SLI or not?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by outbreak123, Jul 17, 2011.

1. outbreak123

outbreak123 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr V
    Hi,

I am looking to build a new rig and with about 400$ to spend on video cards. I have some question :

First, should i just buy a more expensive GTX 570 or buy 2x GTX 560 ? (They priced about the same in the nearest store)

Second, will a good 600 PSU power up 2x GTX 560? or maybe get a bigger one? (700w+)

Edit :
    FYI, my new pc will have a 2500k or 2600k, 8 GB RAM. Playing in a 1920x1080 resolution..

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Miniouse

Miniouse Guest

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Personnally I'd go sli (Personally) you do get more power than a few single gpu's up from your cards, though not all games support sli, and you can sometimes create a profile to do so. and yeah a 600watt should do it, but you're better off with a 700 or even a little higher just to be in a safer range (Never wanna run a psu near or close to full load)

But alot of people like going for the single gpu's rather than sli, just to avoid certain obsticles (Though there really isn't as many now as there was a few years ago)

Are you gonna be overclocking? Running one or more monitor? If sli, what kind of cpu are you getting (Possible to bottleneck but assuming you're spending some money, you probably wont)

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    you may also wanna look at your CPU, cause I think you'll hit a bottleneck whichever route you go down.....

4. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I reckon a 700w psu would be more sensible if you were to go 560 SLI. As far as SLI'ing goes, 2-way and 3-way scale pretty well but Quad SLI is just awful with microstutter from time to time (i had 2x 590's in my rig at one point and they weren't half as smooth as my 3x 580's).

6GB of RAM seems to be a good sweet spot and an i7 950 should do the job nicely - at a decent price i might add.

5. outbreak123

outbreak123 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr V
    Thank you for the replies.

As for the CPU, i will get an 2500k or 2600k with 8 GB ram.
    Maybe i will OC a bit but stock is okay for me as long as i can play what i want.
    Right now i'm using my PC to play with a 46" LED TV @ 1920x1080, so that is what my main resolution would be.

Well i have concern that by using SLI not all games will support it and the performance won't be 2x as fast (2x as fast as one 560 GTX), but only around 150-170% faster.. I dont really know because i never use SLI in my life.

Looking forward for more suggestion. :)

6. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Go with a single GPU if at all possible.

The only time I would recommend an SLI setup for gaming is if the latest single-GPU solution wasn't powerful enough to play games at your display's native resolution. And unless that's the case, I probably wouldn't even buy an SLI capable motherboard.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. PCTECHTRONICS

PCTECHTRONICS Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7970 H20
    SLI for sure

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    1920x1080 is a rather easily resolution for a GTX570....and going single card you avoid issues with micro-stutter, which affects all multi-gpu configurations to some extent. You also don't have to worry about potential scaling issues. Also, you're not going to see perfect scaling of SLI in every instance. A full doubling of performance is more wishful thinking than reality in most cases.

i7 950 is more expensive, older and slower than the i5 2500K or i7 2600K....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    you will get really good performance with the 560 sli..can't say that the 570 won't cut it i for one don't have any problems with it in any games i also play at 1920x1080 and with all games i enable AA and other eye candy and they run smooth...and i have a crapy CPU compared to what you will have so your games will be smoother.

I say go with one 570 and in the future get another one if games start to cripple it..but i don't think that will happen anytime soon.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you are talking about 2 560 non ti? I would not get 2 of those, they are basically 2 overclocked 460`s. If you do not need HT, save money and get a 2500k. what resolution do you play at?

11. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I do like my SLI setup, itz powerful but in this case I think I'd go single GPU, I only got my cards cos I got a deal on them 2nd hand

12. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I think the Core 2 Duo will really be holding you back as a previous reply suggested. Personally, I would save some money and just get a single GTX 560 Ti for that rig. Even with one GTX 560 I doubt you will be able to get it to 99% usage with a C2Duo.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Most games do support it. Every now and again you run by a new game that doesn't, but then a profile update is released and then it works. Sometimes games will not include SLI support just because it isn't needed to run the game on high settings (games with low requirements mainly).

15. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i used to have an SLI setup and I never really ever encountered any problems, and I was very happy indeed, but in a way i wish back then i'd got a slightly better single card solution and then SLI'd that somewhere down the line. That way I could have saved some money keeping up with the latest performance levels at minimal cost..

16. outbreak123

outbreak123 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr V
    Yea I'm going to get a non Ti , because 2x Ti priced the same as a GTX 580. A bit out of my budget.

Because I've been reading this forum for quite a while ( 6 years ), I know some people have problems with SLI.. So I tend to like single GPU better, but when I see guru3d VGA benchmark I saw that 2x 560 GTX outperforms GTX 570 by quite a big margin.

I just need need to play most of games with max settings with 2x / 4x AA and have a good fps @ 1920x1080 resolution.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  17. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    2x 560's won't get you that performance. Certainly not for games like Crysis 2 DX11+High res Textures, Metro 2033 @ 1080p maxed out. I would go with a 570 and then later get a 2nd 570.