AMD: Xbox 720 graphics will look like Avatar

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 17, 2011.

1. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Xbox 720.
    [​IMG]

2. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    The new xbox if it is like current generation PC's then people should expect amazing graphics that our current PC's cant run. The reason is the API overheat and API limitations the PC has.

On consoles they program direct to metal and they avoid using any API. So the graphics will be amazing.

3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ha awesome :banana:

4. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Well im in the same camp as you, i prefer playing pc games with a gamepad aswell. Lets be fweinds :) Then we can take on all these suckers with there mouse and keyboard and show them how its done!

5. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Ive been there as well dude. Took me years to actually recover after i came off them but i still have severe insomnia. I think ive just trained my body to not need sleep anymore. I probably shouldn't operate heavy machinery though. :nerd:

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Quite easy to train yourself to sleep less, well not at first, but eventually you adapt.
    I've been getting by on 3-4 hours for several years now, actually feel more tired if sleep more than that.

As for this new Xbox, clearly marketing crap, and sure the many artists who worked for years on Avatar would have something to say about that, but something like the new Unreal engine is likely.

7. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Yeah i get that aswell if i do have a good nights sleep (rarely) say for about 8 hrs which is apparently the right amount of sleep for someone, i always feel like crap the next day. Worse than if i slep for only a few hours. Still its no way to live though, its not good for mental health but even if i take sleeping tablets i still can't sleep so im in a real bind.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol yeah, long term it can't be, keep expecting my body to go, right had enough, and shut down for a while.:3eyes:

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    It doesn't matter. The new xbox won't be capable of Avatar like graphics.
    I say a bit better then Crysis 1, that's all.

10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I doubt it.

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    You seem to have missed the all important words

"IN SINGLE PLAYER GAMES"

If someone figures out a way to beat me in a single player game...they deserve the win to be sure ;)

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Should be a lot better than Crysis1, which these days isn’t that impressive.

As I said previously, wouldn’t be surprised if the new Unreal engine running that Samaritan demo was designed with the next gen consoles in mind.

13. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Something tells me this next generation hardware will be current pc hardware (or at least.. half..."gen" behind current) with direct to metal programming, just like last time ey

14. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    ...programming in machine code? HAHA

15. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Why are you laughing? Even on todays consoles, most of the coding is done in Assembly, which is only one step higher, and I'd imagine at least some high-performance loops would use inlined machine code.

16. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I honestly doubt that most of the coding is done in asm.
    Also since you say that assembly is "only one step higher" were you previously suggesting that programmers code using integer machine codes, instead of symbolic language like asm? Or?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  17. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I highly doubt any game programmer would program their game in assembly code.

18. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    I very much doubt that more than a small percentage of console developers even look at assembly code.

Those that do are developers with the resources and ambition to do something extra with their game so it sticks out from the vast majority.

For example, there was Factor 5 and Rare on N64 that made custom microcode to make their amazing looking games, and it was better than SGI's microcode.

But that's not common at all.

Most of them just use the console's SDK and most probably license an engine to work on, so they are already on a very high level when it comes to buidling the game.

Back on topic, consoles are marketed to kids and teens mostly nowadays, so they make claims to hype believing youth that will swear by their products.

Anyone who knows a bit about CS knows that as fast as evolution goes, it's too slow to catch movie CGI effects, mostly because enterprise tech is usually the same as consumer tech but usually faster and more reliable.

19. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Weird thing is that I'm much more comfortable pulling moves and combos out of the keyboard than i'm with the gamepad. I've literally beaten the crap out of my friends who use xbox 360 controller to play street fighter 4 :wanker:

20. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    You'd be surprised; most projects have at least some low-level assembly involved, though most of the work these days is done via middleware API's. [Although those API's themselves are generally wrappers around assembly calls. I've yet to see a PS3 engine use PSGL or OpenGL ES rather then libgcm. due to the extra abilities libgcm affords [like writing to the RSX buffer directly]].

Anyone who thinks that fixed hardware is void of assembly programming is very badly misinformed.