Razer Mamba 2012 firmware update Windows 7 64bits

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MonstroMart, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Hi!

I just bought a Razer Mamba 2012. Great mouse but the wireless lag here and there. Not enough to return the mouse (specially since i do not like the g700) but still not as smooth as my good old g7. Just went to Razer web site and the firmware 1.04 description says they improved stability of wireless mode so i decided to give it a try.

The problem is i just can't get the firmware updater to detect my mouse. I did a google search and found some old solutions from 2010 for the old Mamba but none of them worked. Tried to boot using F8 and drivers signature disabled before installing the updater but it did not work. Tried to update the drivers from the device and printers panel (after a drivers signature disabled boot) but it did not work either. Some people said to install the drivers directly from Freescale but seriously i'm not gonna install drivers from a company i don't know on my computer.

Anyone updated a Razer Mamba firmware under Windows Vista/7 64 bits and could gives me some hint ? Even better a step by step guide XD

I heard bad things about Razer softwares and drivers but i did not expect them to be so bad. Right now i just fell like i bought a product from Creative and this is not a good thing at all. Updating a MB bios using a dos boot disc back in 1995 was actually easier ... not good for Razer for me to say that.

Anyway ty for the help.

2. gilsilk

gilsilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SO
    Hi,

Same problem for me: cannot update to the latest firmware (1.04).
    I've sent an inquiry to Razer support yesterday. As soon as I get an answer I'll let you know.
    It's really a shame for such a high end product to face that kind of problem. Kind of disappointing from Razer.

Cheers,
    Gilsilk

3. Mariano63

Mariano63 Guest

GPU:
    6950 x2
    I get that same problem but i'm using a naga epic. tried it on different pc's so I can't think of a fix. It's got to be the firmware updater. I also changed my older naga epic for a new one and both had the same issue.

this is the first razer product I ever bought and I think it will be the last, it has too much problems...

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    From what i understand the firmware updater needs to install some driver by Freescale (Freescale jm60 bootloader). Those drivers are not signed and wont install and/or work properly under Windows 7/Vista 64 bits. From what i've read booting in safe mode and disabling drivers signature before installing the firmware updater should make it works. But dunno why even doing that i can't get the firmware updater to detect the mouse.

Probably the same for me too. It's a shame the mouse from a hardware perspective looks to be really good. Shape is great. Can configure about everything via software. Charger looks cool. It's strange after all those years the Mamba issues are not all resolved. It reminds me of the Creative X-Fi debacle. Even after acknowledging the crackle and pop sound problem and doing nothing about it Creative still continued to sell sound cards having this problem.

The wireless lag using the 1.02 firmware is not too bad. It's occasional but still irritating. Sometime a left click is registered like 1 seconde after i did it. Sometime the mouse pointer lag for 1 seconde for no reason. Happens here and there maybe once or twice every hour of use.

It's a shame the logitech g700 is such a shadow of the old g7. Short battery life. Shorter than Mamba from my experience (owned both). No way to charge the battery without pluging the mouse with a cable or using an external charger bought separately. The g7 batteries swap system was such a great system it's really a shame Logitech dropped it.

Anyway hope i'll find a way to install the 1.04 firmware and hope it will resolve the occasionnal wireless lag i got cause the mouse itself is nice i like the shape of it and i prefer to put my mouse on a charger at night than plugging it while i play a game (i see you god**** g700).

5. gilsilk

gilsilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SO
    Razer support replied with the following:

"Hello,

Right before you start the firmware updater, press and hold down the top three buttons on the mouse (left, right and middle click) while connecting into the computer. Once you have it connected let go of the buttons, and then start the firmware updater."

Haven't been able to try this yet (I was on my way to work when the email arrived). Seems weird that this "button combo" isn't mentionned anywhere on Razer's website or in a readme.txt provided with the updater itself...

If one of you has a chance to test this, please let me know how it goes?

Regards,
    Gilsilk

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I'll try it tonight but yeah seems unlikely to work lol

But who knows i'll post here if i can get it to work or not.

7. gilsilk

gilsilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SO
    It works !!! Once i've pressed the 3 top buttons on the mouse (left, right & mid clicks) and plugged the mouse with the USB cord, some driver got installed and when I ran the updater program, the firmware upgrade applied straight away. Next it was the dock that needed to be updated. I've struggled a bit with this one too, but I think the thing is to press the "wireless" button on the dock while plugging the USB cord to it.

Hope this will work for everyone.

I can't tell just yet if the lags and click delays have disappeared with the new firmware, as I just did it. I'll be able to tell in a couple of days I guess.

Cheers.

8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Cool.

Will try that tonight. Did you let the mouse open while doing the 3 buttons trick or you closed it using the on/off switch ?

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    woot

Yeah it worked. Ty gilsilk. It's really a strange and totally undocumented trick ;) I think someone at razer forgot to write it somewhere ...

Now time to see if it really improved the wireless. Anyway if i still have some lag here and there it's not the end of the world as this is the only wireless mouse on the market i can stand right now. And i hate cables. So far used it for 30 minutes and no lag but it was not happening more than 1-2 time every hour so will need to try it more to know.

At least now i know i have the lastest firmware so there's nothing more i can do. Maybe using higher value for sleep mode would help. Having it configured at 5 minutes right now but 5 minutes is maybe a little bit low. Will try 10 minutes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. gilsilk

gilsilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SO
    The switch under the mouse was set to the "Off" position before I plugged the USB cord in. I just pressed the 3 buttons while plugging the cord in, saw the bootloader driver install and then released the 3 buttons.

After having used the mouse for a couple of hours, I can definitely say that those lags and mouse clicks delays are history. It works flawlessly now.

To conclude, it was kind of a pain to update the firmware but it's really worth it.

Hope all Mamba 2012 owners will experienced the same improvements over wireless connection.

11. dbrowny

dbrowny Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 2GB HD6950
    Oh wow... this is exactly what I was looking for.

Ive had similar annoying issues with wireless lag, clicks not registering and the scroll wheel simply not moving. it works perfectly in wired mode.

Ill do this trick... however how do I uninstall the firmware? Ill probably need to reset mine to whatever default level and then update it again using this 3 button trick. Mine is 1.04v however i dont remember changing the firmware for the wireless dock AND the mouse, I just did it for the mouse? Im not sure.

Also this is probably a good place to ask, but how do you get the battery case off? I want to use it without the battery in wired mode but I cant seem to remove the case... Im sure you all knew the pain of getting the perspex case off, and then the mouse from its cradle so yeah, I dont feel too bad about not knowing how to do this :p

-

Sigh, well i did that trick anyway. killed my mouse for a while, tried to run firmware updater and it said no device detected. lag still remains. zzzz. i didnt have a problem running the firmware updater before, but i did have the similar lag issues :|

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  12. gilsilk

gilsilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SO
    The firmware cannot be uninstalled. I think you should try the 1.04 updater program using the 3 buttons trick and see how it goes. If it sees you mouse already has the same version installed it will skip the mouse update and proceed with the dock upgrade. But I doubt your mouse and dock would have been shipped with different firmware versions.

Removing the battery case is easy. It only requires a finger nail in order to lift the cover up.

13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Are you sure your mouse came with the 1.04 version of the firmware ? I just bought mine and it had the 1.02 version.

If you did update the firmware you probably updated both the mouse and the dock unless you closed the firmware updater before it completed both updates.

14. dbrowny

dbrowny Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 2GB HD6950
    Yeah mine was shipped with 1.02. I did the 3 button trick and apparently my mouse didnt need to be updated, but my dock did. either way the problem remained. then I got a reply from razer about my scroll lag issue;

"Hello,

we manage to recreate this issue and we have forwarded this to our engineers. We will update you once we have any news."

I did not expect this :/

Also my battery case feels like its jammed, Ill break my thumb nail if I pull it any harder. I dont get it, do you have to push it in first for it to release?

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    There should be a bug in their updater.. i have the old Mamba, and no problem for update the driver, firmware under win 7 x64bits.

If windows tell you the driver is unsigned, he ask you too if you want to install it, say yes and it is ok. it's the same of when you use unsigned driver for your gpu, soundcard etc..

16. bartolomeo

bartolomeo Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 570 Phantom
    First of all thanks for the tip with the 3 buttons... :nerd:

I've got Windows 7 - 64 bit. Mamba is (it says) successfully flashed on 1.04 with the driver 2.0 but still lag in wireless mode:

When I'm on a page (word or internet explorer etc.) and don't move the mouse for a bit more then 10 to 13 seconds (sleep mode configured after 3 min.), the scroll wheel wouldn't somehow be registered. And then, when I move the mouse it somehow all wakes up and the page flips immediately down as many steps I before scrolled down the scroll wheel.

Sometimes the left mouse bottom reacts only by the second click...

The other problem appears also in wired mode: The "On-The-Fly Sensitivity" bar on the lower right hand corner of my screen is only appearing from time to time and by fare not always.

wrote this to razer support and come back here with the answer...

17. dbrowny

dbrowny Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 2GB HD6950
    Heres your answer... I emailed them the exact same issue

"Hello,

Daniel, we manage to recreate this issue and we have forwarded this to our engineers. We will update you once we have any news.

Please let us know if there is any other problems with the mouse or driver.
    Thank you.

Your customer number is xxx
    Please refer to case #:: xxx if you have any further questions.

If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at http://www.razersupport.com. Please include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Best Regards,
    Kerwin T. at Razer Technical Support
    support-us@razersupport.com

-----------------------
    Hello,

I have been testing the mouse in a variety of settings to determine what the issue is here, this is what I've found.

In wired mode, I have not been able to notice a non-registered click during any of my tests.

On my main PC (original test computer) in wireless mode on my desk in normal usage, clicks are rarely not registering (about 1 out of 100 wont register).
    When used on my desk with all possible interference turned off, the problem remains.

When used on my laptop (different location), the same results are observed. I verify this by simply having a picture slideshow active where clicking the mouse changes the picture, and do this until one of the clicks simply does nothing.

I also found a way to easily re-create the mouse scoll lag issue. If I open a webpage or any document which I can scroll down, if I simply leave the mouse idle for a few seconds (5+) and then attempt to scroll, nothing happens. I ensure that the window is active by clicking in it before trying this test. If i dont move it for 5 seconds, i can scroll as far as I want and nothing will happen. as soon as I click a button or move the mouse, the page instantly scrolls all the way to the bottom (or wherever it would have been after all the scrolling). This is particularly noticeable when i am reading a webpage and go to scroll down, even if its merely 5 seconds without touching it, it just doesnt register the scroll. However even when the mouse is sleeping, i can 'wake it up' almost instantly by clicking first so I know its working in that regard, its just scrolling which has this issue. If I dont scroll the mouse for even 1 or 2 seconds when in wireless mode, the first movement of the wheel doesnt register either.

As before, i have not seen either of these mouse scroll issues when in wired mode. I should also state I have never seen an issue with cursor lag, it has never lagged or skipped for me once in wireless mode.

Im lost for ideas on how I can isolate what is causing these clicks not registering and the scroll issue though when wireless. I will try on a friends PC at a later date when I am able to to test this, im hoping maybe you may have an idea on what is happening before I have to take that next step.

[...]

thanks."

I was going to return my mouse but I dont know if the one id get replaced would be identical, it seems this is an issue on the first batch of the 2012 mice. Im hoping they might do a recall or something but i dont feel particularly patient... the issue is easy to recreate enough if i send it back to the retailer but that would just leave me out of pocket, without a mouse for a week and the same problem :|

18. bartolomeo

bartolomeo Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 570 Phantom
    Hay and thank you for your answer dbrowny

So we are at least two with laggy mice after upgrading firmware and drivers.

I'm very surprised that some of us here have no lags anymore and others still remain with the same problems as before upgrading?

hope razer finds a solution quickly, because I think the price is too high for problems like this and still the mamba is a beauty and the most accurate mouse I so far experienced

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I did not say i have no lag anymore. I still have lag and un-registered left click. For a strange reason i never had any right click not registered just left click. I also still have mouse cursor lag. But i think the mouse cursor lag happens only when i resume after the lift-off distance setting kick in.

Ah i just found a thread about this problem. Seems like a known problem.

http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,8234.0/

Looks like this is a problem at low dpi only. I prefer to snipe at low dpi so this is a problem for me.

I found the cursor never lag if the mouse stay on the pad. It just lag for a while sometime (not always) when i resume after the lift-off distance setting kick in.

I really don't know what to do. I think i'll keep the mouse and hope Razer will resolve the issues with some firmware updates. If Razer doesn't resolve it then it will be my first and last product by Razer. I never bought any product by Creative after the X-Fi crackle and pop debacle.

There's just no other wireless mouse on the market right now that i like. I'll wait for logitech to wake up and release a new gaming wireless mouse with some way to charge the battery othe than plugin in using a cable. And anyway i had a problem with the g700 lift off distance. The distance was way too big and i found no way to change it via drivers.

SO i'll keep it and hope. Hope Razer resolve the issues and hope Logitech will design their next wireless gaming mouse better. g7 ver 2 but i'm not holding my breath.

20. bartolomeo

bartolomeo Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 570 Phantom
    ...it is getting even worse: now the trigger hangs at some sidebars and the hole mouse looses tracking (also in gaming sessions). The only solution is to get tracking back is to stick the wire in the mouse and then back in the docking station...

This is very annoying and not worth the money. If there is not e solution from razer in one weeks time I have to think about returning the mamba to razer

Edit: @dbrowny and @MonstroMart

What polling rate du you have? I changed at the beginning from 500Hz to 1000Hz and had this lag issues and now I read here

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=14351.0

that different polling rate may be a solution for the moment till razer brings a sufficient driver etc.

So I went back on 500Hz and the issue is still there but by far not so often...
    If you find time test it and let me know

Edit No 2: it is not the polling rate it is as long I do have open the Mamba Configurator lag issue is less or even gone? As soon as I close the Cofigurator lag is back.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011