Nvidia and 120Hz..Help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Crow1001uk, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Hi all, registered to see if you guys and gals can help me with my problem.

I just purchased the Asus VG236HE for 120Hz gaming with my GTX 480 connected to it, the problem is when I try to run 120Hz through the control panel the images gets all distorted as below, now I figured this could be drivers so I've done all the clean driver installs with many different sets to no avail.

Next I thought it maybe a faulty dual link cable that came with the monitor so I purchased another and it's still the same. Anyone have any suggestion what the problem could be, software, hardware or something else, I have a few days left to send the monitor back by DSR so I would appreciate any input at all to help me sort this before I send it back, cheers.

60Hz
    [​IMG][/URL]

120Hz
    [​IMG][/URL]

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Edit: Just read about the cable. NVM

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Hi, yes one came with the monitor, it says dual link on it and is a lot thick than a standard DVI cable, as said I just received a new dual link cable today at extra cost and it's the same result. I even tried a standard DVI cable just for kicks, it lets me change to 120Hz but it's the same results as the dual link cables, this I expected though with it not being a dual link cable.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dual Link DVI refers more to the connector on your video card, not the cable...

Did you try both DVI's?

5. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Well I know my 480 has 2x dual link DVI out puts, and the cables are described as dual link because they deliver more bandwidth than your standard DVI cable. Yes have tried both connectors, I'm thinking it maybe a faulty monitor unless someone has some other ideas.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Eh not really...

[​IMG]

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well there's always this option...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not really what?

You're posting DVI connectors....and that means...?:3eyes:

9. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Well its cetainly the Cable thats the problem here !

The last picture, is how it looks when using a wrong cable ;0)

But then again you a certain its the right cable so check the connections ?

10. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Cable that came with the monitor is a dual link cable it has to be for 120Hz 3D vison support, tried that and got the result in my pics, I orders this and the same results, do you suggest I go for a third cable and hope it's third time lucky.

The connectors are obviously working as I get a perfect image at 60Hz, still if there is going to be a problem hardware wise I would think it would be the monitor at fault.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That there are obviously single link and dual link DVI cables and which one you use matters when running at higher resolution and refresh rates.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm wondering is there isn't some sort of set up for your monitor in the menu system. Even your 60hz image looks like the timing is off.

13. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Yeah the images are taken with a camera as the 120hz distortion can't be screen shot, it just shows a normal screen, the image does not have them stripes all over it.

As for menu options there is very little from what I can see and certainly nothing to do with monitor refresh rates.

14. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    Don't shoot this down till you've tried it.

When you change the hz and it goes funny like that, turn the monitor off using the power button on the front, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on.

Lemme know what happens.

15. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Cheers for the help but yeah it's just the same.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Have you tried setting up a custom resolution in the control panel?

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh yeah ofc, I just meant that most cables you buy now are Dual Link, but the connectors on the cards can be both dual & single...if that makes sense.......

18. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    Don't worry, there is method in the magners.

I had the same issue on a Viewsonic with nVidia and the above helped.

There are three things to consider.

1) A custom resolution
    2) Installing your monitors drivers from winupdate or vender (its why your nvidia control panel is displaying two different sets of resolution, one for hd/sd **** and one saying native)
    3) Third option is, are you trying to set a HD resolution from the HD section at 120hz? or the one that says (native)?

[Update]

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183963

Seems to be significant issues with this monitor and nVidia drivers - multiple fixes to various issues in above nVidia thread

19. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Well the resolution and refresh rate is there for my to choose anyway and it won't let me make a custom res for what's all ready available.

There are no drivers for this monitor, not from asus and not from win update On another forum I frequent a guy with a 580 has no problem with 120Hz and the same monitor.

Well the HD selection won't let me go above 59Hz, only native lets me pick 120Hz.

20. eiren

eiren Active Member

GPU:
    GTX480 @ 890
    That looks exactly like my 120HZ monitor before I realised the cable I got with it wasn't a dual link DVI-D cable.

Are you 100% it's the right one?