My new computer! It sucks :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OmniShift, Jul 20, 2011.

1. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    Hello everyone!

About 3 months ago, I bought a new computer put together by a professional company with the parts I assigned to it (all done online). I've bought stuff there before, this is just the first time I customized it (by which I just mean it's not a default setup). Problem is: It sucks...

Before buying it, I got it checked by a few friends who know what they're talking about and they said it was good. Now I'm no expert (I know enough to make decent decisions on which parts to take and which to leave), but this computer is slower than my previous, of which the GPU died after a couple of years of loyal service. RIP 8800GT. So that would seem rather strange.

My old computer had an Intel Q6600 processor, whereas my current one has an AMD Phenom II X4 965. I've read stuff that Intel is better at multitasking than AMD, but this is crazy. With that old computer I could run 3 games simultaneously while barely noticing a difference in performance. Now my computer has to pull together all its strength to manage 1 game and any other decently CPU-using application, and then everything is still going very slow. That doesn't sound right to me.

As for my GPU, I went from an NVIDIA 8800GT to an AMD Radeon HD6850. I thought it's performance was right for that GPU, but a benchmark showed otherwise. When I tested with 3DMark11, the GPU's scores came out with the slowest results of systems like mine, reaching only half the points of what bar was set for my system.

Now I'd really like to know how come my CPU and GPU are performing so horribly. I also think I'll stick with Intel and NVIDIA next time I buy a pc, but since this 1 is only 3 months old, it would be a complete waste of money. After all, I may assume the parts themselves are working perfectly fine, otherwise they wouldn't have passed quality control.
    Also good to know, I've never overclocked either of those GPU's or CPU's, so I really have no experience in that field.

If anybody needs any more info on my computer or wants a dxdiag, I can provide those. Thanks in advance.

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart

Intel AMD

Core i7-2600, -2600K
    Core i7-965, -975 Extreme, -980X Extreme
    Core i7-970, -960
    Core i5-2500, -2500K

Core i7-860, -870, -875K, -920, -930, -940, -950,
    Core i5-750, -760
    Core 2 Extreme QX9775, QX9770, QX9650
    Core 2 Quad Q9650
    Core i3-2100
    Phenom II X4 Black Edition 975

Core 2 Extreme QX6850, QX6800
    Core 2 Quad Q9550, Q9450, Q9400
    Core i5-650, -655K, -660, -661, -670, -680
    Phenom II X6 1100T BE, 1090T BE, 1075T
    Phenom II X4 Black Edition 970, 965, 955

Core 2 Extreme QX6700
    Core 2 Quad Q6700, Q9300, Q8400, Q6600, Q8300
    Core 2 Duo E8600, E8500, E8400, E7600
    Core i3 -530, -540, -550
    Phenom II X6 1055T
    Phenom II X4 945, 940, 920, 910, 910e, 810
    Phenom II X3 Black Edition 720, 740

CPU Hierarchy Chart shows you only moved up 1 slot (not worthwhile)

(NVIDIA 8800GT to an AMD Radeon HD6850) This was a good upgrade for higher Resolutions...Plus you get DirectX 11

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    To be honest, it sounds like something is slowing down your GPU.

Let's go over the basic checklist first:

1)- Check that all the power cables (PCI-E 6/8 pin) are connected to the GPU

2)- Latest drivers:
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

3)- Monitor your temperature while playing said games, both the CPU's and the GPU's:
    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
    http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/

4)- Monitor your CPU and RAM usage, you can use the default windows task manager for this.

5)- Make sure your HDD's are fine:
    http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

4. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    Wow, that's certainly an eye-opener, airbud7. I knew my old computer was very well worth the money with that processor and graphics card, but that this processor is this mediocre... It hurts :S

A shame about the switch from 8800GT to HD6850 is that I used to be able to use an ancient monitor as second screen with my new monitor. Now it doesn't accept both monitors, probably because they're not of the same caliber (which is required according to the AMD site about eyefinity).

Also, thank you for the tips, Brute Force. I'm afraid I can't open up my computer or I'll lose the warranty. Especially in this case, I better keep that as a plan B.

My drivers are kept up to date every week with AVG PC Tuneup 2011. I also did a registry check with it, which only increased performance by a few %.

The temperature barely increases when I open up more applications (from 55 to 57 degrees) while the fan speed remains around 40%.

One of the games I run (and ran at my old computer) pretty much all the time is Atlantica Online. I've already posted a complaint on the forums that it's CPU usage is insane (over 700K and at 20-30%).
    Crysis 2 uses over 1100K with about the same CPU usage. It's set on 'Advanced' graphics (which is I think the lowest since the others are Hardcore and Gamer) at 1920x1080 and the reaction time like moving the mouse and actually seeing the cursor move is slow (about a 1s delay). I didn't play this game on my previous computer though, since it wasn't released at that time. It does however give me the hardest time playing properly, even if it's the only application running, while it meets all system requirements.
    Dragon Age Origins at max settings (1920x1080 with Very High detail and AA x8) runs without any issues like that. It takes about 300k and 50% of my CPU.
    I hope that should give you an idea of it's performance.

My HDD seems to be in good condition according to that program you mentioned, Brute Force. Temperature at 37 degrees.

5. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    They will never know if you open up your computer dude. All you have to do is unscrew the two screws and its open and they will never know lol.

You need to check your stuff. Don't ever just trust someone to build your computer good. You should have built it yourself so you know exactly whats going on.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My local computer chain retailer uses a special sticker on the edge of the side panels and in order to open it, you need to break the sticker.

deltatux

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yea, Somethings wrong, I play Crysis 2 with those same settings and it plays good on a
    E8500
    HD 4890
    Your system is better and should have zero lag....Im like Brute Force...Check that all the power cables (PCI-E 6/8 pin) are connected to the GPU

Also...Do you see all 4 cores running in task manager/Performance tab?

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Fail chart, how is the E7600 and the like rated above the Core i3 series, as well as all those AMD processors?

Where did you get this exactly?

9. dromen

dromen Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5670 gddr5
    I agree! I went from a Q6700 to a Phenom II 920 and it is faster and I have no issues playing the latest titles.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Screw the company's warranty. Each component has its own warranty, so incase something goes wrong just contact the manufacturer/brand. Open up the PC. Makes sure all over your drivers are up to date and also chipset drivers.

Run ccleaner and also do a defrag too. And no, a Q6600 to a 965 isnt that good of an upgrade.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    First gen Core i3s had low cache and only 2 cores. Wouldnt be a suprise if the e7600 was faster as it has more cache.

12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    E7600 AND Core i3 530 are in the same Slot...

Core i3 530 is a $95.00 cpu

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Oh, so it's "slots" then. You needed more description of how the grouping works.

14. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    My first guess would be graphics card or cpu might be overheating and throttling down in speed but you checked that. Maybe do a clean windows install and only install drivers to make sure there is no crap like avg on your system and see how games run then?

15. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    Wrong, OEM products are different afaik

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    How OEM parts work is that they are sold by the part manufacturer "as-is" to the consumer and only extending warranty service to the OEM builder. So regardless, for all OEM parts, you must deal with the OEM as the part manufacturer will not offer warranty services to the end consumer.

This is the same with Microsoft OEM licenses where the OEM builder is to offer support and Microsoft will only supply the software and license and that's it.

deltatux

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, nice one! Using a ''special'' sticker on the side panel and you have to ''force'' it off so if anything goes wrong the store will know it's been tampered with, haha!!

That's why it's ALWAYS best to buy the parts you need and assemble it yourself with your own hands and effort...

Makes you feel a whole lot better too since YOU assembled it and not some random guy in the shop...

18. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I would have to agree with the guys that say open it. first thing that came to my head is that they didnt put the correct hardware in.

download CPU-z and GPU-z and check the specs of the hardware.

if its all fine. run some benchmarks and test temps.

unless you have some seriously dodgy ram as well.

19. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    but you can use both monitors the same way you did before with nvidia ATI EYEFINITY is not multi-monitor, its mixing 2-3 monitors into one, but you can use extended desktop.

20. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    Just like deltatux said, I have a sticker that 'seals' my computer and prevents it from being opened without losing the warranty. If that sticker doesn't stick anymore or is ripped because the pc is opened, I got nothing on my warranty anymore.

I do still have a big box filled with smaller boxes of the parts that are installed in my computer. The only box that has content left (besides documentations and the like) is a box of AMD with (I believe) a heat sink. I was surprised about that at first too, because which company would forget to add a heat sink, but doesn't forget to put it in the box? So I believe this is a reserve or something.

@Kanej2007: I don't know the first thing about assembling a computer by myself. If I would, then I know indeed that the blame is only on me if it goes wrong, but I think the chance of it going wrong is also higher than when someone does it who gets paid for it. Besides, I needed my computer fast because the old one was almost falling apart.

@Ji1986: I have 4GB of Kingston memory, so that should be plenty.

@Black_ice_Spain: AMD GPU's use Eyefinity, which apparently only use if the monitors are comparable. Since 1 is ancient with a VGA (using a VGA to DVI converter) and the other is about a year old with a DVI connection, they're far from that. My NVIDIA card could extend the screen on both monitors without a problem. When I try to do so with this GPU, it just doesn't do it. It's either 1 or the other, but I can't extend the display.