Anyone Tested Bulldozer on a Board other than Crosshair V?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hayden202, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Understood. Thanks again for sending this. This is exactly the type of info I need to make my next move. Looks like I may end up on sandy bridge, but I'm gonna give it a few weeks just to make sure.

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Here are some more:

Techspot used a Asrock 990FX board with the same results as everyone else:

XbitLabs (a very reputable site) did a review using the Gigabyte board, even worse results than the ASUS in general:

3. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    There is no miracle or magic board or software updates. That's your FX Bulldozer. Live with it. Or better, forget it. If you have a Phenom X6 keep it, it does everything OK, gaming is good with one GPU. If you want performance and multi-GPU go Intel 2500K - 2600K -2700K. If you want extreme performance go SB-E, will be out next month and it'll be another boost for Intel.

The FX series has no place on the market. It's useless.

The only way they'll get away with it is to replace the Phenom line quickly which I see their not capable of since availability is scarce on the Bulldozer.

Either way you look at it it's a disaster.

4. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Thanks again for posting more results.

I think I have enough data now on other boards to make an informed decision. It's really a shame about bulldozer. Hopefully things change in the future, I think a bit of competition helps keep prices down. Looks like its off to sandy bridge for me at some point in the future.

Thanks again for all who chipped in with results and findings, much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

5. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
    I dont know if anyone posted this:

Copy-pasted from final words of AnandTech review of Bulldozer:

AMD also shared with us that Windows 7 isn't really all that optimized for Bulldozer. Given AMD's unique multi-core module architecture, the OS scheduler needs to know when to place threads on a single module (with shared caches) vs. on separate modules with dedicated caches. Windows 7's scheduler isn't aware of Bulldozer's architecture and as a result sort of places threads wherever it sees fit, regardless of optimal placement. Windows 8 is expected to correct this, however given the short lead time on Bulldozer reviews we weren't able to do much experimenting with Windows 8 performance on the platform. There's also the fact that Windows 8 isn't expected out until the end of next year, at which point we'll likely see an upgraded successor to Bulldozer.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/11

Sounds interesting, MAYBE Windows is real source of problems, cuz to me its still hard to see that older cpus with less core clock and less cache made by same company perform better...

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    On the same page:

[​IMG]

Windows 8 is not going to bring a magical 50% boost, sorry.

7. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
    mmm Windows 8 is in BETA as i know it...

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    But it still uses the new scheduler.

9. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    I already asked this in this forum, but doesn't seem that anyone answered.

Did anyone produced syntetic tests with linpack and similar benchmarks, preferably in a linux/unix enviroment?

I think that it would give a nice perspective of the 'brute force' that the Bulldozer is capable of, and also, wouldn't have the same kind of problem with schedulers, tough I think that it want even this way turn to be something decent.