Alice The Madness Returns

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I can almost feel EA did their best to screw up the game, yet...

9/10 from me too :) Maybe 8.5 would be in order, but what the heck :banana:

After the Portal 2, best game this year for me.

Check out these posters for cheap hare lolz xD

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

LOL at sad Bovine Admiral

Finish your soup, girls. Bovine juveniles gave their all for it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Tracido

Tracido Guest

GPU:
    XFX ATi HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    I was merely offering an alternative I have tested & explained I won't bog down my system in the first place, you will need to see yourself. It depends on your PC & whether having the extra pull on your individual system may or may not effect your game.

Think about this though, origin uses more than 2x (seen it use up to 7x what steam does on some systems other than my own) the resources of steam when running with your game, that does NOT include all the other resources being run on the game for "Is this a bought copy?" coded along side it for the endless checks by EA either. You decide.

Thank you, this may be what was choking the hell out of my game in Queensland on my first run. Before I even twiddled with the settings at all. Gonna test these out tonight after work.

Hmm, gonna have to take a closer look later then. That's pretty much what I suspected & was upset about, disconcerting indeed. Need more info from other PC's testing it.

That's the one good & bad of our PC world. All of this stuff depends on each individual computer. Hence the whole reason proprietary crap to change code that could work fine otherwise is never a good thing, for either party involved. I mean, this is sounding like it wasn't even optimized for NVIDIA's CUDA cores let alone CPU based non-proprietary usage.

3. Tracido

Tracido Guest

GPU:
    XFX ATi HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    I was merely offering an alternative I have tested & explained I won't bog down my system in the first place, you will need to see yourself. It depends on your PC & whether having the extra pull on your individual system may or may not effect your game.

Think about this though, origin uses more than 2x (seen it use up to 7x what steam does on some systems other than my own) the resources of steam when running with your game, that does NOT include all the other resources being run on the game for "Is this a bought copy?" coded along side it for the endless checks by EA either. You decide.

Thank you, this may be what was choking the hell out of my game in Queensland on my first run. Before I even twiddled with the settings at all. Gonna test these out tonight after work.

Hmm, gonna have to take a closer look later then. That's pretty much what I suspected & was upset about, disconcerting indeed. Need more info from other PC's testing it.

That's the one good & bad of our PC world. All of this stuff depends on each individual computer. Hence the whole reason proprietary crap to change code that could work fine otherwise is never a good thing, for either party involved. I mean, this is sounding like it wasn't even optimized for NVIDIA's CUDA cores, let alone CPU based non-proprietary usage.

Yeah, it's really a rare & amazing title. Still have the original that ran on my 3dfx Voodoo3 flawlessly at 1600x1200. Biggest reason I bought it was for those developers, only wish they could get more of the actual profit than EA, bleh.

4. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Guys I've played a bit with 3d mode and although it runs at 720p (hdmi1.4a here) it loils absolutely stunning, after some adjustments made to convergence it's really a blast.
    The setting of the game was already great and deep but in 3d it feels more immersive than before.
    3d vision comp. States that you need to put the game on low detail but so far I didnt encounterd any problem running it maxed out.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

removing that physxDevice.dll helped a bit, idk i saw it was even smoother i also deleted these 2 files (aphex_clothing_legacy_x86 and apex_destructible_legacy_x86)

and this is what i tweaked; - physx high

[Engine.Engine]
    FluidSimulationTimeLimit=20.0

bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True << i need to test this some more im not sure atm if it fixes that loading stutter completely.

[Engine.ISVHacks]
    bInitializeShadersOnDemand=TRUE << was false idk maybe it will help, didnt saw any negative impact
    UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=FALSE << nv thing its best keep it off according to tweakguides its for older gpus 7000 series

[TextureStreaming]
    PoolSize=768
    MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
    MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0

[SystemSettings]
    Trilinear=True <<added
    bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=True << was false, no perf impact

[Engine.PhysicsLODVerticalDestructible]
    MaxDynamicChunkCount=900 >> i had this by accident at 9000 was 1000 by default and i didnt see a diff. in performance, lol i was gonna change to 900 but guess i mixed it.
    DebrisLifetime=50.0

so far so good, no perf. issues by that teapot boss, even with those black oil monsters around it +oil on the ground and me using pepper gun, 31 fps cap all the time :nerd:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. luke76bg

luke76bg Active Member

GPU:
    7950 boost edition
    so there's a way to cut off or reduce everything else but retain the flower and butterflies when she jump ? It is possible to reduce at minimum the of the thing ? I really would like to play at 60 with jump effect! Please help me! :p

7. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Hmm, what i do to keep a constant 60FPS no matter what is, i first off removed V-Sync from the .ini file, and disabled Dynamic shadows and i put physics on low ... i don't really noticed the difference but the game is smooth as butter ...

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    tried playing without those files, makes no difference at all.
    am at the ice levels right now.
    the game tries to copy gameplay elements from mario and zelda, but its a good thing. visuals are totally awesome in this game.

9. EarlZ

EarlZ Guest

When you say 31fps cap all the time, meaning you limited your max fps to 31 or are you saying the lowest fps you get is 31?

Someome should compile the tweaks to another post or another thread, makes it easier to look/implement/test.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm currently playing Chapter 3, which is a volcanic, fiery level, and I've been experiencing some split-second freezes again due to the sheer number of PhysX particles on-screen. While it never renders the game unplayable or anything, it is nevertheless disconcerting as I keep thinking the game is about to crash (something it, thankfully, hasn't done yet). I've also had at least one occassion where the game's framerate dipped to 10 fps during heavy combat with different types of Ruins otherwise the game tends to run at 30 fps 99.8% of the time and feels smooth and responsive.

This game is a real treat for the old peepers and the variety keeps me playing it to see what comes next.

11. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    Guys if I assign one of my gpu's to do physc will I get better performance?

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i feel like the graphics whore this time i tell you. i cannot bear the thought playing at 30fps the whole time. 60fps is sooooo much better tbh.

great game for me so far aswell. there arent any puzzles though (like mario and zelda have) , its pretty straight forward , but thats ok.
    graphics look awesome at times, and well the level design is a breath of fresh air. especially on the pc , where these type of games are really lacking imo

13. EarlZ

EarlZ Guest

I also dont find 30fps remotely smooth even if its a 30fps 100.00% of the time.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    When Alice: MR is running at 30 fps then it feels perfectly smooth to me, more so than other games that run at this framerate (Fable III for example, which feels horribly laggy in comparison). I'd personally find the constant dips from 60 fps to 30-40 fps more annoying than the intermittent ones and split-second freezes I experience at a capped 30 fps.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Just started this. Please tell me theres some way to adjust mouse movement. I hate have to move the mouse down to go up and vice versa. For me, this could be a deciding factor on whether to continue the game or not.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @alanm - There's an Invert Look option, I'm sure, in the game's Control menu.

This game is best played with a controller though not mouse and keyboard.

17. S3rgin

S3rgin Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX2080Ti FE
    Honestly, not at all.

I mean, I see no difference playing with my GTX570 alone or using the GT240 as a dedicated Physx card.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While 30fps is never 100% smooth, its still alot smoother than an unstable 60fps, so is the lesser of two evils.

Shame there are so many issues with this as sounds a great game, and from what i read shoving my 460 in to do the PhysX won't make any difference to performance, will still give it a shot though.

If the game itself was using 90% GPU usage, then it would make sense that adding PhysX would be cause this, but doesn't look like that is the case here.

Nvidia need to stop promoting GPU PhysX games so heavily if at the moment they can't make it take full advantage of their own GPU's, still, its good for those with AMD cards and newer CPU's though, as they will have similar performance to those with Nvidia cards.

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I dont agree. maybe i have better performance as you, but i get 60fps most of the time (during heavy combat a bit less).
    but when i use the pepper grinder , and fire 2 rounds at the same spot where im standing, thats where the fps drop.
    so if i move around shooting, there will be less drop.
    the platforming stuff , lava , snow all have 60fps constant for me.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've actually not had any issues yet, but i hear i might as i progress.

Personally it depends on how often the framedrops are, doesn't sound that bad from your description, but alot worse from other comments.

When i get home i will try and force some worst case scenario's so i can judge what route i will go to play the game properly.