Custom computer builder....Terrible experinece.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Oh wow.. How close are you to Seattle? I was a computer technician for 6 months at computer sonics. :/ Maybe i can help?? I have seen raid 5 crap out like that too. A customer had a server with 3 750gb wd drives and two failed somehow. The os would not boot but i managed to copy all the data over using dos from the install dvd. :p

I dont know why you chose to use raid with 3 hard drives. I think it would be more beneficial to raid two drives in 0 and have one of the 640's as a backup. And wd is really easy on their rma process. The new wd's black drives have 5 year warranty.

2. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    First of all, I'd like to say sorry to see that you've been noob'ed around alot... :(

Go on Western Digital's official website and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for your drive model.

Also, Intel Matrix Storage is seriously outdated. It's called Intel Rapid Storage Technology now. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20215&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

Since you have the Ultimate edition of Windows 7 you also might want to consider the software mirroring feature that it has. After converting from basic disk to dynamic disk, Disk Management (type dskmgmt.msc in the search box of Windows Start Menu) will allow you to add a mirror after you right click on a volume. This is also known as "software RAID 1" and can protect your critical data against the risk of a harddisk failure (but not against user errors / viruses / hackers / software errors etcetera of course).

If only one disk fails in a RAID 0 array you'll still lose all data stored on the entire array. But even if you don't use RAID 0 if one disk fails then the data on the disk that failed will still be lost anyway also, obviously. So basically, Windows 7 software mirroring can run on top of a normal RAID 0 array without any trouble, or on a single disk, or even on one or more out of several logical volumes that you can decide to create on a RAID array or disk.

Because it can take a while to rebuild a RAID array after something happens to it, I usually advise people to limit the data capacity of the array, to not suffer more than necessary downtime. Furthermore, data which can always be backed up immediately does not necessarily have to be also mirrored (so technically, you could not only short stroke your RAID 0 array but at the same time also mirror only a limited portion of your short stroked RAID 0 array, by splitting up the RAID 0 volume into two separate volumes and then choosing to mirror only one of both volumes). But please also keep in mind the fact backups can still be lost as a result of events other than disk failure (just like any other data can), so it still makes sense to have more than one backup copy nevertheless.

3. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Could I get one big HD and install W7 on that one , and then re-install W7 on the other 3 ( when the bad one gets replaced ) so I can have two complete installs on here in case this ever happens again? could I use the 3 - 640's as my main bootup and the single big one as a storage and back up?

I kind of had it out with the guy last night. Which puts me in a slight jam , because he has the Windows 7 software. He brought me a new 16gb flash drive ( which I paid for to ) and it was supposed to have the full version on it......it doesn't have anything! This gets better by the day.

Moose....I may take you up on your offer. I have to see how my weekend plans out with work and all. Moose....check your PM please.

And thanks to all you guys for trying to help me out. It appreciated more than you know. Hopefully soon , I can learn all the basics and get this stuff done by myself. It would be nice to sit down with someone while they are putting this thing together OR have me put it together in front of them with some guidance.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G

5. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yes, you can have two separate installations of Windows 7 on a single computer but IMO it would be rather pointless because instead you can just create an image of your system partition, using the boot CD of Acronis True Image Home 2011.

Keep an extra copy of the image file(s) in a safe spot, away from viruses and hackers (write protected but not just using the write protect file attribute of course, because file attributes can still easily be modified without your awareness).

The restore procedure is actually quite surprisingly fast, too.

If you also get the Plus pack, you will be able to restore Windows onto dissimilar hardware (for example if you've upgraded your motherboard or even after you've moved to a whole new computer).

6. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hey Jeff,

I dont think it's work installing w7 three times. I've been using the same install on 1 hard drive for years and not a problem. The issue with raid is the failure rate increases dramatically. I ran a raid 0 setup for around 6 months till I sold off two of my hdd's and never a problem with it. I still think raid 0 with 2 drives and one 640 as backup is best.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    No W7 disc? (Powerful slap to the face).

JEFF, you definately need to sort that out asap. Are you using legit W7? If so, GET THE DISC OFF HIM ASAP!!!

8. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Sounds like you have a technet key. Do you even have a COA(Sticker with your windows key to prove it is legit)?
    Sounds like you are having some bad issues with a true hack. I hope you get it sorted out.

9. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    I don't have a key for the windows. But I have made up my mind that I'm just going to go buy my own copy of W7 ultimate 64 on my own dime. He had it installed on my new rig , but I didn't have it running long enough to even figure out how the damn thing works.

Moose....I think you are right. I'm looking at picking up a 1.5 or 2tb WD Cav black HD. Since I have 3 640's sitting in this lump of sh!t sitting next to me , I'm trying to figure out how to take advantage of using them. I'm not sure what raid configuration it is , but I'd like to mirror maybe two 640's to the one big drive. That way , if one 640 eats crap , i'll be good because of the big back up drive.

Anyone know where to find a good deal on W7 Ultimate 64? And is there that much difference between the 32bit version? Looks like about $275.00 at newegg.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Definately go retail version if you can afford it so you got both 64 and 32bit versions. But, due to memory you have, you could just go with 64bit version.

I left 32bit behind for 6months? now, works fine tbh.

11. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    JEFF I know you probably seen and heard enough already about how this guy boned you but since I have an external waterbox like you I thought I would share a pic of mine for inspiration.

[​IMG]

It isn't perfect, but I did it in a couple of hours, and I don't put PCs together on a regular basis. This is the 3rd I put together for myself in about 10-15 years.

I noticed you said something about a blog on a rebuild on this. If you go through with that I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck!

EDIT also on your last question. I would definitely recommend going Win 7 64bit. I haven't used a 32 OS since Vista released and haven't had a single issue. Unless you run some old apps with compatibility problems, then 64 bit is the way to go. Though why do you want an Ultimate version? Is there something you need that makes the mark up worth the price over a home premium or professional edition?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  12. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970

Raid0 combines the two drives for speed. It has a higher failure rate, but is still worth it in my opinion. Raid 1 mirrors the two drives together for redundancy. You can warranty your bad hard drive from wd on this link.
    http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en

If you dont know how to tell which drive is bad you can download seatools. Burn it to a cd using imgburn and boot it up. It gives you the option to scan your drives using slow/fast tests and will let you know if they have bad blocks.

Seatools: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

imgburn: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ImgBurn/1128426215/1

13. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Just get 64bit OEM. No need for 32bit nowadays. Also, There is really no need for Ultimate. Home Premium or Pro(I would choose this if you have the money) is all you really need.

14. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would stick with oem pro 64 bit.

Remember home premium limits you to 16gb ram, pro limits you to 192gb. :p
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Windows 7 pro also has better features, that most people don't use. :) I do agree that w7 ultimate is a waste of money. What do you get over pro, just more language packs right?

15. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

16. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Man....that thing is beautiful! That's kind of like what I had in mind for my build , but from my pictures , you can see....it didn't happen.

Also.....here comes another weird question. On the W7 ultimate , I thought that was the 64 bit version , and I "thought" the home edition was like 32 bit. The professional version.....I didn't know there was one. Obviously they are probably cheaper to I'm hoping.

17. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yep Professional version is cheaper than ultimate. It has a couple less features, but most people dont need what ultimate has to offer. Windows 7 starter is the only version with just the 32 bit software. All other w7 versions have a 32 and 64 bit version.

18. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
  19. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    That one would be perfect Jeff. The only different is the bigger box and manuals. :)

20. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Really?...man , that's an expensive box!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.