PC goes off for a few seconds when turning on for the 1st time, then turning back on.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kanej2007, Jul 12, 2011.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Hey gurus, I have a strange problem and was unable to post it fully in the forum title...

Basically my 2 week old brand new built pc is doing something strange that I've never come across before...

It's only recently started doing this a few days back and continues to do so.

Once my pc has been switched on for the first time, say after work, after a few seconds it will completely go off for a few seconds, turn back on by itself and boot up as normal....

Is this normal or is something wrong? Why is it doing this?

Thanks guys.

2. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Sometimes this means the BIOS detect a problem with your overclock and it powers down and loads fail-safe defaults make sure your memory setting and clock settings are stable for POST your POST behavior should be the same at stock as overclocked

3. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Hmm, my old p45 gigabyte board does this when the power to the psu has been off/unplugged, i know its normal because i looked it up when i got the board, maybe Asus boards do the same now?

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Sounds like what brendruis said, usually an issue with the BIOS, in otherwords, it may not like the overclock you have.

Gigabyte boards do this when you first boot with an overclock to test stability before POST.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB

Possibly but it never did this before and the overclock is stable as I put it through a few stress tests and it passed...

How can I tell 100% what it is? If it doesn't like the overclock but is stable is there any danger it could cause any harm?

6. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Well does it do it without the overclock? Should be simple to test.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Ok I've just put everything in the bios to defaults. Shut down pc for a few minutes, turned it back on, still the same.

It will turn off for a few seconds and then turn back on and boot as normal...

Would you suggest a bios update? If not what could be the cause?

8. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    You could try it but i wouldn't bet on it fixing it since the problem came after you used it for a bit. Honestly have no idea if it would hurt your hardware but i wouldn't think so.

9. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    I have seen this in many new Asus boards, it is a normal function, I can't remember exactly what it relates to, but it is normal! (or at least all the boards I have seen it on function normally)

I think its related to initial RAM timing detection from BIOS and/or power detection.

PS: I build a few custom systems a week at work, with ASUS boards:nerd:

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, strange! I've had many Asus boards over the years and this is the first time I see this strange but funny problem....

As I said before it cannot be an issue with overclocking since it never done so before even when overclocked.

I've stress tested my system several times with intel burn test and prime 95 and never have they crashed neither did I bsod....

Guess it's nothing to worry about then...

Oh yeah, another funny bug. Everytime I turn my pc on I get this message ''no hard drive detected in the bios'' lol.....

When I boot into windows everything works fine, both hard drives show up and both work yet the bios claims there is no hd detected....

Annoyingly strange issues...

11. Macar

Macar Member Guru

GPU:
    580 GTX
    Regarding the double boot, that its normal on asus boards after powering them down AND cutting the power to them (unplug or turning off the power supply). It bothered me too some time ago and after some research i found that it's an standard check from asus after power loss.

Regarding the "no hard drive" issue, could it be tha you have the usual onboard marvell or whatever disck controler enabled in bios but no hdd attached to it? again if thats the case no problem as actually you dont have any hdd at that controller, it's simply telling you so.

Regards.

12. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    My asus board does the same but only on 2 conditions:
    cpu is overclocked
    power cable was unplugged

13. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    It sounds like it might be referring to no IDE devices detected, you probably have all SATA drives (I hope!)

14. HisSvt2

HisSvt2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 X2 Crossfire
    I've seen this as normal whenever any oc is in place on a asus board it is normal.

15. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I get this with my asus board (spec on the side).

But this only happens to me when ive unplugged the power supply, whether OC'd or not.

It is funny like that ive built a fair few computers that do it once the power is unplugged.

Never seen it do it everytime you shutdown.

16. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    sounds like a short on the board

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    do you turn off the main switch on the extension socket when you turn off your pc?

If yea then this is your problem, i know at least two people who did that and had this symptom.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Nope. I used to with my old amd system which also had an Asus board...

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Problem solved guys, and it was strange how it worked.

All I did was slightly increase the cpu fan speed, I thought it may help and after increasing it, the pc would boot up first time.

Tried this 3 times and it started first time each time I tried...

Strangely the bios temps report differently than hw monitor, a big difference too...

HW monitor reports 38/39 idle temps but in bios it reads 56 celcius idle, how do I know which one to believe?

I need to use another program in windows such as HW monitor that is more accurate.

Someone mentioned this a while back but I forgot.

Could someone please give me a name of a program other than hwmonitor or everest which is more or less accurate?

Thanks

20. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    You could try realtemp, i think it's meant to be accurate but i get the same results in it as HWMonitor. Both are reporting my idle temps as min 22 max 33 over my 4 cores. o.o