New gaming machine not performing well

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vultusprime, Jun 29, 2011.

1. vultusprime

vultusprime Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    I've just got a new PC, specs:

Intel i5, 2500K 3.3Ghz
    Asus P8P67
    Asus GTX570
    8GB DDR3 ram
    Seagate Barracuda 1T x2
    Win7 Pro, 64Bit
    750W

The system is for games mainly, but I'm not quite satisfied with it. I have already installed 2 games ( Arma2, Prototype) and they are both stuttering, not smooth. It feels like a bottleneck somewhere. I've tried lowering the settings but there's only a small improvement. I was more than sure that with my new cpu+vga I could play any game at high settings without a glitch.

There must be a problem somewhere.

My GTX570 is at:

742Mhz - Memory 3800Mhz - Vcore 0.976v - processor 1484 Mhz

This is a gaming system, if games don't run well then what?

Does anyone have any idea, I am quite disappointed about this.:cry::cry:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    What are you running your cpu at? My system isn't far off that and i get no stutter in any game i have tested.

3. Pinocchio

Pinocchio Member Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770
    I would run 3DMark11/Vantage and compare scores with other users around here.

During benchmarking run http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
    to check cpu and gpu temps.

Then lets see if your problem is stuttering only or if your whole system is running slow.

4. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

With those specs you shouldn't have any stuttering in games. Things to check:

Temps (Makie sure nothing is throttling)
    BIOS Updates
    Chipset Drivers
    Video Driver
    Audio Driver
    Some suggest disabling NVIDIA HD Audio (I've never had an issue with it)
    NVIDIA Power Management settings
    Windows System Power Management settings (Try MAX Performance)
    Monitor your DPC latency (http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe)

Report back and update please.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    What drivers are you using and are you using a legal copy of Windows?

deltatux

6. vultusprime

vultusprime Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    my cpu is as said before at 3.3Ghz

is the basic/free edition ok?

my current drivers is:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. Pinocchio

Pinocchio Member Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770
    Yes, free edition will give you a score for the default settings of 3DMark.
    I dont remember what resolution that is, keep note of that.

8. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Does it stutter anywhere else or only in games?

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Make sure your ram is plugged in the right slots, it may not be running in dual channel mode.

10. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    My guess would be to re-seat everything, all power connections, graphics card, ram, etc.

Re-install all drivers.

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Run some game and monitor gpu, cpu and ram usage (rivatuner, etc) and post results.

Might be powersaving feature or other problem. And btw, vsync off.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Would be a good idea to use MSI Afterburner's OSD showing GPU and Memory clocks... If the card is dropping back to 2D clocks, that would be the only way to actually see it happen.

An answer to this question would be nice though....

13. vultusprime

vultusprime Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    I've run PCMark7 basic and got a score of 3377
    http://3dmark.com/pcm7/93166;jsessi...pcm7/93166?key=wNjv0sdsa7CVSSVYn4t4XaSzVMtqjw

3DMark11 basic gave me a low score of P4932.
    http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1448588?show_ads=true&page=/3dm11/1448588?key=pcfFBQ0R23R8WWf0wsyvSX6JsJhzuD

From their site it says that it is low for my hardware, I ran their health check and this is the result:
    http://3dmark.com/healthcheck/3dm11/1448588

From my windows WEI this is what i get:

Processor 7.5
    Memory 7.6
    Graphic 7.7
    Games 7.7 (I heard that this should be higher)
    H.D 5.9

As stated before my cpu runs at 3.3Ghz but when I run CPU-Z it gives me this:
    Core 1605.2Mhz
    Multiplier x16.0
    Bus 100.3Mhz

For all 4 cores. It seems that the pc is keeping the cpu low, but when I fire up a game I saw the numbers going up to 3600Mhz.
    Do you think this could be relevant? How do i stop it from doing that anyway?

My memory is 2 sticks of 4G each, installed in slots 2 - 4 (I don't know why not in 1 - 3).

As far as bios and chipset, I don't know if the drivers are new and don't really like the idea of playing around with those

How to change the nvidia power management settings?

Well, it's a new system and don't have much inside, except for office and firefox which ran fine. The only "Big" software are the 2 games (Arma2 and prototype). When I ran the benchmarks there was no stuttering or slow downs

Drivers 8.17.12.6309
    I want to update them but not sure which ones. The 8.17.12.7533 seem to be the latest approved drivers, but some people have had problems with them. What about the 275.33 (by the way, why do they look so different in numbers?) they are very new, less than a month ago maybe they are still the beta version??

As Far as Win7, it's a copy. I have moved to Taiwan from England over 10 years ago and here they do things differently. Only companies buy original OS, home users simply get a free copy of it with a new PC, they simply ask you what you want and they put it in. But how can that be an issue, otherwise most of people in Taiwan, China and many other places would not be able to run their pc well. That would be millions and millions of people.

I did not run (as yet) the benchmark with temp monitor software.

So it seems that I have the right hardware but it's not working as it should, on the net I saw the gtx570 sometimes have technical issues, is it true?

One last thing, I run my games at a 1280x768 resolution (I have a 17" monitor)

14. vultusprime

vultusprime Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    I turned V-sync off and had some improvement in performance. I did the 3dmark11 test again and got a score of P5042, which still seems to be too low for my hardware

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Arma2 isn't a good way to gauge system performance, it runs like crap on many PC's...try using a different game if you can.

16. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    You cannot trust 3Dmarks health status indicator. Any machine that's is not overclocked gets the notice that it's not running optimal, and that's just total bs. So don't trust it !.

Also your 3Dmark11 score is actually within the normal range. With a testrig of core i5 2500K running stock and a single GTX580 stock clocks I got around 5600-5700points.

17. vultusprime

vultusprime Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    yes but 5050 is a far cry from 5600-5700. It seems that I'm about 600/700 point shorter. But the point is that it's not just a question of numbers, I can feel the pc not performing well while playing, it should go through games like a killing machine but it doesn't.

The only thing to do is change video drivers, and maybe if necessary change bios and mobo drivers too. Beyond that I am at a loss as to what I can do. I have little faith in fixing the problem only by changing drivers, maybe it'll give me some more points, but not 700!!. Unless they are magic drivers.

I believe there something else wrong with the computer, just don't know what.

18. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    You shouldn't be afraid to update your drivers. Most likely this will give you a boost in performance because your probably running out dated drivers that's not giving you optimal performance.

You'd be surprised how much updated drivers will help out your system.

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    So basically it's a pirated copy is what you're saying right? If so, we can't guarantee that the system doesn't have extra files that may affect performance within the cracks used to bypass WGA.

We are not allowed to assist or help people circumvent or use pirated software here on Guru3D, it's basically a "use at your own risk" thing here.

deltatux

20. vultusprime

vultusprime Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    No, not basically, that's exactly what it is.

Er... Good for you! I'm sure that the lawyers at Microsoft are going to be delighted at your company-propaganda-line and to know that you are such an outstanding citizen who always looks both ways before crossing the road.

But the truth is that you care even less than I do about copyright laws, you simply want to protect you ass. This is not a moral stance, it's just fear of being caught.

I could say the same thing about this forum "Enter at you own risk, and be judged accordingly"

Grow up little boy.

VULTUSPRIME