Good Bye AMD/Raedon

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by glazenuts, Oct 11, 2011.

1. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    My point as I stated above is that switching to Nvidia isn't necessarily going to solve all his problems. I know that he was talking about driver issues. So I stated that nvidia has some serious driver issues too. But it doesn't come up to drivers only but hardware also. You can have perfectly working drivers but a faulty card that actually can make your drivers crash, as i recall mi first ati card - radeon 9800 Pro - was faulty and besides the artifacting i got in games, drivers kept failing and win was constantly BSODing.
    Truth to be told i'm no AMD/Nvidia/ATI/Intel fan. I just go and get what serves my current needs and cross my fingers as I turn on my pc hoping everything will work fine. Its like a russian roullete, sometimes everithings good, sometimes you get the bullet.
    What made me angry is that AMD and Nvidia don't deserve to be judjed by their drivers as I know for a fact that making good drivers for Videocards with constantly changing software and technologies and covering every possible computing environment is almost impossible and instead of complaining and triying to make a company look unprestigious for a particular problem he had making a post about it, for me, is not cool.
    Nothing more than that.

BTW sorry for my english

Edit: Besides he was looking for the bullet (a tri crossfire, probably made 2+ years ago when drivers where almost new to CF and were full of problems)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    well every problem can't be blamed on the user neither. both ATI and Nvidia are making very good hardware, ati is even making the best one when it come to power usage/heat dissipation.

but the only real way WE as user can judge them, is by the interface we got with them, and this my friend is the DRIVER. without it our cards are as usefull as a paperweight.

the technology are evolving indeed, but we're not in the 80's anymore. the "couldn't have been tested on every possible computer" is mostly bull, there's a reason we got DX and OpenGL as standard, it to make the hardware/drivers compliant to them.

they don't provide free products far from it, so we don't really have to be "cool", as we wouldn't be with enginners designing a car with the engine falling off every now and then. now ok, there's no death or injury involved but for some professional or harcore gamer it mean a loss of money/time non the less. so again what make the difference is the quickness of wish an issue is found and fixed by a new set of driver.

now crossfire/sli is another matter, as they are proprietary technology. but then you would expect better support logically, even more when they're advertissing it with all bells and whistle, and i clearly remember ATI was the one to introduce Multi-GPU setup to the market. but he should have expected it to not work properly for 3 years ?!?

so as you said yourself, the only way he could have avoided to buy Ati Multi-GPU setup, is by knowing ati driver and support was awfull. thanks to have prooved our point ;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    I've had a variety of both Nvidia and ATI/AMD cards over the years. Never had a major complaint about drivers. No driver gave me errors, BSOD or anything. I do realize there's reports all over the place about these issues with various drivers and cards. I however can't say that I've ever found a combination of card and driver that causes me problems. Usually it's the game or apps itself.

4. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    actually 3Dfx had SLI working with Voodoo 2 cards long before anyone cared about ATI or Nvidia.

5. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    The prepostery that someone thinks anyone cares about what hardware they personally choose is.. well, preposterous. Have fun with whatever new hardware you have and please put your middle-finger waving hand down before you hurt yourself.

6. 1boolet

1boolet Active Member

GPU:
    5970+5850GPU+gf460gtx PPU
    dude 4870 shows best performance in a pair the third card is useless ...big amount of trouble and 10% of performance... max

u were so wrong when add the third card of HD 4xxx series

7. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I wish 3dFx was still making cards today... we would have some badass Vodoo cards today ^^ hahaha, those cards were the deal back in the day...

8. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    True, and what's even better is back then the drivers didn't need a revision for every new game.

9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Yeah... well... drivers were about 2-3mb back then, now we have 100+mb hahaha and seems its not enough !

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Drivers had a lot less features back then, and the drivers covered a lot less cards too!

Also, back in those days the games were designed for PC to begin with. Now they're console ports, and push the systems primarily to improve the image quality vs having good image quality to begin with. If the latter were true, Maldo would have had nothing to do after the Hi-Res texture pack for Crysis 2.

11. sabind12

sabind12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD6950 2GB @900
  12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    funny you should say 3DFX as I seem to have a Voodoo II 3.0 just sitting right next to me right now in its day nothing played Diablo II like a voodoo II

13. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Yeah... i got a bit nostalgic.... I had a vodoo 3000 once too... and a friend had a 5 5000 (the one that was two chips on a board) and I envied him for that ^^