Radeon any version movie screen tearing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Valagard, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Ok, I've had this problem since every rendition of the Radeon I've ever owned

X1950, 3870, 5850, 6970

What I am talking about is the -HEAVY- screen tearing when watching movies

Its at the same fixated place all the time, but every time I watch a movie, screen horizontal tearing at the same spot

-----
    |
    -----
    |
    |
    |
    |
    -----

The top and bottom bars is the top and bottom of the video, the bars in the middle is the area where videos are -ALWAYS- tearing

It doesn't matter what I use, youtube, MPC, MPCHC, always the same screen tearing

After years and years its finally gotten on my nerves, I hate to go "But I never nvidia" but I -NEVER- had this problem with multiple Nvidia cards, including the GTX 260 and 460 I owned

Any insight to what is causing this would be appreciated, cause yeah, after years and years this has finally gotten on my nerves to possibly switch out back to nvidia with the next gen cards if this isn't fixable

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  2. silis

silis Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
    Yeah i have screen tearing sometimes too in youtube, but when watching movies i use vlc and put the output to directx, it plays all movies fine with dts sound and all.

3. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    I had this with my Sapphire HD 5450 in my HTPC connected via HDMI, but after fiddling with all settings with 11.3 (I think) it is now gone. Let me have a look later to see all my settings and verify version. I have not dared updating or changing options after I got it fixed.

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Did you find out what settings you used Saibork?

5. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I've had the same issue with both my 4870 and 6950, the solution being CoreAVC with MPC-HC.

It seems, and this is just a qualified guess from countless hours of troubleshooting mind you, that the fault lies with Microsofts codecs that are used by default (and forced in WMP).

The problem seems more or less random but definitely tied to hardware assisted decoding.

If I uninstall all graphics drivers and reboot, and make sure MatroskaSplitter isn't installed, I can view movies in WMP without any tearing - though at very high CPU usage. As soon as I install the graphics drivers the issue appears however.

Using CoreAVC - which means foregoing WMP12 as my player of choice (since it forces Microsofts codecs) - and MPC-HC I have no issues at all.

I'd say it's worth a try, especially since CoreAVC is now only $7.95 (with a rebate code, if anyone wants it). Unfortunately I don't think there's a trial version, though I can't say offhand. Disabling hardware-assisted decoding and trying other codecs in non-WMP players might also be worth trying.

That's my experience anyway, YMMV.

6. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Ok, I found some time for you and made screens of all the settings I have available. Included simple control panel and advanced control panel screens. As it is a HTPC all my game settings are set to the lowest, which you might try to see if the issue solves it for you.

Oh well, here goes :)

Desktop/Flat Panel settings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video settings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advanced video settings version:
    [​IMG]

7. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    And the rest ("only" 15 images allowed per post :p)

Simple 3D Application/game settings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advanced 3D application/game settings:
    [​IMG]

*sorry for the picture spam, but it is easiest to compare in my opinion.

8. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    I had the issue with MPC-HC on different codecs and different settings. But with current MPC-HC, K-Lite codec pack (no ffdshow selections) and 11.2 with the above settings and I am not having issues.

But as I said, I do not dare touch any video related settings now to try, cause I do not want to mess it up again :)

9. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Why not enable V-Sync?

10. AZZiDO

AZZiDO Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
    I have this issue on a radeon hd 5850. Its not present with the 10.5 drivers, only newer ones. Problem is some games don't work with 10.5, so I have to sacrifice accelerated video output in BBC iPlayer, youtube etc. The problem for me seems to be only video playback in flash player as when I play a video in VLC - no tearing.

11. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    VSync is, AFAIK, automatically enforced in Windows/video.

Regardless, whether or not I enable it in the CCC makes no difference for me anyway.

12. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Enable it in MPC-HC.

[​IMG]

13. Valagard

Valagard Guest

How do you enable it?

For me its greyed out

EDIT: FOUND A GUIDE THAT FIXES MY PROBLEMS!!

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/

Apparently I need to use EVR in order to get it to display movies without tearing

I wish renderless version used v-sync, which is odd cause even VRM-9 renderless is still using my GPU

EDIT2: Nope, apon a ton closer inspection, its still doing it, its just the visual tear is a ton less, now its only offset by like 2 pixels instead of 20 pixels

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  14. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Yes, for windows 7 you always want to use "EVR Custom Pres."

[​IMG]

If there is tearing that you can't get rid of by using the regular VSync you can enable "Accurate VSync" and use the Ctrl+Alt+Up and Ctrl+Alt+Down to move the tearing outside the viewable range.
    Tip: Click Ctrl+T to enable Test Mode to see the tearing better.

[​IMG]

15. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Thanks.

I don't really need it with my current solution however.

Ideally I'd want it to work with WMP12, as I actually prefer that over MPC-HC, but nothing I've done seems to fix it.

16. Valagard

Valagard Guest

THAT DID FIX IT!!!

Wow, I have to ask though why default AMD's video renderer is that god damn bad though that I need to do something like this to fix it?

It took -330 with the accurate v-sync to fix it, that's just ridiculous to have that huge a offset required to view videos natively

And again, I only have that problem with AMD cards, never Nvidia

EDIT: The reason I was using VMR-9 Renderless is because EVR takes control away from my for my videocard clocks when viewing videos and sets absurdly low clockspeeds, so I can't game and watch videos at the same time

I think I might still switch to nvidia unless somebody can make a VMR renderless option that doesn't borg my GPU clocks when watching movies

EDIT2: NM, I got accurate vsync to work with VMR-9 renderless by ticking the accurate vsync box in the output options

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  17. AZZiDO

AZZiDO Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
    That sorts it for MPC-HC, but what about flash player? Is there any way to change the default Flash Player codec?

18. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Yeah true, I still got the problems with youtube etc

19. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    can you give example videos where you see screen tearing?

20. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I can't take examples, it doesn't show up in screenshots, and I don't have a camera to take a picture of it as it happens on my monitor

My first post describes the issue well though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.