Help me build my roommate a gaming rig for $800.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kershner25, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Obviously you are wrong, but you can think what you want. I can aim much better with my razer deathadder 3500DPI than i ever could with my old microsoft intellimouse. Im guessing i am wrong and thats just a marketing gimmick right. 400 DPI is not enough. You can ask any pro gamer that, and they will tell you 400DPI is not enough. Obviously you arent a pro gamer. ;)

2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Several things could be going on here... You may think you aim better when in reality you don't. Or if you do aim better, it could be placebo; you believe higher DPI is better so that belief makes you aim better. Or you could aim better as a result of something else - maybe the Razer is just a better mouse for you in other respects, or maybe you didn't have the intellimouse modded to 500hz response time. Or maybe your aiming skill has just improved over time? Who knows, I've heard practice makes you better

:heh:

Let's see... Pro gamers who play with 400 DPI:

stermy (one of the best aimers in the world)
    Cooller (before he switched to Razer Abyssus since they sponsor him; he might still be using the Abyssis @ 400dpi though)
    rapha (has dominated the Quake Live duel scene for a couple of years now; plays with 400 DPI, 1280x1024 and a very high sensitivity of 20cm/360deg + huge accel)
    Cypher (another sick aimer, plays at 640x480 resolution ;))
    Toxjq (insane aimer, one of the best in the world)
    strenx (insane aim...)
    bodzo
    fazz
    l1nkje
    HeatoN
    sunde
    fury
    allen

I'm sure there are ton more, I only listed a few of the Quake players, a couple of CS players, and I'm not at all familiar with the pro scene in other games. As for the ones who don't play at 400DPI, I could ask them if it's enough and they'd say "probably, it depends on your resolution and sensitivity".

I don't really care if you stay in denial about high DPI, just keep your religion to yourself ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Lets see, yes i did change the polling rate(not response time), made a small change. But yeah, right after i got the deathadder i noticed a huge difference after i got used to it, probably took several hours. I tested with crysis wars which is fast paced with higher skilled players.

Can we see some current games? Those are all mostly quake players, which btw quake is dead now(maybe not quake live, not sure). Also, alot of them dont even play anymore.. obviously if you play at 640x480 you dont need a high dpi. Higher resolutions see bigger differences with higher dpi.

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    So what if it's an old game? It doesn't diminish their ability at aiming. If anything, it magnifies it. They play a faster paced, more skill oriented and more precise game than any of the current online FPS games played professionally.

All of the Quake players I listed still play.

Obviously, that only proves that high monitor resolution isn't needed for accurate aiming either.

5. Anaksulnamun

Anaksulnamun Member

GPU:
    Onboard 64Mb
    Calm down my friend, but I second that the 400 dpi mouse is not good - I once upgraded a 400dpi MSI mouse (because it is slow when playing SC 2) to a 800dpi Dell, and I think a 800 dpi is much faster and better...
    BTW, just a entry level - 1600dpi laser mouse if fine (and those buddies are super cheap ... too ;))

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I'm perfectly calm. :3eyes:

Ok, good for you. For your cm/360deg sensitivity setting (and resolution), that may indeed be the case.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    modernwarfare 1 & 2 = quake