AMD ignores poor 6000 series scaling in bfbc2, says it's developer problem.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by DevilsNight, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DevilsNight

DevilsNight Member

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800nu 16/6
    Dear x,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[+has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...re,2878-9.html

We know from the benchmarks that Crossfire and the 6000 series indeed works in Battlefield Bad Company 2.+

This suggests on the development side that Crossfire does indeed function.+

I would try the single player campaign to see if Crossfire has performance boost.+++ Multiplayer maps may not implement dual GPU cards as some have suggested.+ This would fall back to the developer to correct in an updated patch for the game.

There are indeed posts for both manufactures regarding SLI and Crossfire support for this particular game.+ This is generally problematic when console games are ported into PC games, and not the other way around.

If the single player campaign fails to gain any performance in Crossfire this would suggest that breakdown is occurring from the application to the operating system since this is the only game that is not providing any performance boost.+

Trouble shooting the application would be needed in this case.+

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Why do you think AMD are the right people to address this?

3. DevilsNight

DevilsNight Member

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800nu 16/6
    Because its something that can be fixed in a driver?

anytime a game has negative scaling they release a driver after figuring out the issue. This tech support guy doesnt even listen to me, he posts single player benchmarks showing scaling isnt an issue.

There are many reports of people not utilizing their cards past 40-50% on each card in crossfire. This is especially an issue for those who have a 6990.

The 5000 series scale perfectly and are utilized at 100% each card, but the 6000 series have problems. Am I wrong for wanting better performance from a product I paid money for?

1 card performs better than 2.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Does multi player use a different game engine?

5. DevilsNight

DevilsNight Member

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800nu 16/6
    nope. Thats why im puzzled. And the tech support uses tomshardware

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've not read any number of reports in the past of multi gpu issues with BC2. One place where it would have spring up several times would have been the EA forums which is, from what I can see, largely absent.

Edit:
    Watch the youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebWgq2dienc
    8xAA
    Rush Mode
    Over 100 FPS
    Video less then 2 weeks old

Again, I've not read any multiple reports of CF issues with this game. The video shows 6970 CF in BC2. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There is no reason, from the information presented, to suspect the driver is the problem unless the game developers have said it is.
    As AMD pointed out, Crossfire is supported and working on that game engine.

Have you asked the developers or their agents what the problem is caused by?

8. DevilsNight

DevilsNight Member

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800nu 16/6
  9. DevilsNight

DevilsNight Member

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800nu 16/6
    How can I reach the developers I wouldn't mind contacting them, just to see if they are aware of the poor scaling and are working on it?

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Put in a tech support request.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If you are someone you know is having a problem contact the developers of the game and see if they have a solution for you. If AMD gets the impression it's working, and so far from what I can see it is then perhaps the developers can key you in on some sort of tweak or offer you some help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3kAzI0iIN0

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Maybe its a hardware issue. Or perhaps it has something to do with that AMD 2500+ you have in your system.

Update your specs so we can see what type of system you have.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  15. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Great scaling for me. 60+ all the time. Vsync on. Latest Driver and caps.

Not a problem on my end anyway.

16. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I get excellent scaling with two 6950's. The problem isn't with AMD or the game developer. The issue is with the end-user's hardware/software configuration.

17. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    How dare you insult the great minds that roam these halls! PC problems are never related to the user.... oh wait. :puke2:

18. Brebaz

Brebaz Member

GPU:
    2x6870
    I've been playing BFBC2 for more than 40+ hours with 6870 CFX and my FPS never drops below 60 (Vsync is On) never really had a problem with it. Everything At MAX 8xMSAA-16xAF @1680*1050

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The game engine doesn't have to differ for multi-gpu support to be turned on and off. It could easily be done by passing a variable to the graphics engine that instructs multi-gpu support to be enabled/disabled based on single player/multiplayer option being selected.

Not exactly sure what your point is about them referencing Toms Hardware as they are a trusted site for most chip and hardware makers/vendors, much like this one is. So what if THG regularly copies news articles from Engadget, Xbit and Anandtech...they actually do perform their own hardware reviews and in the last several years have become less biased....though, they do still have 1 "journalist" that's a hardcore Apple fanboy. THG also interacts directly with AMD and nVidia when they run across a problem with driver/game combos.

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    So far i have not seen any particular problem .. outside some peoples who had problem with their CFX setup ... but where's there something as CFX don't work on multiplayer maps ? .

Now is scaling can be better ? maybe ... personally with 100-140fps average ( depend the map, if it's vietnam or the old ).. well.. i will not complain.

About Toms hardware review.. in the first post
    I know there's 2 routine benchmark for BC2... Waterfall + an other.. (single player ) ... One give strange result for AMD cards . and a lot lower of what you will get during normal playing and multiplayer party.

If you look reviews with 8xAA and 16xAF, whatever is it , the 580 don't put 20fps faster of the 6970... its stay between 7-10fps ... depending the reviews ( it's allready a lot considering there's nothing special on the BC2 graphics engine ) maybe due to HBAO... I really don't know how TomsHardware have test this.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011