Very slow performance evga gtx550 ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Flakk, Sep 23, 2011.

1. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I would monitor GPU usage using MSI Afterburner to be certain of the issue. Some screenshots may help too. Here's what you do, take some pictures of games you like to play while onitoring the GPU usage, and post them ...

2. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Okay I will try that one, but first how should I get rid of my current drivers ? Just uninstall ? Then I upgrade my Chipset driver then install Beta Drivers ?
    these are the steps ?

Again thanks alot to everyone helping me sort this out, such a great community.

3. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Yes, everything you can find related to nvidia video card drivers in the system control for Programs and Functions, where all the installed software is listed.

I have a german installation so I don´t know the exact names for the entries in the start menu under Windows 7.

Yes, exactly these steps... if it remains sluggish we take it from there.
    What you can do for example is check the device manager if there are any remaining uninstalled devices or components. You might check the data transfer rate on your IDE/SATA controller for the drives.
    Windows throttles the data transfer mode if data get´s corrupted while transferred. I have a SATA-Controller and it says DMA is enabled for my 2 HDD´s. That´s how it should be.

Cheers

4. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Something is definitely wrong here, you shouldn't see any decrease in performance at all.

My friend has a E7300 + 9800GT. When he upgraded to a MSI GTX 550Ti OC, he got a nice boost in framerates. He's able to use 2x AA on most games and still get better framerates then with 0x AA on his 9800GT.

I would take the card out of your system, blow out the PCI-Express slot with some compressed air. Use a different power connector.

Then download Driver Sweeper and CCleaner. Uninstall your nVIDIA drivers. Run Driver Sweeper, then run CCleaner and do a registry clean. Then reinstall your drivers.

5. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Reinstall the OS save urself the headache

6. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Okay Uninstalled drivers, updated chipset driver then cleaned using Driver sweeper and CCleaner then I installed nvidia BETA drivers 285.27 and performance is way worse than before. :(

7. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    I´m running out of ideas on your problem !!!:confused:

So I guess when you´re saying worse performance you´re mostly refering to games and 3D applications. I´m assuming you´re running win 7, not that it makes much of a difference right now.
    Did you updated directx to the latest redistributable? If not, do so.
    IMO reinstalling your OS should be the last option since backing up all your vital data on the old system quite takes some time and sometimes I forget a couple of things.
    I boiled it down pretty much to backup all my Outlook Mail data, favourites in Firefox and some saved games mostly on C:\ system drive
    But if everything else fails it might be the better choice to just start fresh with a new system install.
    But first I would try to check any option available to fix the damn performance issue.
    Might be good to think about all the changes you´ve made to your PC prior to the problem appearing. Is disabling the HD Audio improving the situation?

Cheers

8. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Yeah i am on Windows 7 64bit, performance is worse than the previous WHQL driver 280.26 and not just in 3D games and applications, in everything like Firefox, high res videos, some low res videos and just sometimes the windows UI feels choppy.
    I redid a clean reinstall of the WHQL driver again and same thing.
    Yes i did update Direct X to the latest one.
    I will try out a few driver installs, before i finally reinstall the OS.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    then try 275.33 (or even 270.90 tesla) if you have issues with 280.xx and 285.xx.

10. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Okay I tried 275.33 and I got the same performance as the 280.xx drivers. Also noticed that if i play some mp3 music files on Windows media player CPU usage is like close 90% which is very weird, and theres alot of stuttering.

I will be reinstalling the OS now, and report back here for the results. Hopefully this should fix it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

11. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Alright reinstalled OS and everything seems to be working as it should! Havent had the chance to try everything, but for now old games like Guild Wars, Halo CE work perfectly and Crysis works at max res and High graphic settings at very good framerates. :)

Ill try more games when I get back from work.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Good to know, i'm glad it worked out for you. Finaly enjoy your games. :p

13. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    haha thank you :D

14. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Problems are back again, but this time only in older games. New games work very good and I am really happy. I am noticing slowdowns in 2D applications and old games like Warcraft 3 and UT2004, I upgraded to the BETA drivers and got an improvement but i can still see slowdowns.

Is this happening to anyone with 500/400 series and the new drivers? is it normal for these drivers to mess up on old games ?

15. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Everything works fine here.