Rage

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mcharj11, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Carmack was a a genius when he thought of naming his game RAGE, this thread is "living" proof. :cussing:

2. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    It is worrying seeing a once pc gaming hero say that he's focusing on the console versions of his latest FPS and that they struggled with pc hardware.

3. stewox

stewox Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870
  4. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    ehem, shhhhhhh.

5. stewox

stewox Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870
    eh .. raging over misinformation is sad.

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I don't see the issue. He's saying they struggled because they tried to optimize it... rather have him struggling in order to optimize instead of delivering a half assed console port.

7. WTFX

WTFX Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560 Ti TOP 1GB
    Wait.. There's Rage for iOS devices.. Is this the same thing for PC (& consoles, whatever) or is this gonna be a longer game? (would expect so.. but identical title..?)

8. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I guess so but it still saddens me that the main focus was put on consoles.

game still looks great but I won't be buying day one.

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  10. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    um, what? Excuse me sir, but where did i rage?

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well yeah, the main focus had to be on the consoles. id knows how to make a top end PC game, they've been doing it for years and don't have to prove anything to the PC market.

But, this is id's first multi-platform title. They've got to make a great showing on all platforms with this.
    And it's the consoles that they have the least experience with. So, it only seems natural that they'd have to put more focus on those versions to make them reach the id Software level of quality.

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Whatever, as long as PC version won't suffer from it.

13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Oddly they still have to code the console games on a PC :) Pc's will never die they need them to create console games.

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    22 gig install in xbox wonder what the pc install will be, nm if we get higher res textures than the consoles theoretically at lest, or if our install will be more or less the size of the xbox one.

15. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Hey, sure. What ever helps you sleep at night. Truth be told, they have infact made games for consoles before.
    This generation of consoles has been the biggest video game money maker ever. Of course they are going to focus on consoles. I guarantee it has nothing to do with lack of experience with the platform.
    Let's look at the points;
    1) They are a business.
    2) They make video games.
    3) They are releasing a FPS.
    4) The FPS market is saturated exspecially on the PC.
    5) There are fewer AAA FPSs on a console.
    6) If you want to guarantee sales that equal profit you need to focus on the console release.
    7) If the console version is sub par and not represent an AAA title you will lose market share.

For a company to not put focus on the console version it would be commiting suicide. The only games that sell consistantly well for PC are MMOs, RTS, RPG and FPSs that focus on Online MP. YOu have to make a really, really, really ground breaking FPS for it to sell well soley the PC. If you don't believe me just look at the top selling games for the PC in the last 5 yrs. How many of them are FPSs and are PC only? How many FPSs sold more on the console? Go ahead check.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Nobody is trying to argue that it's a bad business move to develop for consoles. It's not, it's a smart business move... and any developer these days that wants to continue to be successful knows this.
    Consoles make up the majority of sales in the market.

All I'm saying is that id won't dump on the PC version just because they are now doing internal console development.
    Dropping Activision and going to ZeniMax allows them to keep a strong focus on the PC versions like they want. Where as Activision wants console development first and PC to be an afterthought.

And yes, there have been id titles on consoles before. But this is the first one developed internally at id Software. Quake 4, Wolfenstein, Quake Wars... even the Doom 3 port... were done by other companies.

17. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    Rage Preview | bit-gamer.net bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/08/08/rage-preview/1

Doesn't look good... meh game

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/8/12/news/82821/

Does not affect the PC edition as it's Steam and can't be sold or otherwise traded without the entire account but used copies (second hand sales.) will see restrictions.

This isn't new and things like EA and THQ "online" passes or otherwise already work in similar ways (On the console.).

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ah, the console “DRM”
    Sounds more like an incentive than a direct punishment, probably won’t be popular anyway, can’t say I was over the moon to see a similar feature on my 360 copy of UFC Unleashed 2010.

They will have to get used to it on the consoles anyway, I can see many other publishers introducing this in the future, though it could escalate to actual game content being missing from the disc eventually.

20. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Hmm, I think it could be a really good game. It's all in the gameplay, story and flow of the game. If those are excellent, you won't feel sorry about slight technical issues, graphics, or even strong similarities to other post-apocalyptic games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.