Got cable modem but need help splitting it up.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by [ R ], Nov 4, 2011.

1. [ R ]

[ R ] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GTX+ Quad Pipe
    So I was previously on DSL but due to phone line being **** my net got more and more unstable so I moved on to cable but the difference is the DSL modem given to me by the ISP had 4 ethernet ports allowing me to connect my PC / PS3 / and wi-fi router all at once but the new ISP has given me a motorola surfboard modem with a single ethernet port ... So I go to a nearby hardware store and buy THIS

but the issue I am running into is that I can't get ALL my devices to work together, i.e I can get my PC to work but Wi-fi or PS3 won't give me internet, on PS3 it ACQUIRES the ip address but it fails at internet connection and on Wi-fi it says signal is there but no internet ... and vice versa .. the point being that the above device is supposed to work as a splitter right? that all the ethernet devices connected to it would receive internet but instead I am not getting internet on ALL 3 of my main devices rather only one

I don't know if this is worth mentioning but cable ISP has put me on 512 KB plan and will bump me up to 4 Mbit later today ... I don't know if this was relevant or not but I thought what the hell.

If someone can help me out I would REAAAALY appreciate it

P.S This is my modem ... the one provided to me by the Cable ISP

2. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    7800XT
    Have you set the gateway ip address in each machine to match the routers gateway address? its usually something like 192.168.1.xxx.
    I had similar problems getting my Wii and PS3 to connect until i manually set the gateway address in them. Can you check the modem to see that it is set to give DCHP addresses? Just had a look at the manual for your modem and a switch/hub will work with it so i believe it could be the gateway IP address thats the problem the manual explains how to check it have a look and see if they match.

3. [ R ]

[ R ] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GTX+ Quad Pipe
    my motorola surfboard is 192.168.100.1 and that's about it ... and yeah its set and I have NO idea what you said but here is what my 100.1 page says about DHCP
    sorry man I am COMPLETELY clueless when it comes to networks ... I can disassemble and reassemble the most complex of systems but when it comes to networking I am CLUELESS

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    DHCP means the cable modem will give each device an IP on the same range as itself.

I am guessing that the new Switch / Router also has a DHCP server ?

You can only have 1 DHCP server per network or you run into problems, just to double check, if the switch also has a web interface like the cable modem, check that DHCP is OFF on that.

Other than that, you may need to set up each device not working with a static IP

PS3 - 192.168.100.50
    Gateway (IP of cable modem)
    DNS (IP of Cable Modem)

Any other devices, just add 1 to the end of the IP (Make sure each are different to each other)

ie 192.168.100.51 / 52 / 53 / etc etc

5. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    You need a router

So you need

MODEM--->ROUTER---->SWITCH----->PCs

Simply plugging a modem into a switch won't work (well it might for one pc only - can't say I've ever bothered to try)

You say you have a router? or do you mean a wireless access point, not a router?

6. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    You would need to pay for additional IP addresses, the switch only passes the IP through, so if there is only one IP it assigns it to the first device it finds, If there are two IPs it will assign to two devices and so on. YEARS ago before we had a router We had to pay time warned 5 bucks (or 10?) for an additional IP to run my computer upstairs off our switch.

So either pay for the additional cost for more IP addresses or buy a router.

A switch (as far as internet is concerned) is only a means to connect multiple devices to one modem.

7. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Its very unlikely that a giveaway device will be able to allocate multiple IPs from the ISP and 1:1 NAT map them, even when dealing with block allocations of IPs you would need a router

It may actually be a 1 port router and not just a modem.

A pure modem will simply pass the ISP public address and allocate that to the device plugged in to its LAN port, a router will have the ISP allocated address on the WAN side and a private IP on the LAN side.

When I deal with some of my larger sites who have multiple WAN and blocks of IPs links I have a router with (2 or more - I like the Cisco 1800 series...) WAN ports plugged into either 1 port ADSL modem/routers with NAT disabled - (so the first usable IP from the block is on the LAN side of the first modem/router and the second is the GW for the that WAN interface of the Firewall) or modems doing PPPoE

(Or Leased lines, but they are slightly different....)

But I degress! So, back on topic, you need an ethernet router.....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Problem: You have a switch, not a router. The switch only shares the data and just redirects it to the proper machine. A router is a device that bridges two different network connections. Your ISP is one network, and your internal house network is another. Residential routers comes with built-in switches, but in the enterprise, they are separate devices (usually built by Cisco).

Personally, I'd recommend something like this (I do not recommend TP-Link at all): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122235

deltatux

9. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    100% correct :)

But nothing to stop you using enterprise gear at home - Cisco 877 router, HP Procurve Switches, and Cisco Aironet 1213G AP here ;)

Having just reread the OP I think the access point is actually the old ADSL router which has DHCP switched on - so its giving out IPs with itself as the gateway....

So you need an ethernet router with wifi - this http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/nbg_419n.shtml
    would do the job and they are quite cheap, and zyxel's kit is generally pretty good, even the consumer stuff. Or the netgear above would be fine too

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, not everyone has access to enterprise-grade hardware, even I have to request old parts from school or what-not and only if they're giving old parts away to play with lol.

Basic home solutions should do the OP good.

deltatux

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    pretty well just find a cheap router (non tp-link preferably) and you should be fine.

@grunger, you're right. The Motorola Surfboard cable modem is a single-port "router", unless it's a SurfBoard Extreme.....then it has a built-in 4-port router. (I actually have 1 of each sitting on the floor next to me, as well as an Actiontec wireless cable modem/router....lol)

12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yeah, a router is best but not strictly required. I have an almost identical-looking Motorola SurfBoard, the SBV5121E. My ISP gives me 4 different IP addresses so I can connect up to 4 computers using nothing but cheap switches instead of a router.

The built-in Intel 5100 AGN WiFi adapter of my laptop supports AP mode so I use that in combination with a piece of software called Connectify Pro (just on a side note though, this software requires Windows 7) to be able to securely, via WPA-PSK, log onto it with my netbook.

Using yet another piece of software, called BWMeter, it's also possible for me to limit my local traffic bandwidth on-the-fly in order to not gimp my internet speed each time I choose to copy some files through Windows' HomeGroup.