Aaaaargh! Bad memory module!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cupper24, Aug 13, 2011.

1. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    It was a hot, dark night, and I was playing BF:BC2 when BLAM! CTD!!! From then on CTD after CTD, and here I am thinking it's software. I must have changed every setting one-at-a-time multiple times trying to rectify the issue. No dice! These were followed by a BSOD in NASCAR Racing and a random system hang while using CCleaner... All within a week.

So I decided to start with RAM. I run 4*2 gb of Corsair Twin2x4096-8500c5d, and began the long cycle of testing each stick in Slot 1. First one passed after running 18h of memtest. Dropped in stick #2... After 32 mins. registered 7 errors :( !!!

So my plan is to get in touch with Corsair to warranty it. My real problem is how to proceed. I have the 3rd stick of 4 in there right now. I'm just going to check and make sure the others aren't bad while I'm at it. So, this means I potentially installed Windows 7 with a bad stick of RAM seeing as it has only been a month since I did a fresh install.

This is the first RAM failure I have had in 3 builds since 2003, so I would like to get some thoughts. My initial gut says to just reinstall Windows, but it's such a PITA, I don't want to do it unnecessarily.

Thanks everyone!

Cupper24

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    How is RMAing a bad RAM Module that is under warranty "Unnecessary" ?

Of course do it

3. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Oh, whoops, I meant not reinstalling Windows unnecessarily. Definitely RMAing that SOB. Sorry, on the ole not-so-smart phone.... I edited the post to be more clear.

Cupper24

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    to verify that is it your RAM, download and run MEMTEST86+ before boot. My mate thought his CTD's were because of his RAM he ran memtest and everything came back normal, until he carried on using his PC and his cheap PSU blew up!

5. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Right-o, check my original post. Ran memtest pre-boot on two of four of my sticks. One survived after 18h, one didn't... 7 errors later.

As an aside, my PSU is brand new and one of the best 850W PSUs on the market currently. I do plan on testing it to make sure I cover all my bases while I'm at it.

But, for now, I am testing stick 3 of 4 with memtest and plan to test 4 of 4 as well, again, to be thorough (it's the test engineer in me...).

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Ah lol, no probs :D

If the RAM is failing there is no reason to reinstall Windows unless you are experiencing issues once it is replaced - but even then you could just open an elevated command prompt and type

sfc /scannow

Leave it to scan, then reboot if told to at the end.

That should repair any missing or damaged system files

7. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Many thanks!!!

Stick 3 of 4 made it through memtest without a hitch. Now testing 4 of 4.... We shall see. Then I plan to just go ahead and test the RAM on my GPU, and finally the PSU (newest system components) just to be sure nothing else is borked.

Really hopes this ends all the crashing. It was actually kind of a relief that it was a hardware issue, because I was about to pull my hair out!!!

All the best,

Cupper24

8. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Well, I finished the suite of testing on my RAM, and everything (sticks 1,3, & 4) passed 18h of memtest. I dropped the faulty stick back in and tested it once more, and got 39 errors in 19 mins. of testing. Definitely found the culprit.

There any good modern-day tests that are compatible with 64-bit OSes and modern-day GPUs? Should I just test the system by extensive gaming now that the faulty stick is out of the equation?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Have read several complaints of Memtest86+ producing false or inaccurate results as of late. I'd recommend using Memtest 4.0 from memtest86.com (from Chris Brady, the original memtest developer)...

http://www.memtest86.com/

Memtest86+ only exists because Chris Brady stopped developing Memtest for several years. He finally released Memtest86 v4.0 back in March (March 28, 2011).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  10. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    That's the one I was running (memtest86 v4.0). Actually didn't notice the "+" in CPC_RedDawn's post...

I played COD4 for two hours today, no issues. Going to try and reinstall Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to see if the freezes and CTDs stop.

Thanks,

Cupper24