Acciendenlty switinching clear rtc while powerd ON

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by rashiga, Sep 25, 2011.

1. rashiga

rashiga Member

GPU:
    evga 460 gtx
    Hi guys i did a utter stupid thing last week i flipped the rtc clear jumper form "clear" to "normal" position while power is plugged on and now the pc is not posting :(
    so whats the worst scenario of this?
    what parts of the machine can be damaged?
    will i be able to run the pc with new set of bios chpis?

my current mobo is asus p5q - e

i knw this sound f'ing stupid but any help would be highly appreciated

2. Seansmit17

Seansmit17 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6870
    er.. then put back the way it was?

Should be fine.

When the pc is on and you try to reset the bios with that jumper/switch the pc will just turn off and wont post untill you put it back

3. rashiga

rashiga Member

GPU:
    evga 460 gtx
    i put it back but it still won't post

4. rashiga

rashiga Member

GPU:
    evga 460 gtx
    its boots with no post and after few secs all the fans get turned off and it boots again with no post one time without any ram installed i booted the system in dat instance i got the no memory beep ,only at that time

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Disconnect the power, carefully take the battery out, leave for a minute or so (and this is where you use the clear cmos switch/jumper thing), put the batter back in, plug in power, and you should be okay then.

When taking out the battery, have the case standing up so the battery is perpendicular to the ground (in other words, like it is an any tower case), it will drop out that way as its slightly spring loaded. Never use anything metal to press down on the battery holder lug, use something plastic like a pen lid with the plastic clip thing thats longer than the case of the lid (if that makes sense). In other words, something stiff, plastic, and blunt, that way you can't accidentally scratch the motherboard or accidentally short out a component.

6. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    If the board is under warranty RMA it right now as it wil lreduce the reliability of your bios chip it may have shot something on your mobo for eg:- bios chip.

7. rashiga

rashiga Member

GPU:
    evga 460 gtx
    sorry bro didn't understand what you were saying :(

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Take your mobo out of case and do as thatguy91 said. I'd also suggest to take all needless part out, so pc boost on minimum (cpu, system hdd, memory and video card).

9. rashiga

rashiga Member

GPU:
    evga 460 gtx
    well only part that installed is one ram stick all other devices and cables removed
    hdd ,vga etc

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What I actually meant was to do it with the system completely together, just unplugged from the power. The next step on from that is to leave the power unplugged, disconnect everything, then just connect the basics (1 stick of ram, cpu, power connectors etc) to get the system up and running and what would normally show the screen.

If it still doesn't work then, RMA it. Its not a good thing to RMA it when there is nothing wrong with it. It might sound a bit counter-intuitive if it doesn't seem to work and 'there is nothing wrong with it', but it can happen!

In all likelihood the CMOS is corrupted in a way the system can't cope with, so taking the battery out with the power disconnected, and using the clear CMOS thing wipes it completely so the system can re-initialise.

The second step of disconnecting everything, if removing the battery didn't work, is to get rid of any residual charge in the components. It should be left for 12 hours, so overnight is ideal. Much shorter than this it may not have had time to dissipate, longer and its just wasting time :)

Although this sounds like bull, if it works all good and you haven't lost anything by trying it :) RMA is a service thats often overused and abused, so use it only when you need to otherwise it will just push up costs etc of later models.

The issue you have, if it can't be rectified by removing the battery (power MUST be disconnected, otherwise defeats the purpose, and never turn the computer back on without the battery), and the disconnecting of the devices don't work, then RMA is a fair thing for you since its something that shouldn't have completely stuffed the board unless there was actually something wrong with it.