Would a GTX 580 improve my current system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by NeoEnigma, Oct 16, 2011.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Let get BOT in this thread. kich you don't have a clue. And you don't listen to reason. You are ignored and I would ask the rest of u not to quote the moron so I don't have to read FUD in this thread

2. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Moron?

Stay classy dude.

You know you're winning a discussion when the other side resorts to childish name calling.

Read the facts man, I'm the only one who's provided links to back up what I'm saying, some other dude provided a link to back up his argument and it only ended up backing up what I am saying.

So feel free to grow up and then when that is completed provide proof I am incorrect, seeing as nobody else has done so.

Another article here that backs up what I am saying:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/11686/4

Another one saying the 5970 has 256GB/s of memory bandwidth. (The 5870 had 153.6GB/s)

http://www.techspot.com/review/221-ati-radeon-hd-5970/

I can do this all day fella if you want.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Ooooh, our very own "clueless moron" Hilberts review of the 6990 states that the 6990 has nearly double the memory bandwidth of the 6970!!!!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6990-review/3

Do you think somebody should tell him he has no idea what he's on about?

4. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'm having lols.

6. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    This thread has turned into... something I didn't quite expect @_@

Seems a lot of people recommend overclocking CPU... but I'm still deathly afraid of trying that. I've yet to read a guide that didn't make my head spin.

Some people have suggested I get another 5870 and crossfire them... and I would possibly consider that, but wouldn't I need to get another Vapor-X 2GB edition (to have 2 of the exact same card)? Those are much harder to find now. Can't get them on newegg anymore. 5870s seem to be difficult to find in general.

Does this guy seem like it would be a decent cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186047

Do the 3GB 580s offer any real benefit over the 1.5GB versions?

7. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Are you easily amused?

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What is really amusing is you tried to get away from how the memory acts and is used in SLI which is the context being discussed here. Yes indeed, when both GPU's are operating INDEPENDENTLY say running a CUDA or CL application, then you may add memory bandwidth. But not, which Nvidia so aptly proves, in SLI for the reasons concisely stated. Yes we know you can makes the same mistakes again all day. Read it again.

9. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB

I can read perfectly well thank you, and it states nothing to back up what you are saying.

I've provided links to back up my claims, you've provided nothing and start waffling on about CUDA like its supposed to mean something.

I'm waiting to be proved wrong and nobody and provide any evidence that a sli setup has only the same memory bandwidth available as a single GPU.

So apart from the REALLY STRONG argument of being called a moron, do you have anything else? You do know what the SLI bridge is for correct?

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I have Nvidia directly contradicting your claims in SLI. Those precisely match what you have been told by several correcting you. You're not waiting to be proved wrong, you're unable to admit you're wrong.
    Bummer of a character flaw dude.

11. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Where do you have Nvidia contradicting me? What you posted as NOTHING to do with it.

Several have told me you say? OOOOHHHH they must be right then, silly me.

I've provided dozens of links proving me to be correct, and you've provided one that bangs on about how it can affect SLI performance if you use dynamic assets to create a scene, then 4 lines later the same document confirms that Nvidia spec the GPU's to work independently in SLI for best performance, WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING.

Seriously WTF?

Oh, thats right, something, something, cuda, something, like what you said......Only then is bandwidth doubled..... ROFL.

http://xplanescenery.blogspot.com/2009/12/why-isnt-slicrossfire-no-brainer.html

Here's some info on dynamic texturing and why SLI has potential issues with it.

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

“Common sense is not so common.”

- Voltaire.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    kitch9 might I suggest a career change if I may. there looking for a few good men to be kamikaze pilots. the thing is your first mission start today. lots of room for advancement too!

14. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Apparently so. From this thread I've learned:

Multi Gpu (SLI) setups only have the same available memory bandwidth as single gpu setups. (Must have, several people said so!)

Dynamic assets = Bandwidth.

You can double memory bandwidth on multi GPU, but only in CUDA.

That dozens of reputable websites are wrong, including our own Guru3d, and they must be because "several people said so." Its almost inexplicable as to why nobody has EVER pulled them up on their incorrect reporting...... It must be bias or something? I dunno.

Even though they work independently, for some inexplicable reason GPU's in a multi gpu (SLI) setup can only read from the same file at the same time in their video ram, (Different lines though.) this is regardless of the fact each GPU could need entirely different data as they could be rendering completely different frames.

You guys are awesome, I'm so glad you've kept me educated.

I'm out.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  15. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    I sold a "spare part PC" today, had used it few years back with E8400@3.9GHz and SLI GTX260 OC'd ... was so-so...today I sold it with Q9650 @ 4Ghz and single GTX260 and I'm astonished by the fps it got in BFBC2 with pretty high settings at 1080p ! There was more power in one GTX260 than I belived, thanks to the OC'd Quad core !

This made me ask a friend to OC his i5 760 towards 4GHz coz he just got GTX580 and can't tell much differance in fps from his previous GTX280. With 4GHz he prolly will.

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol at you all. :stewpid:

anyway..

why not OC? there is nothing dangerous about it, especially if you have custom cooling.

You can always make a new separate thread about OC issues or help with OC'ing, 3.6ghz should be easy :nerd:

As for gpu idk i would sell 5870 and get this 580gtx, preferably custom cooled.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes, especially since you are digging a hole even bigger. Why dont you just admit you are wrong and move on?

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Multi GPU? Now you're being dishonest and changing the context again. As I stated in MULTI GPU setups, yes you could argue that effective memory bandwidth could be doubled depending upon the application and how it uses a multi GPU set up. Folding being an example. In SLI, the memory contents are mirrored as clearly stated by Nvidia. Both GPU's are working on the same data set in SLI. Not a one of those articles you're citing is referring to memory usage and bandwidth as it applies to SLI. They are simply adding it together. Just as they do for dual GPU cards concerning, memory amount, memory bus width and memory throughput.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The whole subject was about SLI, yet he veers off from the subject. Maybe he doesnt understand?

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    ok now I am going to unblock him. this whole freaking argument was about sli. now changes the subject?
    I read it all, basically you do not have the ability to say your wrong and move on. looks like you did a little reading into multi gpu setups that are not being used as sli, and trying to backhand that argument from sli into multi gpu setups that are folding etc. nice try:)

and to quote you
    I'm confused, we are talking about sli?
    post 30 in this thread

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011