DX11 and DX10 Vsync Bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RavenMaster, Jul 4, 2011.

1. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    So i got a new monitor the other day (Samsung SA950) which is capable of 120hz over DVI-D or Displayport Connection at 1920x1080.

I'm using DVI-D and set to 120hz but when i play a DX11 or a DX10 game with Vsync enabled, my monitor gets thrown into 50hz or 60hz mode.

Example: Crysis 2 using DX11 mode and Vsync enabled my monitor got locked at 50hz. I switched off DX11 mode and ran the game in DX9 with Vsync enabled and whaddya know, it went straight back up to 120hz.

I decided to try a DX10 game (Cryostasis) and the same thing occurred. With DX10 mode, my monitor was locked to 60hz. When i ran the game in DX9 mode i was able to do 120hz with Vsync on.

I tried using the latest beta driver and some older WHQL drivers but the problem exists on all of those. I'm pretty sure this is an nvidia driver bug. Does anyone have a work-around?

2. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    Is there a setting for the refresh rate in game?

3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Only Vsync on or off.

4. Guz

Guz Active Member

GPU:
    680gtx sli
    Yeah, plus you get massive ugly screen tearing with vsync using SLI. Single card mode is fine. You can try to force 120hz refresh rate, google direct refresh proggie and use that. You can also try starting the game in windowed mode, then when you're on the screen with the eye thing toggle back to fullscreen mode; this fixed the 24hz bug (hdtvs got stuck @24hz instead of the normal 60hz) for some people.

In my case, I get the best fps in SLI with vsync off and windowed mode. I guess I can live with some tearing but great fps (60-80fps) and feels perfectly fluid.

5. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Not in the menu, but apparently there needs to be.. Someone at nvidia forums posted this same issue. With Crysis 2 his 120Hz monitor is only running at 60Hz.

Edit: and now looking at mine, it appears to be the same.. 75Hz monitor is only running at 60Hz.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Same thing here. Annoying as hell. In older drivers 75hz custom resolution replaced the 60hz 1080p resolution and I did not have that problem but it doesn't work like that any more.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, this "bug" only affects people using monitors with a refresh rate above 60hz...???

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Those with 60Hz max monitors may end up getting 24Hz or 50Hz (or something else).

9. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    I know what you mean, because I've seen other people annoyed by it too. Hopefully NVIDIA will make it possible to replace resolutions again like it used to be in pre-275 series drivers. Although if developers would have added the refresh rate in the game this might not be necessary.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah. Also, one really annoying thing is lack of triple buffering setting in games. For example Crysis 2 and 1 has triple buffering in DX9 mode enabled by default but surprise, surprise not in DX11 or DX10 any more.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Mine worked fine at 60hz...and now 50hz, which is the refresh rate I have set in NvCP

12. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Agreed. Support for triple buffering should be a no-brainer.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It may or may not happen. It really depends.

14. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    In the NV control panel, I disabled scaling and created a custom resolution @ 75Hz. Applied it in-game and it worked. With vsync my FPS is capped at 75 instead of 60. Now why doesn't the game just use my native resolution with 75 Hz is what I'd like to know..

15. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Found another trick,

I start the game, apply custom resolution (the one I made @ 75 Hz), and exit the game. Then I restart the game and select native resolution and now it's @ 75 Hz.

Edit- triple buffered too it seems.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

16. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Yes finally i thought i was alone!.
    It noticed this also when i first installed the 275.xx driver. I have the Asus VG236H 120Hz.

Issue's with games with V-Sync Enabled (T-buff).

WoW DX11=60hz.
    Crysis\Warhead DX10 = 50hz
    Crysis 2 DX11 = 60hz

and sometimes games read my refreshrate totally wrong and i end up with 110hz or 90hz .. its weird.

17. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    In my case, the workaround I have posted for Crysis 2 works every time. I don't know if it works for other games that refuse to use your preferred refresh rate, but it's possible.

18. Guz

Guz Active Member

GPU:
    680gtx sli
    Good for you rewt. But people who have 120hz monitors cannot do the same. I tried your suggestion but the CP would not let me create a custom res./refresh rate because it already exists. :(

19. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Then create a custom resolution that doesn't exist and make it good for you too :p

Like 1280 x 961 @ 120 Hz or whatever...

20. Guz

Guz Active Member

GPU:
    680gtx sli
    What about the tearing with SLI enabled and vsync on? I'm using an alienware monitor and it is definetly an issue. Does it happen in your Asus too?