MacOS X Lion has Critical Password Flaw

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by deltatux, Sep 21, 2011.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    CNet reports today that there has been an exploit found whereby any user with physical user access to a machine with MacOS X Lion installed can alter the password of an administrator account even if the account does NOT have administrator privileges.

For more on this, follow the link: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...n-passwords-can-be-changed-by-any-local-user/

Thoughts? To me this is an epic security fail on Apple's part. There's no reports that this exploit is repeatable on older MacOS X versions. So at least my Macbook is safer ... for now lol.

deltatux

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There are reports on security on Macs every time a new version comes out. Mac isn't perfect, but there isn't a perfect system out there. :D

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    While it is true that there's no perfect system and that everything is breakable but this is really fail, people entrust that the operating system creator would create a security system that can't be broken by something this simple.

Hopefully Apple will fix this soon as this is a gaping hole in its security.

deltatux

4. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I think deltatux did this because too many people think of Macs as flawless machines.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, that wasn't my intention. Should that have been my intention then I would have gone out of my way to point out that every operating system ever conceived is flawed. However, I would've expected Apple to be better than this and have not designed the system so that it could so easily get breached.

Like seriously, didn't any Apple software engineers check this before they published it?

Like my prof said this morning ... obscurity is NOT security.

deltatux

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Give me 30 seconds with PHYSICAL ACCESS to any machine and I can get the Administrator password or root password and give access to other accounts.

Windows, Linux or Mac.

It's a very very specific flaw, so you need that physical access.

There are utilities out there that can give you access to a system by patching the windows kernel or Linux kernel on the fly allowing you to log directly into the machine. So it's pretty stupid to be complaining about this, or any other flaw that requires physical access.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I need to run and secure my macs ASAP! lol. :nerd:

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    All your Macs are belong to us!

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Can happen to anyone.

This.

Room mate doesnt have Lion, has one of those new Sandy i5 macbooks, havent upgraded to Lion yet. I'll check if it works with older OSX versions :)

11. johnny_h

johnny_h Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I'm not an apple fanboy(far from it actually, don't own a single Apple device) but I have to agree here.

It's just as easy, if not easier, to change the admin password on a Windows XP, Vista or Win7 machine if you have physical access to it. This is blown way outta proportion