Will Q9400 OC to 3.2 bottleneck 260 in SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TrigHappy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Who cares if its faster than amd? You can run high end cards on it but it will be held back especially in CPU limited games. Should I run sli 580 on a Pentium 1 as CPU power means nothing in gaming as you are insinuating?

2. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Dude what yes that CPU will hold it back!!

3. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    I gave much more helping information in my 'trolling' posts than you did with your brainless ****.
    I would love to know how many people wasted their money 'cause of retarded posts like yours. No other hardware baord has so many clueless ****s who have no idea about CPUs and PSUs like Gruru3D. Other boards are laughing their asses of 'cause of the 'superb' knowledge of many members here who even have thousand of posts(!).
    I'm looking forward to see members from G3D to be the first ones to use and advertise 2 CPUs with a 2kW PSU to elminate the 'CPU bottleneck' with 2 or even 1 GPU and when it happens i will also gladly laugh at you :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I think too many people here are mistaking a simple case of a CPU intensive game for a CPU bottlenecking effect. Just because other CPU's would achieve higher framerates in a game with the GPU in question doesn't mean the GPU isn't doing all it can. OP, test some games other than FC2 and see if it makes a difference to your CPU usage.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Alphalfa. 100% CPU usage indicates CPU bottleneck. Take your links where a q9550 has higher framerates than a nehlam at 3.33 and shove em. Your a troll and a tool and they are your best 2 qualities.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    right or wrong you really are acting like a dick.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    His post might look like a trolling but still he have a point though.

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Yea FarCry2 is a bad example, mostly/or only benefits from huge memory bandwidth (i7 and SandyBridge), just like Resident Evil5.

So booth look/act like cpu bottlenecks.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah but dont act like a dick about it.
    its a a hard thing to narrow down without all the info on settings and specs in some cases.

now that i read the op's post
    first off fc2 sucks with sli out of the box and not much better even if you do play around some with the profile
    i see the rez. and would think it would not bother you too much since its 1920x1040
    as said farcry2 has its drawbacks before you even add any variables

now as for the troll he put down the forum and its members so f him.
    i do feel he might have a point on the "you need this or that "cpu bottleneck blah blah" just dont even post till you count to ten or something.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    cowie this forum is going downhill with trolls like alphalfa. some people should be given anger management classes before they are allowed to buy a keyboard. or it could just be a monkey with a keyboard trained to be angry?

11. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    your CPU is more than enough for a sli of 260, you just need to OC it a bit more.

i ran a 3way sli of 260 on a 9550@4ghz and it was just perfect, a friend had the same mobo but with 3x275, still any bottleneck to be seen.

i even ran 3 470 on it until i switched to a I7 960, and to be perfectly honest, i've seen a difference of +30% (P9500->P13500 in 3Dmark), but not worth the money of the upgrade yet IMO. now with a 2600K@4.8ghz you'll get another bump, but then i'm sure your pair of 260 is going to hold you back big time.

my advice, keep your money or spend it on OCing your CPU, buy 4gb of low cas 1866/2000mhz DDR3 and the best cpu cooler you can get, push that baby to 450/475mhz FSB, then OC your 260 and you'll feel like having a new computer for less than 150$.

(ps : bottleneck is the most over used word here, as long as you keep all your computer components around the same generation/price range, you'll hardly run into any problem. )

12. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I ran 2 GTX 260s on a Q6600 overclocked to I can't even remember what. I played FC2 on highest settings, 1920 x 1200 res and it was perfectly smooth.

13. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    You will not get all you can out of your sli 260 with your cpu at 3.2GHZ. Sli does require more cpu to everything out of it. Go ahead and over clock both gpu's and then the cpu see what happens...
    You mention you get about 50 fps now in sli, I have included a link to show what happens in a 3 way sli using core 2 and i7 cpus. It not the best comparision granted. Look at the farcry2 bench with a core2 and then what happens when they use and i7.
    I can remember a test done like this with two way sli and 2xx series Nvidia cards if I find it I will post it. When the 9xxx series quads were out sli with say a 280 nvidia did not get you much more that a single did well at least nothin in the 70% or better FPS improvement. But the the i7 showed up and kabam, SLI was really looking good again. It just needs more cpu power the get all it can deliver.

Check the FC2 benchmark does that 50 FPS look familiar?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/19

14. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Forgot to mention When I had a e8400 @ 4GHZ and a single 260 (216) card I got @ 45FPS at 1920x1080 on very high settings. That should tell you something.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    sooooo it looks like he is cpu limited by the lastest findings.....i wonder if that dick is laughing now?

we should be all laughing at the forums that dick goes too....even thuo they all cant be a mean nasty no nothing like that dick.

16. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yep CPU limited just like we all knew already... Bye Trolly hehe

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    sli 260 is still a pretty powerful setup. they need all the cpu power you can give em on socket 775. OP can you overclock your cpu higher than 3.2ghz

18. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    my knowledge is limited but i also have a Q9450 at 3,2ghz and it still runs the current batch of games "good enough".

ofc i would like to update my cpu and gpu to a 2500k and something but i rather put the settings a bit lower and wait for ivy bridge.

your setup is still powerful enough to run all games at decent settings.

19. pazot

pazot Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580 FTW H.C2 Quad SLI
  20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    answer to op is yes your cpu at that speed is holding your sli setup back.

@tommyk2005 dont feed the trolls! :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011