Games compatible with SSAA in CCC

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Aug 9, 2011.

1. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    SSAA or Supersampling Anti-aliasing gives the best anti-aliasing results with the complete elimination of jaggies and crawling ants, but results in a severe fps drop. The game is indeed completely rendered at a higher resolution (2x for 4XSSAA and 4x for 8XSSAA) and then downscaled to you display resolution. So with SSAA 4x at 1080p, the game is rendered at 3840x2160.

Just override application settings and choose the supersampling method in CCC.

Here is a list of the games I know to be compatible with SSAA. They are all DX9.

- Batman: AA
    - Mass Effect 1
    - Mass Effect 2, absolutely gorgeous with SSAA 4x at 1080p.
    - All Source games (Portal 2, HL2, TF2, L4D2, etc.)

Portal 2 looks stunning with SSAA. For me, aliasing is the most severe immersion barrier when it comes to graphics.

DX10 and DX11 titles cannot be compatible, AFAIK.

One can do supersampling in GTAIV using ENBseries mod but cannot use CCC option.

Are there other games out there that support SSAA in CCC?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. heltonxl

heltonxl Banned

GPU:
    HD 5850
    games that i tested and works with ssaa:

virtua tennis 4 - incredible image
    forsaken world - in large cities is very slow
    red faction armageddon
    doom 3
    silent hill homecoming
    Alice madness - fantastic graphics with 4ssaa
    Test drive unlimited 2

3. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    1. Sparse Rotated Grid SSAA option in ATI/AMD 5xxx and 6xxx, doesn't upscale images nor downscale.

2. You don't need to override application settings all the time (if the Directx9 game supports MSAA); You can just move the AA-type slider to SSAA and adjust MSAA inside the game to get equivalent value.

Apart from that, hell ya..I like SRGSSAA. But due to the way it works, it just won't work in all the games. It will only work in games which support MSAA in Directx9 D3D mode (or in games, where forcing MSAA works).

-Edit-

Sidenote:
    • 2xSSAA is just too weak (if you have EQAA, enable this with 2x + SSAA)
    • 4xSSAA is good** <- best option for 99% of the games
    • 8xSSAA is just tooooo blurred (this is how it works so, depends entirely on the game)

And For Mass Effect 2 (which doesn't support ingame-AA), I found overriding the AA values to 8x + Edge Detect (an effective 24x) provides the BEST** image quality than 4xSSAA. The tiny little details really flash up on the screen with perfect image... Start up the new game and you will immediately see the difference when the Illusive man & Miranda are talking in the game.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i thought when SSAA came out, the requirements were 'any game that supports AAA', not just capable of forcing MSAA

how does this compare to tommti's ssaa tool? (which works on dx10/11)

5. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Good question. Tommti does render the game at higher resolution but does not downscale it. Your display will.

There are 2 issues, as far as I can tell with Tommti. First, you need to boot without driver enforcement and then you need a display capable of downscaling to your standard resolution. I suspect the downscaling is rather cheap compared to SSAA but I cannot confirm. It may also be incompatible with many displays or even damage it.