Crysis 2 DX11 Performance Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Russ369, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Who invited the forum moron?

Back to thread, knock tessellation factor back to 16x in amd drivers and performance is good. Neogaf reckons there's a bug in current drivers that forces 64x at default, which is WAY too high and causes distortion on some surfaces.

2. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Who's Neogaf?

By the way, I have knocked down to even 8x and 4x and it made NO DIFFERENCE at all, I think it may be bugged?

3. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    6990 4GB Triple Eyefinity
    There's something strange with Crysis 2 on DX11.

When I start the game, I have low FPS & 60-70 % GPU usage on both GPUs.

But if I change ANY advanced gfx setting, even on HIGHER setting, I have sudden 50-70 % fps improve.

Other odd thing:
    On startup r_postmsaa is 1 or 2, depends on settings.
    If I disable AA from console, with r_postmsaa 0 and re-enable with 1 AA quality seems to degrade - it does not go back to "startup" state.
    Also fps seems to stay a bit higher after changing 1 to 0 and back to 1.

It does not make much sense to me.

EDIT: I checked my autoexec.cfg. Found no variables that can be reset by changing gfx option in-game, had an idea that this could explain this behavior but its not the case.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. slipey

slipey Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 (+135/+490)
    I've noticed this behavior as well. Once I make an advanced gfx change, the GPU usage on both cards increases to 85%+ and I get more FPS.

5. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I think we need a new driver or game patch..

There's so many bugs like the one you guys are talking about.

6. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    Even enabling/disabling motion blur in adv. gfx option works this way.
    It's ridiculous.
    Did they even test the game on different GFX cards ?

7. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    Now it's getting even more interesting. Changing ANY adv. gfx option f*** up Antialiasing.
    Two screens.
    Before.

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Focus on the windows in the background building. In-game difference is much more noticeable, when I change view direction moving white stripes appear on windows frames, it's like AA for distant object stops working.

All I did was start the game, make screenshot, then enable AND disable motion blur so the settings should theoretically stay the same.

Console AA variables don't change.

Visuals do.

It's an epic mess.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  8. DEATHxxHIPPIE

DEATHxxHIPPIE Guest

GPU:
    2 5850's
    By default i think the r_multigpu is at 0 which means that it checks it, and with radeonpro running, i get equal use of my cards, it just isn't up where it should be, especially in the spots where's it's in the 30's, looks like the cards are utilized at like 40% or so there.

9. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    ati is bad in extreme tesselation because ati is noob for making a dedicated hardware for no performance impact wether tesselation is enabled or not, as long as its not bottlenecking.
    Nvidia is good because they have nvidia logo on crysis 2 and because nvidia supports heavy tesselation, even though its using its own freaking shaders to do so, but its good because the card is green :)

PS: BTW i was beying sarcastic.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. Khronis

Khronis Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 x2
    Got it running fine on my system now at Ultra, just had to reduce the tessellation through Catalyst Control Center to 8x or 16x, makes some tessellated things look a bit odd but at least my fps doesn't completely crash.

11. TiaMaster

TiaMaster Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6870s OCed
    Just to clarify, you can enable the highest quality AA using "UseEdgeAA = 3", and "r_PostMSAA = 2". This is not the default for C2, so play with the settings yourself for preference.

With the new patch, if MSAA is currently ON, you will get halved crossfire performance.

To check, watch X-Fire performance in game and toggle AA on and off with "r_PostMSAA = 0/1" (you can use "2" also).

Your cards will go from full scaling, to suddenly exactly 50%, like they are being limited for some reason. We shouldn't be LOSING performance right when its needed.

The funny thing is, even if you completely disabled AA in the game config (UseEdgeAA = 0, r_PostMSAA = 0), then forced it with drivers (RadeonPro), it STILL halves Crossfire performance.

EDIT: Forgot to say that this happens only when sys_spec_PostProcessing is at 4.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  12. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    I believe you are the first to post something useful and to fix crossfire performance. I will test this at once and see if it fixes it for me too. I can always enable MLAA to compensate lack of AA. As far as I can tell, PostMSAA gives pretty bad results anyways. Very far from 4x MSAA.

At the moment only 5870 CFX seem to have decent performance.

13. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    GPU usage is higher without postMSAA but there is no FPS gain for me.

Putting object to a lesser level does make a huge difference in FPS but not much in IQ. Unless, once you put it to high you need to restart to get it back up. :bang:

14. The Monkey Frog

The Monkey Frog Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 9600GT 512MB
    If they would get POM working on dx9...(Like it does in crysis 1) and in their tech demos then I would be very happy because that seems like it is the most apparent effect...Tessellation doesn't really serve much purpose in this game :(

15. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    Nice try, but if I change with ANY gfx setting or MSAA variable, Antialiasing quality degrades permanently, until I quit & start the game again,
    even if I reset the variables to starting values.

---

EDIT: Update - as I found later you can restore AA quality after playing with game settings by setting the

r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterN to 1

But it causes massive drop in CFX scaling & FPS drop.

---
    It's very easy to see if you have any thin metal bars or something like that in front of you in medium to long range.

So be careful in trying to make any logical deduction to find "cause and effect" relation between gfx setting and performance (fps) or scaling,
    because of this odd behavior you can never be sure if it was the variable you just changed that made fps rise,
    or the buggy game turned off something else that you did not touch at all.

I'm absolutely amazed how cursed this game is, they fixed the major bug (flickering on multi GPU with AA on) after 9 updates,
    and made whole bunch of another bugs. Seems like game code is coming apart, I don't believe they will ever fix it completely.

16. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    Just found which variable cures low Crossfire scaling on my system.

Try setting

r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 2

if it's set to anything else (0,1) with enabled AA (r_MSAA =1 or more) GPU usage drops to 70-75 % on my rig.
    Setting it back to 2 does magic BUT lowers AA quality.

There is still IQ difference between AA on and OFF so there is some AA left.

I don't really know what this variable does, I guess this is some leftover from Nvidia optimization in Crytek.

17. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Pretty sure it is a placebo effect. Without screens with GPU usage overlay and FPS. It didn't happened.

18. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    And I'm sure, that you're paranoid.

The screenshots:

NO AA
    r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV 2
    r_PostMSAA 0
    just for reference - image quality

[​IMG]

AA enabled
    r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV 2
    r_PostMSAA 1
    As you can see low quality AA is applied, performance loss is acceptable.

[​IMG]

AA enabled
    r_PostMSAA 1
    Changed r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV to 1 !
    Blurred, antialiased IQ, massive fps loss and low GPU usage

[​IMG]

AA enabled
    r_PostMSAA 1
    Changed r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV to 0 !
    Same fps loss and low GPU usage, like above, but lower IQ, less AA

[​IMG]

Need more proof ?

19. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Someone need to learn how to post thumbnails of mega-wide screen-shots linking to the full-sized ones.

This **** is now unreadable. Thanks!

20. Just

Just Guest

GPU:
    Done.