Quick Question about Prefetch

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Baalberith, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Baalberith

Baalberith Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX2080 Ti OC
    Hello all,

Im just about to install 2 Crucial 128GB SSD's. I've read the recommandations of Hilbert regarding the settings in Windows.

But now im confused. Does it also require to disable Prefetch in the BIOS?
    Also im running an old Striker Extreme mobo, so i dont have ACHI support in the BIOS, will this affect the performance much?

Thank u very much for any help :)

Remco

2. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Prefetch is a function of Windows so you will not find it in BIOS. And it does not hurt in any way if you leave it alone. And you have the AHCI function in your mainboard BIOS. Just look at the SATA controller options.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^There is a prefetch option in the BIOS, but it's for optical drives and doesn't affect SSD's. Also the OP's chipset doesn't have AHCI support.

@OP AHCI should give you better performance, but as your board doesn't support it there isn't much you can do unfortunately...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. TERRABYTEONE

TERRABYTEONE Guest

GPU:
    32g
    ssd tweeker (program) recommend that you turn off + boot optimizing+ prefetch for ssd(software) not bios.

http://elpamsoft.com/

5. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Doesn't Windows 7 do that on its own already?

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Not all of it no.

That program takes about 2 seconds to run great little bit of software.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Every motherboard that has SATA on it has IDE compatibility and AHCI modes, they may just be under different names. The IDE compatibility mode was only enabled so that Windows XP & XP sP1 (thats how long ago we're talking) could install without using a third party driver - definitely not a good idea to run these days. Just be careful enabled AHCI mode (or disabling IDE compatibility mode or whatever its called in your BIOS) as Windows disabled AHCI support if its not detected - done move by Microsoft since it always catches people out. It can simply be re-enabled in the registry.

I won't mention how to do it since you need at least partial knowledge of what you're doing!...

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No, that's not true for all boards.

SATA and AHCI are two mutually exclusive concepts, and AHCI wasn't even implemented until nForce 4 came along.
    AHCI enables extra hardware features like NCQ and Hotplugging, which are both managed by the motherboard SATA controller.

And if it's not supported by the motherboard then you certainly won't enable it in Windows.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was just thinking that can't be right. A quick google of the Striker Extreme came up with a lot of people asking the same question. The board does support it, its just not listed in the bios. In any case, use the bios 2002 which seems to be the latest for the Striker Extreme.

The google results came back with the answer of people suggesting enabling RAID on the controller, as RAID supports the AHCI features. If you don't specifically configure RAID it will work normally (even with multiple drives attached).

Like I said though, once you do that you have to enable the MSAHCI driver in Windows.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah, if there's no AHCI option then RAID is the next best thing...:)

12. Baalberith

Baalberith Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX2080 Ti OC
    thx for all the replies,

SSD's are running, pre(super)fetch is disabled, indexing and defrag also.
    On the RAID part i need to try that out. Maybe better to step up to an
    X58 chipset and get some extra processorpower also.