Static noise while recording - What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by proton_chain, Oct 13, 2011.

1. proton_chain

proton_chain Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    I had been using onboard crappy audio, until I switched to a Xonar Essence STX a few weeks back. I am currently using a crappy cheap headset (no other option until my Shure SRH440 arrives this month) which worked quite well with the onboard. Now here's the problem. There is a constant static noise when I use the mic included in the headset to record anything. It was absent when I used onboard audio. So... I was wondering whether it is because the mic is too crappy for this card or is the problem with the card itself. I have not tried any other mic so far. No matter what software I use to record, it's there.

Here is a sample recording in case you are interested. http://www.mediafire.com/?an3w941508odkj9

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like the mic gain is up too high

3. proton_chain

proton_chain Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    With low gain, its there and sounds similar when I pump up the volume. So, its a mic problem, not my card, right?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I'm no audio expert but if the problem was not there with the onboard using the same mic, I`d say it was more likely to be a setting on the new card

Doesn't sound like there is a problem with the card, just that it is auto level gaining or something when everything is quiet

5. proton_chain

proton_chain Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
  6. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I'm guessing it's because of the mic.

I think the reason why you get the static after you use the xonar is because it has a much better ADC than the onboard. The xonar is more sensitive and can pick up the mic's noise while the onboard can't

Try a different mic

I also have a crappy headset with a crappy mic, and get the same noise when using the mic

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  8. proton_chain

proton_chain Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Hmm, okay, then its time to upgrade to a decent microphone. I will report back after I buy a new one to confirm.