MSI 560Ti Hawk vs EVGA 560Ti Superclocked

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JoeSixTooth, Jul 17, 2011.

1. JoeSixTooth

JoeSixTooth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    I want to play games on a single monitor at max settings. The Witcher 2 is my newest game. My HIS Radeon HD 4870 isn't cutting it anymore.
    I'm looking at either an EVGA 560 Ti Superclocked
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130610

or and MSI 560 TI Hawk
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127578

My dilemma is I have a coupon for the EVGA which combined with the current rebates brings its price down to about 190 USD. The MSI is 250 USD. So is the Hawk worth the extra $60?

I'll be overclocking my CPU to 3.6 Ghz.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. JoeSixTooth

JoeSixTooth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Nevermind I coughed up the cash and got the Hawk.

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    if it's not too late - i would take it back and get the cheaper one. The only difference is that the Hawk has a special aftermarket style cooler and will run a little cooler. The EVGA is overclocked a little and should have slightly higher performance.

4. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Too bad I didnt see this post yesterday I would have suggested the EVGA, especially with that coupon. Oh well you can't go wrong with either one. Cheers!

5. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Yeah, it's too late. EVGA all the way. For 190 a 560Ti is a steal. Could have gotten easy to the Hawks clocks. An I really like the quality and style of EVGA.

6. JoeSixTooth

JoeSixTooth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Ha ha you guys changed my mind. I talked to newegg.com and they said to simply send it back for a full refund when it arrives. I ordered the EVGA, saved me $51. Thanks a lot for everyone's input.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you made the right choice the msi is higher quality, especially the lightning series. the evga is just a reference card

8. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    MSI Hawk, ftw!

9. mf2385

mf2385 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    +1 for MSI Hawk GTX 560 Ti

10. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    EVGA ftw sir with that coupon, otherwise the hawk. I want your coupon! GIVE IT TO ME!

11. JoeSixTooth

JoeSixTooth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    The coupon came in the retail box for The Witcher 2. Here is some more information if anyone is interested.

http://www.evga.com/witcher/

12. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    My Hawk arrived today :)

13. mf2385

mf2385 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Very nice, mine will be here tommorow, how is it man?

14. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 8800GT G
    Even though the eVGA is better in price, I think you did the best by buying the Hawk.
    It has a couple of advantages:
    - it has active VRM+memorycooling, whilst the eVGA only has VRM cooling or even none
    - the MSI has the better cooler. The GPU stays cooler with the TwinFrozrIII (it has thicker heatpipes)
    - the MSI has a steel "frame" to prevent the card from bending
    - The MSI has an 8+1 PWM design (more stable voltage to the GPU with less ripple), the eVGA has a 4+1 PWM design (i'm not sure if it is 4+1 or 6+1)
    - the MSI has higher clocks than the eVGA

I would personally pay the 60 dollars for this complete card :)

15. willis936

willis936 Member

GPU:
    GTX560Ti 950/1900/2100
    I found this thread in a search because I'm considering picking up a 560Ti in the coming months.

From the points you listed the only one that I could consider important is the power supply modification. Memory cooling is pretty much a non issue. If your GPU is "bending" even after 10 years you didn't install it properly or should opt to spend more than 5 dollars on your case. EVGA stuck it out with the factory board which was a really good call on their part; the 560Ti is absolutely stellar with excellent heat management. I personally don't like the dual fan cards because they are significantly louder and put all the heat into the case. The best cooling solution is the simplest. OC temps on the 560 Ti factory are stellar to begin with. EVGA AR comes with a lifetime warranty (MAKE SURE TO REGISTER) and EVGA has won my loyalty in the past. 3 year warranty on the hawk is fine because honestly you'll rarely have a GPU for more than 4 years though like power supplies longer warranties equates to better build qualities. The 50MHz clock difference is literally negligible. The less expensive choice was definitely the way to go.