Any one know how to Speed Up Winrar?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Ji1986, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Hi Guys

Im sure this has been asked before but i couldnt find any threads on it.

When using winrar to unpack a rar file it only uses at max 10% of my CPU which is great I guess if you want to keep on using your computer as normal.

But I want to be able to bump it up especially while unraring 1gig+ files which take forever.

Are there any better programs to use other then winrar. that maybe give you options of using more CPU power.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    7-zip, if its only 10%, you maybe disk limited. (meaning its too slow)

3. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
  4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    use zip genius instead

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Extract or compress from one physical harddrive to another. Nothing will speed up things more, forget getting a new CPU.

That the CPU is at 10% is probably because the harddrive is slowing things down.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yeah I know not to get a new CPU I will be upgrading in the duture but even with a new CPU it will only use 10% of it and ill want more anyway.

Ill try extracting from one drive to another and see the speed difference.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    the bottleneck will always be the harddrive(s) unless you have a crap cpu which you dont.

e.g. unrarring a 1 gig file to the same harddrive with say a 60Meg/sec transfer rate will take at its quickest without even considering the cpu, 26 seconds. If you unrar to another harddrive it will take 13 seconds( ok will be about 15 seconds in total but on average ), so yep unrar to another harddrive.

I have samsung spinpoint F3 drives and it takes about 15 seconds( including cpu time ) to unrar a 1 gig file from 1 drive to another as they do about 100meg-120meg a second.

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    To rule out the Hard drive as the speed issue, create a Ram Disk and perform the operation on that drive.

A free Ram Drive program can be found here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ramdisk.html

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The limit is the write speed of the disk holding winrars temp space, or the disk you are unrarring to.
    The unpacking of the rar is taking the 10% of CPU you saw.
    A faster CPU wont help.

10. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    There is no need for that. If you have one harddrive it will be slow. Have at least two is my tip, preferably not to old ones. A modern 5400rpm is faster than older 7200rpm drivers due to higher density.

12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I suggested the RAM drive to verify the hard drive was the cause of the 10% CPU usage and the slow rar decompression.

13. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    disk bottleneck, get a ssd

14. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I wanted to ask a similar question, just as well i searched for it first, although a new thread would probably get more attention, i'll try asking here anyway.

When i extract a file using WinRar, like a 4GB file for example, it basically slows EVERYTHING else to a crawl. Everything hangs and the only way i can use Firefox and the net for example is if Firefox is already open, otherwise it takes an eternity for Firefox to open.

The same applies to other programs as well. For example, if i want to extract a file using WinRar and watch a video on any player (Widows Media Player, VLC, DivX Player, whatever), the video will lag intermittently making it virtually unwatchable. So i have just wait for the extraction to complete then do whatever i want to do.

Personally i think it IS the hard drive that is the weakest link here but some people i have spoken to are saying otherwise, they are saying that given my CPU is relatively decent and i have 4GB of relatively fast RAM, i shouldn't be getting the degree of lag and hanging i am experiencing.

Do i have an issue? Is there anything i can do to mediate this without switching to another program (i perfer WinRar, i am familiar with it and if nothing can be done i will still continue to use it).

15. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    Open winrar, go to Options -> Settings

Make sure Multithreaded is checked, if its still slow, check low priority

16. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I believe you mean uncheck low priority. :)

17. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"

In windows change to always keep pages file in memory and System Cache over program cache.

Use 64 bit version of Winrar... have fun! :banana:

18. qiplayer

qiplayer Guest

GPU:
    2x xfx 6870 1gb
    To not slow down everything I would disable some cores on which it works. And eventually keep it low on priority.
    I do the first for example to encode 25 gb of video while playing crysis2 online, I let the encoding program run on 1 core and the other 3 are free.
    Go to CTR+ALT+DEL then in activity manager, choose processes, search winrar, click with right mouse, choose affinity and uncheck the half of the processor, or you choose what you like.
    You can do it while it is working.
    This let's the other cores free and your system will stay fast. if it still slows down it's because of the hdd.

I suggest you not to buy a ssd but a fast hdd, you have much more space and stay fast.
    For example I have the WD caviar black 2 tb, it costed less than a 180ssd, and the speed is not much less.

To speed up the winrar, I don't know what is going on with your ram, you cud download glary utilityes for free, there is an app inside that let's you set up to automatically free some ram when it get's all used.
    There is another program, if you have a slow pc, which is winmate what fasters considerably your pc. I used it on my old dual core with win xp, and It become 30%faster, with this you can with one click disable a big part of the services that slows down your pc.

The hdd limits your winrar speed, cos it has to read from and write to the hard disk. If you copy and paste a file you see how fast is it in this, but it shuldn't slow completely everything.
    You may also check if you have enough virtual memory, somewhere by system, advanced, advanced, performance, then virtual memory, set it manually to a higher level.

Your hdd must not be full, not more than 80% if you have only one.
    If the hdd is full increasing the virtual memory will additionally slow down your pc. Cos it takes a part of hdd to be used as ram. This also isn't healthy for the hdd.

I hope this helped

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope...he's right. Setting the app to run at a lower priority will reduce it's CPU time, which will allow other apps to run better.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Use 64-bit version of Winrar (and 7-zip) if on x64 Windows.

Of course, you can always reduce the compression method, not do a solid archive (defaults aren't the best for compression anyway) reduce the dictionary size etc, but all that will do is reduce the compression effectiveness. Same goes in 7-zip etc.