AMD Catalyst 11.5 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FathomX

FathomX Member

GPU:
    4870x2 + 4870 (1GB)
    Yeah,
    I have testing more with Catalyst 11.5, and cannot use Trifire in BFBC2 without crashing. I MUST disable crossfirex or I will BSOD, or CTD everytime after a matter of minutes. In other games however it works just fine, no issues.

So long OCZ 700watt... you will not be forgotten, but utilized in another build.
    I was thinking that the low framerates were due to my power supply being too low, and that was indeed part of the problem. I ordered a new 1000watt with pretty decent amperage rates on 4 rails, and partial modular.. Installed yesterday and tested to see if that could be the problem. The frame rates went up with a huge noticeable increase (without changing anything) my video cards were being starved for power.

Drivers are still slow, but the game is MUCH smoother even with only the 4870x2 being utilized in BFBC2. After testing, I also turned down AA, AF, and some other options, which did make a difference.

I believe you are correct when you say my CPU could be another case I need to look into. I was maxed out 100% on 4 cores while playing!! I have NEVER maxed this CPU on ANY game before, although it seems to be meeting its match.

Guess waiting for the bulldozer is the next upgrade leap I am going to take..

2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    wow, so instead of shutting down or other crashes, framerates actually went down when there wasnt enough power?

3. FathomX

FathomX Member

GPU:
    4870x2 + 4870 (1GB)
    Exactly.
    I was having a many issues crashing, stuttering, with random frame rate drops when there shouldn't be any.. 5 days in now with the 1k watt power supply. Not a single BSOD, crash, or low frame rates. Everything is smooth as butter.

**I actually see better performance in BC2 with Xfire turned off and use only the single 4870x2. With other games, xfire works very well.

That still has me stumped.

4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    a single 4870x2 = CF

more cards = more cpu drain from the drivers, & BC2 already likes to use as many cores as it can get (that or BC2 just isnt good for more than 2 cards & starts bottlenecking itself)

5. RobtotheO

RobtotheO Member

GPU:
    4870x2 with Arctic Cooler
    To those of you in this thread with 4870x2 cards - are you getting both GPUs used in BC2? I'm still on 10.4 because I tried 10.5 -> 10.8 and all of them disabled CF for me. Is it fixed in 11.5 ? I really want to upgrade as I get hangs in Fallout:NV every 20 minutes.