My Sapphire Radeon 6870 is an oven !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ili1911, Sep 6, 2011.

1. pratik

pratik Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD4850 512MB
    great..............hmmm

2. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    no...i have the same card and i only get around 60c when gaming i have nothing overclocked thoe

the tower im using is this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

also what are your temps at idle???

i idle at 37c with fan speed set a 48% at all times and i get around 60c when gaming at 48% fan speed

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. ili1911

ili1911 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 6870

I idle at 39-40 with auto fan speed. well ... seems only fair, your case is much better ventilated than mine, I've got a Asus Vento ( despite the name, poorly ventilated ) with 1 extra fan, on the back, the standard config, you must be having like what ? 3 fans ?

I'm planning on getting the exact same case later this year, your temps just convinced me :wanker:

4. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    While the GPUs themselves are generally tolerant in high temperatures, a problem might occur with the soldering material that can melt and some pins of the GPU or memory might get disconnected and cause artifacting or tearing. For this reason I want to keep my video cards running no higher than 70 degrees, or if it is not possible, I make in-game breaks to allow the card to cool periodically.

This particular problem is what can possibly be fixed with the oven-trick (I already had a card fixed like that myself)

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Indeed.. ive installed aftermarket coolers on several cards and will be picking up an accelero twin turbo from the store this evening for my 6870 , also sapphire.
    I have seen my card go up to mid 70s but never high really, but that could be because I use the fan automation with the sapphire gpu utility so my fan ramps up when it starts getting overworked.

Ive seen plenty of evidence to support the claim that not all gpus heatsinks are seated properly and that the paste can dry up after some time.

sounds like first step would be to repaste and reseat and see how you get on with it.

6. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb

i have 2 in front 1 in back and there's a bib one on top of case its a mid case but has lots of airflow running threw it you can take of the side and feel the air pushing threw the case :)