Jeffro's " I'm a complete noob and need help" thread.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye, I wish I had the patience to carefully bolt down the cables behind my motherboard tray :p, I just route them behind the tray and it's a bit of a tangle back there in my Cooler Master case :p

deltatux

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Just out of curiosity Jeff, how much is the grand total that you owe him?

3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Dude, if a motherboard manual says it's "max x8 link" then it's max x8 link. As in, not x16 link. Get it now? Good.

Now, about spanning. Or should I say spamming? For all of the obvious reasons in the world, you've brought that up because the OP mentioned something about using the 640 GB Western Digital disks to "make one big drive" with them. You then automatically assumed that would have to be spanning, when in fact it's striping that would be the least idiotic assumption. I've explained why. You haven't.

Duplexing matters because the ICH10R only has four ports so if you've got an optical drive attached to it (because the Marvell SATA3 controller doesn't support optical drives) then RAID 10 is out of the question because it requires at least four disks. Thanks to Windows 7 software mirroring and the fact it supports duplexing, it's still possible to mirror a RAID 0 array consisting of three disks if the fourth port is occupied by the optical drive because duplexing means it allows you to place the mirror onto a disk that's attached to a different controller (Marvell). All of this matters, because the OP has one 640 GB Western Digital going into RMA and has been considering to order an additional 1.5 TB disk.

If you still fail to see my point now then I'm not going to argue with you any further, sorry. I have better things to do, like writing J2EE software in Eclipse (yes, unlike you, I don't reveal my occupation in my profile because it attracts too many noobs who do little more than just moan on and on about e-peen and all that).

4. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Well....I have to go through his bill ( which was a hand made excel spread sheet ) m but he won't get paid a dime with just this. I need a copy of the original Newegg receipt ( or any other company ). I can write all this stuff off on my business later on down the road.

Grand total for all the parts ( just the computer ) was $1276.00 in parts. BUT , I'm going to subtract the cost of the fans he put in here , which were all used anyways and he charged me $36.00 for those. And then I'll subtract another $250.00 for the water tower he built for me and just give that thing back to him. And I already paid him $300.00. So , total due to him is $690.00. I'm going to pay him another $400.00 this week , and the remaining amount of $290.00 will be paid in person when I hand him over all the used fans and water tower and he gives me an authentic receipt for all these parts.

5. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I would try to get the receipt or order slip if you can, for warranty purposes incase something happen... but hearing about this guy I almost doubt he saved any records.

6. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Hey guys , for my wire management , I'm going to have to order some longer SATA type cables.

I have....
    3 HD's
    1 DVD burner
    and a dual sata port jack with a plug in that says "Power".

I need to order 4 cables for the HD's and DVD burner....do they need to be eSATA , SATA , SATA II or SATA III ? Also the dual Sata port thingy that mounts in the back mounting plates where the the video cards mount up.....are there different versions of this I can get? And what exactly is the "Power" plug in for?

Oh yeah.....I'll need to order up some 24" long ones in the color red....are there some good flexible types out there?

7. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Will do for sure. If he doesn't show me the documentation....he won't get paid in full for sure.

8. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Make this noob give you some extra red SATA cables for your trouble. I'm sure he has some even if he is a total dork

9. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Honestly....I don't want anything else from this guy. He would sabatage them some how like sticking them in his ass or something like that hehe......I'll get new ones.

Speaking of the Sata cables , after I figure out which type I need.....what is the difference between the cables which are angled "Right" or "Left"? I don't get it......can't they just be turned around? And mine say "ASAP" on them.

Sheeesh.....just tearing this thing down and figuring out exactly what this stuff is , is a challenge. I'm having a blast doing it though! Gonna try and make you guys proud when I get this thing all back together.

10. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Basically a left angle cable is oriented the opposite way so you can angle it up instead of down or position it differently. It's hard to describe without a picture but SATA only plugs in one way and depending on which angle the cable will go down or up if the drive is mounted horizontally. I hope that's a good explanation.

Just standard SATA3 cable should do in whatever configuration you like to make the cabling work for you.

11. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Instead of labeling them "Right or left".......they should label them "up or down" you would think? I need three that angel up from the HD's , but one that angels down from the DVD drive.

Edit.....actually , looking at them , if I got some good flexible ones I could just use the strait ends without an angel and they would work great.

12. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah I mainly prefer straight cables. The main reason you may want right angles if there is not enough room ie no clearance to close the door on the chassis like with some Dell cases.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Either way, I would avoid those crappy red sata cables that normally come with motherboards etc. They are really sh*tty. Get some quality ones and pay that bit extra. Will avoid "disk not found" errors further down the road.

I used these for my build, quite nice; Akasa Serial ATA 45cm DAYGLO Blue Data Cable. You may need longer ones though.

14. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Jeff that computer is scary.. I cant believe he thinks he knows what he's doing... :/ I have never seen vga fan held on by zip ties alone... Wow. No wonder you had bsod's

15. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Oh I hear ya moose! And check this out......I just sent him another email ( a good one...no cussing ) about the final bill he gave me. I made some more adjustments to it as well. He charged me $30.00 more on the CPU , and didn't give me either rebate ( Total of about $40.00 )....So I just knocked it down another $70.00 or so. So total amount owed is actually really close to about $630.00. Which will be paid in full in about 2 weeks.

I'm giving him back that pile of sh!t WT , all his used 120mm and 80mm used , and mismatched fans. AND.....I can tell you one more thing....I'll be happy with that amount , but if he gives me any more grief , he'll be getting that raped 6870 as well! And I'll just order a new one.....since he screwed it up to begin with.

16. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    UUHHGG!!.......God damn it! Found another hidden surprise. On that swift tech water block , he had one mis-matched screw.....no biggie right? Only thing is , that one screw is twice the size of the threads on the other 3 black ones.....So I couldn't replace it even if I wanted to to!

What the hell is going to happen when my big CPU air cooler gets here? Do they all run the same screw pattern?

I swear to god.....I'm about ready to load up all the parts out of this thing and give it back!

17. StoneyOC

StoneyOC Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC
    Would it be wrong to suggest rebuilding it into an elaborate petrol bomb?

18. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    I just sent him this email........

" Dude.....I was on my way out the door and while the van was warming up , I decided to finishing unhooking everything and pulled the mounting / center section out of the case.

What the hell? The water block you have on there.....I figured I could just find a set of 4 matching screws . The one odd ball one you used has threads twice the size of the other three. So now even if I mounted up the "used" water block or my new Air CPU cooler I have coming.....the ****ing screws still won't match.....because the board has been drilled out!

I'm seriously thinking about boxing everything back up and giving it back to you. i could keep the ram , HD's and the one video card and paying you for that........and you take the rest.

Is there anything in this thing besides those three things you didn't hack on , cut , re-wire , drill wrong or spray adhesive on?

I'm starting to find out why you didn't want me opening this case."

Time for the freak show to start. I can hear it now , so I better go get my bullet proof vest on and call a friggin' lawer.

You guys think I may be over reacting here? I don't feel like I am , as most of my stuff has been hammered on..........and I haven't even had the chance to use it yet!

19. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Well...i could of just put a couple pounds of gun powder in there and ran it for a while. Because sooner or later it was just going to catch fire and burn to the ground anyways.

20. zinjin

zinjin Guest

GPU:
    Evga
    Oh man this just keeps getting worse, you should put out a post that basically says "avoid this person at all costs".
    If he doesn't cooperate with you or adjust pricing, ect.. You may have to end up taking this to small claims court. You have pictures that backs up your claim, plus the emails between you two. Document everything and keep all communications between you two in a secure place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.