AMD Catalyst Windows 8 (Engineering Sample)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Malfate, Sep 16, 2011.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    You can't use Windows 7 driver on Windows 8, end of story.
    And unless VMware properly supports Windows 8 as a guest OS, I doubt Windows Update would properly detect your hardware.

2. zinger

zinger Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    sorry i dont understund - Where is download location for windows 8 drivers?

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You can only get Windows 8 drivers via Windows Update on Windows 8.
    If Windows Update can't detect your VGA properly because you're using VMware, there's nothing you can do.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Er, I was able to install Catalyst 11.9 drivers on WDP without any issue or problem whatsoever. Everything installed (SATA, Display, HDMI, NB/USB Filter, etc), nothing failed to install, 3D performance was acceptable (and I didn't notice lower performance, if anything it was better) on my Radeon HD 5570.

But long story short, Windows 7 drivers work fine on Windows 8 :p

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Espionage724, @k1net1cs

Got a bit doubt on this one. I mean yes you could of use XP drivers on Vista and yes you could of use Vista drivers on early Windows 7, but the fact that
    they didn't activate the new OS core features makes them useless. I doubt that microsoft would release new windows operating system without some
    sneaky crap on their pocket yet again to switch the OS because of some idiotic graphical design model API that anyone could of code using OpenGL. ;P

of course I might be wrong about this and MS finally has decided that it's better to stick with the versions and use all the old crap there is.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It works, but it won't work faster than Windows 8 drivers.
    If there's around 20% lower performance (compared to native Windows 8 drivers), on a 5870 it'd be more revealing than on a measly 5570.
    Going from 100fps to 80fps, you can feel the difference; going from 40fps to 32fps, not so much. =b
    Even that is under the assumption the scaling is linear between both cards.

If anything, it feels faster because Windows 8 is lighter on your system.
    It actually uses lesser RAM with lesser processes on idling compared to Windows 7.
    On a 1GB system, it uses around 150 to 200MB lesser RAM on a clean install.

Regarding other drivers that work fine, WDDM is Windows Display Driver Model, so yeah, it won't matter to any other hardware drivers. =b

It's Microsoft, you can be sure of it. =b

I don't know if XP display drivers are still compatible with Vista (because XP had no WDDM), but Vista display drivers are still compatible for Windows 7 because WDDM 1.1 is backward compatible with WDDM 1.0, albeit with lesser performance than native drivers.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Quick question, does the latest Engineering Sample drivers have OpenGL? If I recall right, back when 7955 was leaked, the first Engineering Sample didn't include OpenGL support.

For a quick test, try starting Minecraft :p

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Have you tried using this?

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

Currently away from my desktop so can't really test it myself.

10. HisSvt2

HisSvt2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 X2 Crossfire
    Yes you can dual boot it no apps are attached to the os they are installed on.if you wanna dual boot it use a seperate HD. and then when you wanna go back you boot into 7 delete the W8 line from the boot in msconfig delete the extra drive and bam nothing is changed or hurt.

11. CodyPredy

CodyPredy Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire ATI R270X 2GB
    Maybe they'll drop the bloated .NET heavy framework and finally implement a fast boot and responsive CCC interface.

That thing should have been taken behind the barn and shoot in the back of the head a long time ago. Even with the new Mjolnir update it still boots like **** when you are trying to randomly open it after doing something else (never-mind doing something resourse intensive).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Haven't tried yet, and I also uninstalled WDP already :/ (.NET Framework 4.0 wasn't acting as it should of with some program, and GFWL was broken)

13. gpx

gpx New Member

I registered 6 years ago, but this is my first post, lol :)

[​IMG]

14. super-6-1

super-6-1 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6950 2 gig ram
    i was wondering if there was a download for them? i wanna use them on my windows 7

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Why bother?
    At best you'd get marginal performance because it's not a native driver.

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

17. leonmbj

leonmbj Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5850 1GB(OC)
    you can use latest Radeon Pro to configure the driver settings, as a replace to CCC

but forcing tripple buffering and vsync with radeon pro or D3DOverrider IS NOT WORKING