Windows 8 tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by humonculus1987, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Anyone got this working on vmware 8? I keep getting a DPC watchdog violation when trying to install.

2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    My colleagues showed me it was quite easy and straightforward with the x86 version of Win8 (using Win7 default template). I don't have a license for Workstation 8 yet :(

3. Infiniti3D

Infiniti3D Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 Ultra H²0
    I found the problem of Apps not working, it has to do with the minimum resolution
    supported by windows 8, which is 1024X768. My tablet runs a max res of 1024X600 preventing the Metro style apps to function properly.
    For people running the preview on a VM, resolution and the lack of proper drivers can also cause problems. I modified the register and forced the res beyond native.
    I really toughed windows 8 was tablet and mobile device minded, I hope w8
    Rtm will run on any res otherwise you need one....of a tablet!

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Anyone else having issues downloading from windows updates? I can't download the files needed for .net framework versions.

5. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    I haven't had a problem so far I just got a bunch of updates a couple days ago.

6. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    2 things I've found...1. The Search function can be very useful as far as customizing your Metro GUI. 2. If you have a graphics card that isn't currently supported you can run the graphics driver install in Windows 7 compatibility mode and they may install. That worked for me. Catalyst Control Center won't load but that presence of the driver smooths out the experience greatly...keeping mind I loaded up Windows 8 to a spare computer and not a virtual machine. I attempted a virtual machine but the performance was garbage (I'm doing this all at work).

7. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Check out this site for all your needs.

http://www.askvg.com/category/windows-8/