Safe Temperatures For 2x HD6970 Direct Cu II ??

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by JohnnyDeepsiz, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyDeepsiz

JohnnyDeepsiz Guest

GPU:
    2x HD6970 Direct Cu II
    I am running Asus HD6970 Direct Cu 2 Crossfire. I'm setting fan speeds to %100 all of the time when playing games.I have very good air-cooled chasis with too many quality fans.

When playing Crysis 2 + Direct x 11 pack + Ultra graphics patch @ Ultra settings. (Only VSYNC is off)I dont like to use it because of the input lag.

I m very very happy with my crossfire performance.

My upper card's max temperature is 85C.

Bottom card's max temperature is 75C.

My cards are very very close to each other because my mother board only have 2 x16 pci-e slots.

Ihave a creative sound card over the upper gpu.I can say that my upper card is sandwiched between sound card and other GPu.

I cant change their slots because my mother board.(Asus p8pz68-V PRo)

Are these temps are safe ?
    What can i try to lower the upper gpu's temps?

Please help me.

Thank you....

2. summmat

summmat Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 (unlocked)
    85 degrees for a DirectCU II is a bit higher than usual, but by no means an issue, I don't think you need to worry about that at all.
    If you feel like its warmer than you'd like to see, you could try positioning a 120mm fan pushing air between the two cards a bit to force more cooler air towards the cards fans.

Technically 85 isn't really too hot at all. You only need to do anything about them if you'd prefer they were cooler.

EDIT: SORRY! didn't spot you said you set them both to 100% when gaming.

You could try wedging a small amount of card (just fold a bit up and wedge it against back of one card and front of another) between the two cards to force a small gap to open between the two GPU's, only a tiny bit, but I've done so in the past with surprisingly positive results, worth a go, its often the only real way to allow more air in when you don't have a motherboard that gives enough spacing.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  3. JohnnyDeepsiz

JohnnyDeepsiz Guest

GPU:
    2x HD6970 Direct Cu II

Tried to opening a space between two cards but nothing changed : (

My chasis : [​IMG]

I m using all of my chasis's fan slots , and i positioned them like in the picture.

Is there anything ı can try ?

Thank you for your answer

(sorry for my bad english)

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I been running 4850 on 115C for 3 hours. Radeon fears not of hear / fire / inferno.

It's green Nvidia that fears of heat and burns to hell.
    nah, joking. Nvidia is fine.

Your temps are fine my friend. It shouldn't damage your cards. Cards are too close to each others, leaving them not much breath to take of cool air. Best you can do is provide better air flow by adding more fan cases.

5. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Your card is going to die eventually. My old 8800 used to run at 105c and above when gaming, and that was on 100% fanspeed. It lasted for months so I thought it was ok, but then it started artifacting and freezing and stuff. Now I can't even boot my pc with it in (I'm guessing ram failure)

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Rofl it's gonna die very shortly. 48xx were crap anyways

7. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    That does seem high for the Direct CU II, isn't it a triple slot cooler those two in your rig must look monstrous! I think Hilbert tested one of these and im sure his temps weren't as high, just checked he does have a review his temps where like 61C.

Now i know OP's running two, but the bottom one surely should be more inline with this temp? Also don't know if Hilbert was running 100% fan speed, must be annoyingly loud at 100%

8. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Try to place one or more fans directly on top of the cards similar to this:

[​IMG]

You could also fit something like this below the bottom card.
    http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...ex=284&cl_index=2&sc_index=34&ss_index=83&g=f

If all else fails you might want to consider replacing the cooler or even the entire top card so that it uses only two slots. Your temps would probably improve.

There's a third slot, it only runs in x4 mode though.

9. disaster101

disaster101 Guest

GPU:
    asus 6970 direct cu 2 2gb
    thing is it can depend on the temp of your room too i mean i have the same card my highest recorded temp so far is 77c but that depends on the game cos ill only get 60c on grid anyway if you have a hot room your temps are going to be higher than normal i tested it a few times one point i got 70 then later i got 77 so as others said try to get better ventilation or try keep your room cooler that will help too

10. disaster101

disaster101 Guest

GPU:
    asus 6970 direct cu 2 2gb
    oooooo also forgot to say i got cooler temps when i put my gpu down a slot on my formula 4 because of the position of the cpu cooler blows towards the gpu dont know if that will help at all

11. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    I have two asus reference 6950s unlocked to 6970..under full load @ 950mhz core the cards run at 77 and 72 degrees respectively..my room temperature is about 36 degrees.. celsius..i use a very very crappy 15$ casing (got it 7 years ago) with the side open..to keep the temps down i got 2 120mm coolermaster fans and stuck em right above the gpus...also make sure the gap between the cards isnt obstructed by the pcie power connectors going to the lower card...that'l lower your temperatures further...

as for safe temps..anything above 85 C makes me nervous...cards run up to 105 C but thats not safe at all..

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  12. Alkerion

Alkerion Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hello !
    I had big issue with GFX temp, changing the chassis solved that :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348563

What are your idle temps ?

Now with new noctua 14cm fans (replaced the Fractal stock fans) I have 75°C @ 100% / 3D @ 980/6000/1.250V

GPU fan around 15%

BR

13. JohnnyDeepsiz

JohnnyDeepsiz Guest

GPU:
    2x HD6970 Direct Cu II
    I solved the problem ! I installed 3 60mm fans beside the empty space between two cards which blows fresh air into the space between the cards.

Now max temperature for my cards is ~70 C

Thank you for your helps