MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jejking

Jejking New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5770 XXX 1GB
    Mine is seriously bugged since today. All readings are out of the window on my Sapphire 5850 Xtreme, W7 x64, Cat 11.6 and the latest 2.2.0 B4.

Temp is stuck on 24C, GPU usage nil. Fan 179%, Core 2459MHz *Wish that part was true* and memory on 3150 *sounds like sthg for the future? :nerd:*... A bit annoying, let's see if a reinstall fixes the stuff.

Edit: wieeeeeeeeeerd. A reboot was enough already :puke2:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    where can i find Android MSI Afterburner Overclocking App?

3. ciaina

ciaina Guest

GPU:
    MSI480Lightning 2xEVGA480
    Hi there,
    weird problem here, at least to me...not sure is a bug...
    -Fresh install of Win7 64 at SP1, latest nVidia drivers 275, Afterburner 2.20 beta 5:
    I have 3 GTX480 -
    -1 MSI Lightning (750/1500/2000, VID 1.075),
    -2 eVGA reference (stock clocks, 700/1400/1848, VIDs 0.988 and 1.038)

1)First, to check the VIDs I usually click on Reset on AB, or use the
    NVAPITEST, same results. Tell me if I'm wrong, cause 0.988 is a good VID but 1.038 for a reference it seems quite HOT!

I know that enabling TRI SLI will change VIDs but I don't know how, because I get in AB 1.050 -1075 on onthe eVGA ref. and GPU-Z almost the same voltage.
    So I can understand that is raising that much cause I have a NONreference MSI with high voltage in TRI SLI conf.
    This is what i do:
    TRI SLI enabled, from AB I click on Reset on all 3 cards (to obtain default voltages, not SLI bumped ones), I get the VID as they are not SLIing.
    Change the clocks on the 2 eVGA reference to 750/2000 as the MSI (Tested one by one they can overclock at VID, no problem), so I have 3 cards clocked the same but with different voltages, 1.0750, 1.038 and 0.988.
    Great. Save profile 1.
    Apply Overclock at Startup clicked; at startup I will get:

MSI at 700/1400/1848 at 1.0750 (reference clocks :bang: with MSI VID)
    EVGA1-2 at 700/1400/1848 at 1.050 - 1075 :bang:
    So I have to click on Profile 1 as soon as I can to set original VIDS and Overclock on the eVGA-stock clocks on the MSI.
    How can I avoid to apply a Profile everytime I start the system?

Last question, if I save from the let's say MSI tab/page in AB, I'm going to save the whole clock/voltage also for the other cards???
    Synchronize similar GPU DISABLED. Or I have to save from every tab/page in the same profile?

Thanks for your time,
    BR
    Luca

4. Ahimoth

Ahimoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6950
    Bug with Quad Radeon 6950's (not in crossfire)

Bug/Problem:

Running Afterburner 2.2.0 B4 (and some previous versions)
    I have a 4 Radeon 6950's in this rig. If I have them in crossfire mode, I can get Afterburner to run. If I take them out of crossfire mode, Afterburner gives me the failed to initialize wrapper error. GPU-Z does work however, and reports all cards as fine. If I remove any one of the cards, so there are only 3 in the system, Afterburner works fine. As soon as I put the 4th back in, it fails to start. I have wiped the system and reinstalled win7 several times. I have tried catalyst 11.5, 11.6, and 11.7 preview, all with the same result. I know the gpu's are working because I have displays hooked to each card, and can run open CL apps against all the gpu's in the system. It is only afterburner that I know is failing. If I turn on crossfire mode, Afterburner seems to work again.

If there is any more info I can provide in helping you debug this, let me know. I really like your app, and would love to use it (mostly to handle fan speeds since ATI's default fan profile is horrible).

Thanks!

5. Ahimoth

Ahimoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6950
    Update: I just downloaded beta 5 and my quad 6950 (non-crossfire) seems to be working with afterburner. Afterburner starts now, and seems to be reporting temperatures and other stats. I will report back if I have any other issues, but it seems fixed.

6. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Try to uncheck "the synchronize settings...."

And please note, reference GTX 480 uses the NVAPI to control voltage, but GTX 480 Lightning doesnt. The voltage monitoring for GPU-Z is not correct on GTX 480 Lightning.

7. ChuckyDB

ChuckyDB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980TI poseidon
    Hello everyone.

I don't know if this bug has ben seen before.

Games are stuttering with afterburner on, but when it is off, everything is fine.

This bug happens to me with the nvidia drivers 260 and up.

I tried reinstalled the 197.45 and now there is no problem when afterburner is on.

Using the latest drivers would be a big plus for me, so has anyone heard of a fix???

The cards are two gtx 260 with an i7 @ 3,6Ghz, 6gb of DDR3 and 1000W PSU.

Thank you!!!!!

8. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    It's not a bug. Uninstall/Reinstall Afterburner and don't configure it incorrectly.

9. ChuckyDB

ChuckyDB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980TI poseidon
    I've tried reinstalling it, and what do you mean by not incorrectly.
    It works fine on my laptop with an ATI card, but not on both my nvidia desktop, wich was perfectly fine with old patches.

10. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Then I think you only have new patches to blame, not Afterburner.

Please show us your config file:
    C:\Program Files\MSI Afterburner\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

11. ChuckyDB

ChuckyDB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980TI poseidon
    Sorry, I meant drivers, not patches!!!

Gonna have to wait till monday, I'm gone for the weekend.

I've seen on other forum a similar bug, but it was easily resolved by turning off the fan monitoring. I'll try that once I get back.

Thanks!

12. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Unwinder would have fixed some "bug" like this ages ago. GTX 260 has been around a good while. There has to be another reason for your problem. Disabling fan monitoring might do the trick, but it doesn't mean there is a bug in the software (monitoring works fine for the majority of users).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  13. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Not sure if its a bug or not just want to know something, I have a gtx 560 and the memory clock is set to 2100 to get (4200) it gets 2X. I had an 4870 1GB before this both cards uses GDDR5 memory, and the ATI cards memory had to be multiplied 4x (eg 900 x 4 to get 3600). Not sure if Nvidia does it differently to ATI just want to make sure.

Thanks.

14. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    GDDR5 is "quad-pumped" if you will. In your case, actual memory clock is half of what Afterburner displays. "Effective" memory clock is four times the actual memory clock (or twice what AB displays).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  15. ChuckyDB

ChuckyDB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980TI poseidon
    I'll just go to plan B and reformat the whole PC, then well get a better picture of my weird situation.
    I'll report back my results when I'm done!!!

16. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    No sense reformatting the whole PC if disabling fan monitoring is the solution.

17. ChuckyDB

ChuckyDB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980TI poseidon
    Fan monitoring didnt work.
    My gpus are starting to act weirdly too, I guess they are the problem, but Ill make sure it aint software related by reinstalling evering clean on that old hdd I found in my closet...
    Cant hurt...

18. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    Is this only when you are showing the OSD? If so, try changing Vector2D/3D to Raster3D.

As has been said, AMD shows the actual memory speed, and so you would need to multiply it by four to get the actual speed. nVidia shows double the effective rate such that you would not think the VRAM on the new cards is slower than the older GDDR3 cards. (Since nVidia kept GDDR3 for a longer time than AMD.)

19. ChuckyDB

ChuckyDB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980TI poseidon
    No I'm not using it.

I turned off all monitoring in afterburner, and now the stutter is gone. Weird!!!

Ho well, overclocking is what I needed in the first place, so I guess I'm good....

THANKS 4 THE HELP EVERYONE

20. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    Well, it uses system resources to monitor...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.