4870x2 + BF3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mangaroo, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    Two issues that have been going round which I have failed to solve (latest drivers and CAP4). Solutions / personal experience / ideas much appreciated!

#1 - Non-native resolution will not scale up*, GPU scaling enabled in CCC

#2 - Frequent, non-continuous and severe mouse lag/non-responsive**. It lasts for about 3-5 seconds and happens every 2 minutes or so (varying slightly). The game doesn't follow with a delay but also ignores it during the time and it's nothing like the v-synch mouse delay.

I sent two feedback reports with the issues to AMD. I'm using 11.10 and CAP4.

*ATIGPUScalingFix-Win7 did not work, nor did changing the fullscreen.screen setting to 1 in the BF3 profile. Only had this issue with BF3.
    **Not the mouse (tried with 2 others, nor the USB port - tried PCI USB...) and seems common with 4870x2 users

In case you were wondering, 30-70fps constantly fluctuating, likes to stick at 40 and 65. Everything, all of it, any choice = LOW (minimum in fact). Stuttering as well (separate to the mouse stuff above). Resolution 1920 otherwise blackboxed on my screen. Something tells me it should run it better..

Edit: As others have mentioned (and thanks for your contributions, been a bit distracted with sonic) - disabling amd catalyst with this card improves performances, even the mouse delay so currently no benefit which means potential reapings!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. sivis

sivis Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 (950 Mhz)
    It MUST run much more faster. I've got nearly the same issue, after uninstalling CAP3 it got better but still i am getting unresponsivness from time to time along with random FPS drops.

3. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    Agreed, i disabled catalyst AI and i get better performance, same fps! The mouse problem is a lot better...but a waste of half a card on bf3 atm, think they'll do the repairs?

4. sivis

sivis Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 (950 Mhz)
    I think they will do, probably DICE will fix their ****, or AMD will put out another CAP. All we can do now - pray. Game right now has HUGE memory misplacement, taking about 4-6 gb of virtual memory on HDD and not taking enough from RAM, though it's free.

5. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    YOU sir don't have a ****ing clue what you are talking about and should stfu
    ALSO a 4870x2 is fking old and its NOT dx11 compliant

6. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    ^^ Dx11 has nothing to do with it, thanks anyway. Bought this 2 years ago for about $500 like many others and I am sure AMD will get to it :) In the mean time probably helps if users with the issue report it here to the catalyst team.

7. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    AMD never implemented GPU Scaling in DX10/11 games. It only works in DX9 games.

This means, Crysis 1/2, BF3, BFBC2 (in DX10/11 mode) will not scale as you select in CCC if resolution is non-native.

This is something that AMD must address.

And for the 4870X2: you need to run Medium settings, because High/Ultra pushes VRAM usage beyond 1 GB, which will cause major stuttering regardless of FPS.

Crossfire scaling may be bad as of right now, but the best thing you can try is the latest leaked drivers and perhaps CAP 4.

8. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Hey mang, i had an 4870x2 running bf before, follow these steps.

Clean Amd driver installation, cap3 was broken and it seems cap 4 didnt install correctly.

Close all Monitoring software in the background.

Keep an eye on vram, on the 4870x2 ull have to set most options to high and disable msaa !

(Medium settings is BS, with some ultra and some high settings ull stay below 1 gb vram )

It ran beautifully on the 4870x2 though

9. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    I'm having the same problem with my 4870x2 despite trying all of the variations of the latest drivers and CAPs. Right now I'm running 11.10 and CAP4. Performance is a joke on this card....even if I turn everything down FPS still lingers in the 25-60 range.

I think (as someone said) at this point we just wait and hope that AMD/ATI gets their **** together.

The load balancing of the GPUs alternate (seemingly randomly) between GPUs, where one bears the entire load and the other is essentially idle, then they reverse. Here is a graph of data collected using Rivatuner while playing multiplayer. You can see the load switch toward the very end of the graph.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  10. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    Theres issues with drivers, and the game does need patching for sure but is there ever been a game thats works great from day one for everybody? the answer is NO!
    Mine runs better if i disable crossfire and the 4780 series is more than enough to run the game.
    BF3 is restricted by the cpu you have not really the video card.

11. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    That is completely incorrect. Benchmarks have shown that the game is heavily GPU bound.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-13.html

If I disable Catalyst AI I get the same performance, maybe slightly better. I don't even gain performance by decreasing the settings either....really frustrating. The only setting that seems to affect performance is enabling MSAA.

12. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    My 4870s in crossfire experience the exact same problem described above.

if i boot up b3 without alt-tabbing (Crossfire off) i get absolutely no stutter, just lower fps.
    as soon as i alt-tab and activate crossfire i get better fps but the stuttering is massive!
    In the ending of the second mission in campaign mode especially, the game will literally pause for about 2-3 secs.
    tried it with crossfire off....no stutter!

it is NOT a vram limitation, it's a crossfire bug with these cards.
    i have tried all methods of uninstall/cleaning, old caps/no caps etc... nothing alleviates it completely.
    tried it from LOW to ULTRA...same stutter, same issues..

same problem with witcher 2 when it was released. i had to wait about 2 months for a good driver release to fix the stutter.
    It will be fixed...eventually...whenever that may be....

AMD still has not fixed the flickering terrain on wet tracks in DiRT 3 with these 4800 crossfire setups.

the 4870x2/crossfire may be "old" but its a very good performer and outdoes a single 5870 in most benchmarks.
    but when it comes to driver specific issues with these cards i think that it's pretty much neglected by AMD.

13. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    and then i'll start a flamewar when i'll dare to say AMD could be more responsive or give better support to multi GPU huh ;)

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You do know that a 4870x2 is a whole lot faster than your 5750...Dont you???HD 4870 X2 is 213% quicker than the Radeon HD 5750 1GB
    ...>http://www.hwcompare.com/4489/radeon-hd-4870-x2-vs-radeon-hd-5750-1gb/

15. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    I think he solved OP's problem. Its obviously because the card is not DX11. :banana:

16. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    u cant disable supersampling aa for 4870, that was reason for fps dips in mw1, bet u get that in bf3 too

17. lenne

lenne Guest

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Guys did u read my post at all ? i had a 4870x2 running, it was running perfectly...

18. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    :cheers:
    Agree

19. saif

saif Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DualX OC
    I don't have crossfire configuration, but I also have the Keyboard/Mouse unresponsive for 5 seconds from time to time. My guy keeps walking forward, it is annoying, happens once each 15 minutes

20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I recall the mosfets really needed cooling on those cards. I suggest that you crank up the fan to about 55% for about 2 minutes before you start gaming. Keep it at 55% then game with it to see how things turns out for the fps fluctuations.