocked. When overclocked I can get to 800MHz with 0.965V but it gets really hot then.

9. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Updated drivers to latest... no change! Any suggestions are welcome.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    what happens with older drivers - 275.xx?

If its the same, then yea could be dried out thermal paste or something like that..

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    repaste it

12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I agree it must be dried thermal paste, so you need to reapply new.

13. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    The latest 286.62 drivers make the card run considerably hotter due to them making the voltages higher

I've done a soldered volt mod on mine and I've had to dial back the overvolt to compensate. with 285.62 installed it was pushing 1.5v through the core! (actual multimeter measurement).

Lucky thing these First gen Fermi's are double-hard bastards!

So yeah, try putting the voltage down...

14. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    The card has already been downvolted from its original setting. I run it at default frequencies and the voltage has been lowered to 0.865V from the default value of 0.912V.

Yeah, the old drivers were 275.33.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice. I'll go get some TIM (the best I can get in these parts is Arctic MX4) and I'll reseat the heart sink. I hope I don't screw up the card, though!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  15. Hemectu

Hemectu Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX465 SC -> 470 SC
    Dont be too worried the GPU sink is separate from the pcb sink - at least for reference models. Just gently twist the sink off, it will (should) be stuck on there.

Just don't over-tighten the screws they strip easily. Just turn the screws until they stop and don't force them anything beyond.

Re-paste works great for me.

16. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Since the load temps are OK, the problem is more likely software related

17. angmar

angmar Guest

dude that thing has to be clogged with dust. Did you actually take iti apart an look? or did you just look through the IO shield on the back of the card. My 480 gains in tempature over the months and it is always because of dust and I just take it out every couple months an blow the dust out with an air compressor.

18. angmar

angmar Guest

Thermal paste should not be needing to be reapplied....the card isn't even two years old yet is it?? I have never applied thermal paste to my 480 and I game daily with it.

19. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    at default fan settings my 470 idles hot (70-80c mark) aswell
    i just force a profile to keep the fan at 60%@40c ramping upto 100%@75c...
    this keeps this card at about 45c idle (a secondary 9400GT idles at 52c!!)...
    its hitting about 90c max (averaging ~80c) in games
    (3D clocks profile set to 750/150/1800/1.000v and only kicks in when 3D app starts..2D clocks run default)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  20. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I took the plastic shroud off which gave me a full view of the heat sink and I got rid of what little dust there was in it.

Oh, and I don't have access to a compressor, and cans of compressed air are unbelievably expensive over here. 1 costs about 1/4 of the price of a Zalman VF3000... nuff said.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011