Ubisoft Nuking Used Game Sales with Uplay

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by blinx, Jul 18, 2011.

1. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    It had SecuROM, FO3 had GFWL and later Bethesda (publisher) got in the "Steam only" van with FONV (and Skyrim it seems) wich is kinda of annoying since i dun use Steam...

Beth doesnt do crazy sht like limited installations and such like EA and Ubi but they cant trow the first stone either.

2. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    1 game sold= 1 copy payed for = 1 copy owned= 1 copy played. Used sales are games that have already been payed for. There fore, 1 game sold= 1 copy payed for = 1 copy owned = 1 copy played. Who the money goes to in the post retail market is moot. I a buisness can thrive on Post Retail goods then by all means go nuts. I don't see GE or Maytag up the Salvation Army's ass for lost sales.

To say they should still get payed for a used copy goes against what the free market stands for. It has been threough retail and is now in post retail and as long as an illegal copy is not made the origianal should be able to be sold with all content and rights to content passed over. This is a tried, tested and true method. It works in every other market from car sales to movies, and even the highly policed Music industry. What is so friggin' spectacular about Video games that they seem to think that they should get payed twice for the same sale? And what is it with the video game consumers who think that this is "Ok because MP is a seperate part of the game and the money has to come from somewhere...." BS???
    First off the game is payed for by the original purchase. The used byer doesn't add any extra to the loop as 1 copy was bought, 1 copy was sold, 1 copy is played. How is that extra? It's not. It's neutral. No gain but at in no time was there any loss at all.
    If they got their way and the used market crashed and everyone had to by a new copy of every game, guess what would happen? The cost of games would increase because it would show that people are willing to do that. Those who just wait for a used copy are now going to wait for a bargin bin version of the game to come down the line in 6 months. The companies projections fall short. Great losses are reported. BOOM! All the next big name games released all have WOW's pricing model. (It`s just like gas prices. Does anyone think gas got twice as hard to get as it did 2 years ago?)I don't really want to pay a monthly subscription for every game I play and if you don't think this is where it's headed then you are blind or really don't think about your consumer rights and how they are manipulated. (Not to sound too tin foil hatish but trying to make a point and by reading the amount of posts that called rather well thought out and well written posts "stupid" it needed to be said.)

It`s how you cook a frog. Put it in cold water and slowly turn up the heat. It won`t jump out but actually cook to death. This is what they are doing to this market. We are all allready in the pot and they have just started to turn up the heat. Wake the hell up and jump out or pay the consequences.

On the the big name companies side, they are just doing what every capitalist buisness is supposed to do. Manipulate your market and capitalize on it any way you can. Can't blame them but I can refuse to agree with them. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  3. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    I don't know how much truth there is to this, but i read somewhere that places that do dedicated games or small businesses make so little money off of the new titles they sell, just to be able to keep competitive with the larger stores (retail giants) that they have moved to second hand game sales so that they can make the profit needed to stay afloat. If that is true then ruining second hand game sales seems like it can really mess with some businesses.