Battlefield 3 (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TriGGlety, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    If they can get it working in a browser, they can get it working in-game (its only programming after all).

However, it would be MUCH easier to maintain it as a web site. Any updates would not require people downloading patches etc as its all done server side. I'd say that's the main reason.

If something breaks, or they discover a big bug, they can get a fix rolled out quickly and seamlessly, without anyone even noticing anything. If it was in game, they'd have to prepare a patch, waste bandwidth having 1000's of people download it etc

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    i odnt like that browser based server search also..The question i have all the time is:

If this is also in final..what happens if battlelog or my internet is offline? I mean can happen right? so what then, can i still play? campaign or so? or is that impossible?

i mean..im not shure but this web browser based thing just looks like an nice looking DRM to me...

maybe im wrong but still what will happen if we are offline?

3. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Anyone know what the Caspian Border Map password is ?
    Is it still the shoppingcart one ?

Metro is very disappointing for me Gfx are very poor imo, look like Ghost recon....only worse lol

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. Crugath

Crugath Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    This is what I'm planning on doing...

Install a very lightweight version of a browser, such as this one http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php (which is based on Chrome and is very stripped down.) EDIT: I've just noticed on the link to SRware Iron browser there's even a portable version - so you won't even have to install it.

Then just set the homepage as the battlelog page and make a shortcut on the desktop for it. Then when you open up that lightweight browser, the battlelog will open, you can sign in, choose a server, which will then open up Origin, and load up BF3. That way you don't have to have your addon heavy, email checking beast of a Firefox install running constantly (mine is much the same).

So you'd almost be making it a dedicated server browser for BF3...

5. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Battlelog is for online community, and online gameplay / stats.

It WILL be required for the final game, so please people don;t be under any illusion that this is a beta thing. Battlelog is something they've been touting for ages.

For offline play (SP campaign) I see no reason why there wouldn't a separate executable (or indeed there may be a proper menu system where you can choose online of campaign mode)

6. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well i used Iron browser and it isnt as slim as u think. cause its using a lot of threads..wait heres a pic right after starting iron:

[​IMG]

my Internet explorer uses around teh same amount of ram and has just 2 threads..so i stick with ie for now, just for battlelog..all other i use my modded firefox,, hehe

7. Crugath

Crugath Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Ah fair enough, I wasn't necessarily going to use Iron, it was just the first one off the top of my head. But I will probably end up doing something along the same lines as I described above.

There's got to be some sort of ultra-lightweight browser out there?

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    That is a VERY good idea!

BetA said it still takes up a bit of memory but it's got to better than how it is now.

9. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    is there a way to edit the cfg file?..

10. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Notepad?

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Notepad ++

thats what u need..
    and it can be that when u edit it, the game wont start again..so do it at ur own risk mate..

and well its not easy to read the ini..just that u know..

12. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
    The web-browser launcher is pretty tacky, but it's the least of my worries.

I'm more frustrated with game breaking issues within the game than anything else.

Flashlights & Sniper Glint, they need to either remove them completely or tone them down to something less noticeable.

Sniper glint actually works to the snipers advantage most of the time, a light covering his whole body. Flashlights everywhere..just as effective as a flashbang...very annoying.. :bang:

And of course the following bugs within the beta.
    -Flickering screen/textures
    -Animation issues (enemies appear as a dead body sliding along the floor shooting people)
    -Bullets going through rocks
    -Sound problems
    -Falling through the ground

13. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    i just want squads fixing at moment;-( i mean ea/dice at least give a reply about whats happening with squads which would stop most of the hating complaing already vented my anger on battlelog forums , but iam sure they are fixed in retail game i hope

14. Crugath

Crugath Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    The flashlight works quite well when you're in the metro tunnels, but when you're out and about in the park or the city streets and someone's got the flashlight on, it's quite unrealistic having such a massive glare of light from it. If they tone down the glare from it massively while outside, I think it'll be ok.

Snipe glint is great, I think, makes it impossible for them to just lie prone and snipe everyone while remaining almost entirely invisible. If you aim square on at the centre of the glint you can get a headshot from a sniper without too much trouble.

And the other problems, the flicking and the messed up anims and such will be fixed before final release I think. It is hilarious seeing the animation bugs, I've seen players who are crouched, but are moving forwards, sliding impossibly along on their knees. Or when player characters go into the T-pose and run around, like they're pretending to be aeroplanes :D

I wish I wasn't stuck at work today, I'd much rather be playing the **** out of the beta...

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Flash-lights from my Team blind the **** out of me, annoying though.

Also, guys, what if someone DDoS's the Battlelog? Wouldn't we be kinda ****ed? 4Chan managed to keep some pretty big name websites down for days...that **** could happen here.

16. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Im gonna wait to pass judgement until i have seen the Single Player ;0)

17. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    How da fook do you and a mate get into the same squad?? Do you have to be part of a platoon together first or something??

Its pretty stupid you can't choose what squad to be in.

18. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Guys, just to make srue it gets read, what about a DDoS attack? Wouldn't that totally **** playability for the MP portion of the game, over? I also saw "Campaign" listed on the Battlelog, next to CO-OP, so I imagine you need to use it even for SP.

Oh well, cracks exist for such a thing...though this will be interesting.

19. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I'd imagine they're incorporating it into Battlelog just to have it all in the one place. But I'd say there will be a way to launch the SP campaign locally. If not, that would be major fail.

As for a DDoS attack, EA/DICE are not Sony. They're probably well on top of security issues.

20. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    at the moment squads dont work at the moment you just join random people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.