Black borders in DirectX 10 games

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by enoch, Aug 1, 2011.

1. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    All dx10 games have black borders around screen @ 1920x1080 resolution.If I run in Directx 9 it works fine.

Overscan is set to 0%.I tried adding each mode and setting the refresh rate and scaling options for each which I read is supposed to fix the issue but, it didn't work.:bang:Maybe I did it wrong?

Can anyone please give me steps to fix this issue?

Here's the other thread I found on this issue:
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=124481

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I have this problem ONLY in crysis/crysis 2 on my 1080p HDTV. It sets the refresh rate from 60 to 50 hz, thus I get the black border.

I fixed it by running CCC and setting 1920x1080x 50 HZ, then opened the scaling option and reset that back to 0 manually. By default it was 15% or something like that.

3. TheWhateverDude

TheWhateverDude Member

GPU:
    HD5870 1GB@Stock1080p60Hz
    Each time, after you change resolution/refresh rate and set scaling options, kill ccc.exe and mom.exe with task manager. thats how I did it and it saved them for each resolution/refresh rate

4. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Thanks for the suggestion but, still no luck. :( It has saved the scaling options for each resolution/refreshrate the problem is the games don't detect the correct refresh rate.

In Assassin's creed I get the black border but, when I go to change resolution there are 3-4 different 1920x1080 60hz to choose from and only one of them gives me fullscreen.WTF!?:bang:

Two Worlds 2 doesn't have any refresh rate options so, it's stuck with borders.

I've already tried reinstalling the games and my video driver.Is there some way to delete the incorrect overscan options from registry,maybe?

Is this only fixable with os reinstall?

Here's another post I found on this issue.Same issue :http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/170106891/m/2961043737

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

5. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    quit playing console ports with odd refresh rates hard coded

6. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Quit posting useless remarks if you've got nothing helpful to say.

It's not the games it's ATI drivers.I don't care what your opinion is on consoles or ports and that has nothing to do with the issue of ATI drivers.

7. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    yes it is the games you only get boarders like that when the game engine decides to use retarded and unsupported refreshrates ( 50hz,59hz,72hz,)

8. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Like i said your opinion on consoles/ports is not my concern so, I'm not going to argue with you.

Like I said why don't you quit posting in this thread since you don't want to actually be even somewhat helpful?:stewpid:

9. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I was on 11.5's since fresh OS install and everything worked fine in directx 10.This issue only occurred after I updated the video driver, recently.

Only happens when I run directx 10.Even the console port games work fine in directx 9.

Gonna test a non-console port game in directx 10 now so I can rule that out as the sole cause of the issue as that one kid claims.:stewpid:

10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    This is really old issue :)

I wonder what an GPU scaling option would do. Let the GPU scale the graphics. Other than that well there are ways to force the refresh and resolution
    permanently by Windows registry or 3rd party filter, but that's not gonna be easy way out.

11. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Tried GPU Scaling still same results.Nothing I try is working.It's an old issue?What's the fix, then?

BTW,254 views on an old issue and only two people helping?wtf?

12. Bio Shock

Bio Shock Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6950

the solution to this is to turn off full screen in the options of crysis 2, along with vsync. once that is done, exit the game

run d3doverride and set it to monitor crysis2.exe and force a 60hz refresh rate

next, start crysis2.exe and when you see the very first logo on the screen (the EYE looking thing) hit ALT+ENTER to fullscreen the game

you wont have any borders and your game will run at 60fps full screen

not sure about the OPs problem with every dx10 or 11 game, sounds like a driver or pc config issue to me. only time ive ever seen this happen is in crysis2 personally

hope that helps you, if it doesnt work, re-read and follow this post step by step. no need to screw with CCC and custom resolutions.

13. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Just tested Stalker Clear Sky directx 10 still getting black borders so, not just ported games like that one kid said.

I'm getting 3-4 different 1920x1080 60Hz resolutions to choose from and only one has correct overscan applied in games that let's me choose resolution/refresh rate like assassin's creed..

14. TheWhateverDude

TheWhateverDude Member

GPU:
    HD5870 1GB@Stock1080p60Hz
    You might want to try disabling desktop composition (aero) for dx10/11 games (go to the shortcut's properties and tick it, its in one of the properties tabs-i think "compatibility"). Aero was causing me a huge headache with all dx10/11 games.
    Also it sounds to me something got corrupted, maybe do a driver uninstall and clean (driver sweeper and twl's cleaner) and install again.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Quit playing console ports, if he did that he wouldn't be able to play any games at all lol.

16. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Seriously,....wonder where that kid's been for the past 5 years?

Tried reinstall drivers cleaned with driversweeper,updated directx ,tried all the CCC scaling options and custom resolution settings, reinstalled all games after deleting every game folder even the ones in appdata finally,.....this problem persist even after reinstalling OS!!!WTF!?:bang:

I'm obviously doing something wrong.

17. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    broken game is broken

18. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    onemoar, you're not helping so sod off!It's not just ported games it's all directx 10 games like I've already explained.

The problem is dx10 games are defaulting to 1080i @ 30 hz.I've set the overscan to 0% for this mode and fixed the black borders but, why is this happening and how can I get them to launch 1080p @ 60hz???

http://www.rage3d.com/Board/showthread.php?t=33931994&page=3

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  19. Bio Shock

Bio Shock Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6950
    do what i suggested for the crysis 2 fix. it SHOULD work for any game. disable vsync, disable fullscreen. exit game. run d3doverride monitoring said game/s. launch game, ALT+ENTER.

it baffles me when people give suggestions to others that WORK and they dont even bother giving it a shot

20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Bio Shock,

Thanks for the suggestion. Would running D3doverride conflict with Radeon Pro?