Radeon HD 7000 series GPUs.. Dec 6th 2011 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MyBrains, Oct 17, 2011.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    HD7900 is supposed to be a completely new architecture, which AMD refers to as "GCN" or Graphics Core Next. HD7800 and below, should be using the VLIW4 architecture that AMD used for the HD6900 series.

It is the same company though, and as such would be heavily impacted if for any reason GCN fails to perfect as expected.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    my point is they already have Southern Islands for a long long time, they just had to dumb it down and make it compatible with current tech, 58x0 series upgrade >>> 69x0 - Northern Islands.

3. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    Hey, don't jinx us! Bulldozer looked amazing on paper. Though I agree, there's no way GCN will be a bulldozer. ATI has a much better history of executing than AMD.

4. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    I was happily waiting for the Bulldozer to release. My plan was something like getting either the 1st or the second gen of the BD.

Probably later to get a new Graphics card, in the time, I got my HD 6850 for 2 reasons: 1st it was my first build, so I was buying everything, mobo, psu, vga, case etc, and 2nd, i got my HD 6850 for about 95 € so it was a great bargain. Even so, I wanted later to go to a realy high-end graphics card.

Then, Bulldozer, well, turned out as it did. My plans changed, so i'm hanging between what AMD will have for Piledriver or Intel's Ivy-bridge, most probably going for intel's.

I'm on France right now, for work, and mainly by revolt about Bulldozer, came the idea to buy the new VGA right now, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or if it would be better to wait.

My problem to wait is that i'm traveling on vacations to US on February, when I wished to buy the HD7xxx, but i'm afraid they don't release on time. After that, i'm not sure when i'm going to travel again.

If either the HD7xxx or the Ivy-bridge launch by february, i'm more than happy to get one of them.

Thinking a bit more calm right now, you are right, if I don't get the HD7xxx, i'll probably get one of these @ a better price.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ^
    hehe cool :nerd:

Yea my next cpu upgrade is gonna be Ivy-Bridge for sure but apparently its scheduled for ~March - April 2012..

and maybe one of these 7970? down the road, probably end of next year.. I think this 570gtx will be enough until then :)

lol:cops:*Speculation alert*

AMD 7970 3dmark 2011 Perf. gpu score 13-14K for sure, otherwise it sucks lol :blunt:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. SuM5181

SuM5181 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6970 2GB GDDR5
    According AMD GPU previous launch date, December 6th, 2011 will be AMD's Southern Island family Radeon HD 7870 & 7850 release, the first 28nm gpu...

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    You mean, previous series ?

- HD5xxx series > Sept 2009

- HD4870 > June 2008.

Well previous date don't directly mean anything.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Brotip: If the drivers are anything like how they are now it will be nothing but headaches.

Raw horsepower is dandy but when the drivers cause endless headaches then what's the point? I've been so disenchanted with AMD due to my experience with their drivers this year that next time around I'll buy an nVidia card even if it costs more for the same performance knowing very well that their drivers are quite flawed.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Nvidia have had their woes with drivers too. Also it may be the case of distinguishing between driver issues and issues caused by running your HD6970@1015/6400 ;)

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What about the part where I said I very well know nVidia's drivers are flawed didn't you understand?

... Do you think I'm retarded? It's obviously not using the stock cooler and it never goes over 60C even when at a constant 100% usage. Usually maxes out at 58-59C.

The endless problems happen at stock settings of 880/5500 as well, I have this thing called common sense so I obviously made sure to check my problems aren't caused by the OC.

Oh and surprise, the problems differ based on what driver is being used.

11. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    PEBMAC? :rolleyes:

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I am supposed to reply to your weak trolling? Go be a jerk somewhere else or go read the 2000 page thread about driver problems.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  13. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Nope, it was rhetorical.

I know there are problems, but it's easy to blame drivers or the hardware or everybody around you except for yourself, hence the above.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    why?

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Becouse if it fails nVidia will bump up their prices so much that you will need a fortune to upgrade a GPU.

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get the new GPU's out soon and then very quietly withdrew Bulldozer.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The VLIW4 architecture is only being carried over into the mainstream cards. The 7900 series will get a brand new, never-before-seen architecture, so....referencing "Northern Islands" is pointless. HD7K series will be a repeat of HD6K series where the High-End cards use a different architecture from the mainstream, budget and entry cards.

HD7900 series = GCN (Graphics Core Next)
    HD7800 series and lower = VLIW4 (from HD6900 series)

GCN is a completely different architecture from anything that's ever been used before. Experience with previous micro-architectures won't do any more good for them with "GCN" than it did for Bulldozer.

You left out the HD6K series....

Would you like to have my GTX460? Until the 270.51 driver, I experienced constant stuttering (including at desktop). The IQ when trying to watch a movie was so horrid, I was having flashbacks from my childhood of trying to watch a TV from the early 70's..... Now I'm using the 280.27 drivers and the stuttering it back (this time....the less detail, the more stutter). Quite frankly, I'm on the verge of putting my old, out-dated HD4850 back in until the HD7K series is released.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    VLIW4 is still from old NI its not a true SI but a mix of both and that's what i said in the first place lol :nerd:

And i mentioned that about high end SI being a true SI as in next-gen process (kinda like nv design), idk why you needed to pinpoint it again :infinity:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Posts like this....

The VLIW4 architecture used for HD6900 series is not related to GCN in any way. HD6800 and lower used VLIW5. The VLIW4 architecture used for HD6900 was nothing but a modified version of their VLIW5 architecture. GCN is not a VLIW architecture at all. Thus far, the only thing AMD has had to compare GCN to, is the 500 series and performance rumors from nVidia about the 600 series.