Government (lobbyists) preparing to allow use of EBT cards in fast food restaurants.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by fxmercenary, Oct 3, 2011.

1. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    I just thought that you should all be made aware of this garbage. As if the purchase of soda and candy was not enough, lobbyists are pushing for the capability of people on welfare to use their EBT cards to purchase meals at fast food restaurants.

Federal officials have already rejected attempts to ban people from buying soda with food stamps, and fast food isn't that different. Government shouldn't be subsidizing fast food. It's preposterous that a company like Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut and Long John Silver's would even be considered for inclusion in a program meant for supplemental nutrition. Fast food leads to public health complications that will probably weigh even more heavily on taxpayers in the future, so...you know, vicious cycle.

One of the biggest draw-backs of being on food stamps is the lack of ability to use the Government assistance on pre-made meals, where other people cater to you and charge you for this service.

Usually people get $200.00 a month per person, your average fast food meal? $6-$7.00

if you can afford to use your EBT card on a meal 3-4 times the price than the equivalent bought at a Grocery Store, then your benefits should be lowered, saving the taxpayer.

Being able to eat should be, and is, a human right.

Being served is a privilege.

Currently over 44 million Americans (roughly 15% of the population) are on Food Stamps.

Food stamp benefits rose from $28 billion to $64 billion between 2005 and 2010

Edit: it's already happening in California. Currently McDonalds, KFC, El Pollo Loco, Dominos Pizza, Jack in Box and Subway accept EBT.

Edit #2 Currently Taco Bell and Pizza Hut are Lobbying to be added to the list of Fast food restaurants that can accept EBT.

Edit #3 Add Michigan to the list as of 9/1/2011

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I'll be OK with this, so long as it's limited to dollar menu and low cost foods.
    a $1 McDouble or McChicken isn't really a big deal to me.
    And your assumption on "a meal 3-4 times the price" of something bought at a grocery store is completely incorrect.
    Burgers for example, when you take into account buns meat, condements so it doesn't taste bland, and then the time needed to repair the dishes, you may not even break even, especially for a smaller family of 3.
    Food at grocery stores is expensive, even walmart super-centers. And the worse part, a majority of it isn't even healthier for you, so there goes your health complications arguement.
    If you want healthier foods, you pay out the ass. And even then fresh foods, spoil faster, so you're going to the store multiple times a week. (Think lettice)

The biggest issue with the EBT thing, is in some states it doesn't allow for most deli foods. So you can't goto the deli in walmart and grab a pound sliced turkey meat for half the price of deli meats sold in plastic containers which are covered by EBT.
    Or foods ready to eat from the deli aren't covered either.

Also i'm totally cool with subway being on the list of approved, their food is good, and is generally better for you.

3. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    You are 100% incorrect. And no, its not limited to dollar menu items. You can even get an iced Mocha Frappe and a happy meal with a toy on EBT.

Deli meat at my grocery store is 2 times the price of pre-sliced meat. a pound of turkey at the deli is $9.00. A pound of Hillshire farms premium deli-selects is $5.49. A pound of ground round 80/20 ground beef is $3.49/lb. Hamburger helper is $1.19. That's $4.70 and can easily feed 3 people.

3 #1 big-mag meals at $5.99 each is $18.00, and contains 1200 calories and 54 grams of fat each.

When it comes to sodium and saturated fat, I won't even go there...

Yes, fresh food does spoil in about a week or 2. A refrigerator full of Big-Macs will stay edible for 72 hours. The french fries will be good for about 30 minutes, and soda will go flat in 4-6 hours.

Again, pre-prepared food is a privilege. Calculating the prep time of a home-cooked meal isn't even a valid argument.

My Tax-dollars should not be used to subsidize Domino's Pizza.

4. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Sounds like are politicians drumming up more votes at the expensive of the hard working tax payer!

Price to go out to a restaurant and have a 1 hamburger, 1 order of fries and a cola is 5x of what it would cost if you were to buy the food from your local grocery store and prepared at home. Do not see this being a very economical decision by our elected Representatives. More waste by our local, State and Federal Government. And they wonder why the American public is upset with the Government. Gallup Poll 81% of Americans polled disapprove of the US Government.

[TYPO EDIT]

5. lebrine

lebrine Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
    But surely a big mac in the states comes with :-

Buns
    Burgers (its 2 in the uk)
    Cheese
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Gherkin
    Relish

Not to mention the fries and the drink

So yeh your burger might be cheaper than the big mac but it seems to be missing stuff, especially the buns :p

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't have a problem allowing the ebt users to use it on fast food, what I have a problem with is a portion of the people who have an EBT card don't even need it. You can lease a new Charger for $400 a month, then buy a $50 pair of jeans, and finally buy a $100 pair of shoes and then expect my tax dollars to go to feeding you because you can't manage money right?! There are people who cannot work or is in another situation that really need food stamps, but I see people all the time who have an EBT card that have other expensive goods that if they didn't get on a regular basis, they wouldn't need to even apply for food stamps. Back when I worked at Radio Shack last year I had to argue with someone that was trying to buy a $30 phone case with an EBT card.

7. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Here's why it doesn't make sense we have politicians telling us how unhealthy fast food is yet we're going to have tax dollars pay for it?

8. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Does government stupidity really surprise anyone these days? I'm just wondering what the clowns that voted these morons into office are thinking.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Like, I get your point, but you're comparing the cost of making hamburger helper for a family to the cost of a burger, fries, and drink, what relevance?

That's like comparing hamburger helper and burgers.

Compare the cost of making a burger to a burger. That, or compare to something comparable, like Chili from Wendy's. A small chili is what, a dollar? 1.30? Larges I think are 3 and could feed a person. Three of those, 9 dollars, you've fed a three person family

I mean, it's not ideal, but honestly, fast food or not, wendy's chili isn't much worse or better for you than hamburger helper.

And I don't know in what pretend land a single box of hamburger helper feeds a family of three for any period of time. Maybe a box and some rolls, or veggies, but not just the box.

10. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    So true.

and a lot of these people tend to be very wasteful in using the ebt as well.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You do realize it's the STATES being lobbied?

14. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Instead of just shovelling more money to the ignorant, how about cooking classes? Even hamburger helper (which is not even close to healthy) is expensive compared to patoto soup. I used to think food was expensive until I learned how to cook from scratch.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    of course i do.

16. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    Do you know me? lol... I worked at Wendys as a teenager. Don't eat the chili, trust me. Meat is cooked until it is sold. If it doesnt sell and burns, it goes into a drawer. At the end of the day, all those burnt burgers are boiled, and mixed in with beans etc. to make the chili.

A single box of hamburger helper does feed a family of 3. I ate it last night, Ultimate Cheeseburger Macaroni. Me, my wife and my roommate were stuffed on 1 box and 1.16lb ground beef.

If you don't want to compare that to burgers, fine.

3 1/4lb. Big-Mac Meals : $18.00

Store:
    3/4 lb ground beef. $2.68
    4-pack hamburger buns .98c
    4 slices of cheese sliced at the deli. 67c
    2-liter of coke $1.69
    bag of frozen fries 16oz. $1.99
    Full-size bottles of: ketchup, mustard, pickles, onion, bag of shredded lettuce (with tons left over!!!) $6.00 <---put the extra in your fridge for next week's burger night, minus the lettuce, throw that away.

Total: $14.01

Next week's burger night, $10.01

17. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Not sure where you shop but your prices seem a bit low. In my area the things you've listed would be about $3-4 more in total. Of course this also doesn't account for energy costs to cook this food and clean dishes, etc.

Regardless of the cost I do agree that EBT should be used to promote heathlier foods - but hamburger helper is hardly healthier than a big mac, in fact it may even be less healthy.

Lastly, unless you're 100 pounds or starve yourself a single box of hamburger helper won't feed three adults. Hell I practically eat a whole one on my own if that's all I'm eating.

18. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    No surprise here. Always good business for Big Pharma! I guess society's health isn't deteriorating fast enough for the oligarchs!

19. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Cost of a family of 4 to eat out is double from eating at home. How is this proper management by our so called Representatives?? Plus most families on Public Assistance will choose to eat fast food which we all know is not very healthy so now they become a health burden for the tax payers. Wow whose bright idea was this to even bring up for debate.

I say let the tax payers decide this one not our corrupt elected politicians.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  20. lebrine

lebrine Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
    Wheres the eggs to bind the burgers?
    What about some onion?
    Not to mention the cost of the fuel to cook the burgers and the cost of the water to clean the bowls, plates and glasses including also the washing up liquid.